dahur

Hillary Clinton comes out against Keystone XL

Hillary Clinton Comes Out Against Keystone XL After months of avoiding the subject, Clinton says "no."
00eb039a8150.jpg
Kate Sheppard Senior reporter/Environment and energy editor, The Huffington Post
Samantha-Jo Roth Samantha-Jo Roth is a multimedia journalist covering the 2016 presidential race in Iowa.
Posted: 09/22/2015 04:32 PM EDT | Edited: 2 hours ago

"DES MOINES, Iowa -- Hillary Clinton said at an event here on Tuesday that she opposes the Keystone XL pipeline.

"I think it is imperative that we look at the Keystone pipeline as what I believe it is: a distraction from the important work we have to do to combat climate change, and, unfortunately from my perspective, one that interferes with our ability to move forward," Clinton said.

"Therefore, I oppose it," she said. "I don't think it's in the best interest of what we need to do to combat climate change."

Clinton was secretary of state when the Obama administration began considering whether to grant a permit for the massive pipeline from Canada to Texas. Because the pipeline crosses an international border, the decision about whether the pipeline is in the national interest lies with the State Department. Clinton has been tight-lipped about it on the campaign trail, saying she would wait for President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry's decision before weighing in.

But last week, Clinton said she was going to make an announcement "soon."

"I'm putting the White House on notice," the former secretary of state said at the time. "I'm going to tell you what I think soon, because I can't wait."

An aide to the Clinton campaign told The Huffington Post on background that Clinton had refrained from making her position public because, as the former secretary of state, "she is in a unique position compared to other candidates."

"As she has said previously, she wanted to respect the president's timetable for making a decision and give her successor, Secretary Kerry, the space to conduct a thorough process," said the aide. "However, when she launched her campaign earlier this year, she expected a decision would have been made before now. Now Clinton feels she owes it to the American people to make it clear where she stands on this issue, as she has heard from Americans across the country who care deeply about this issue and who want to know the opinions of the candidates running for office."

The aide said that the Clinton campaign briefed the White House on her position before she came out publicly.

Clinton said in her Tuesday speech that she will offer a "plan for a North American approach to fighting climate change and clean energy" in the coming days.

"For me, we need to be transitioning from fossil fuels," she said, but added that it will "take time" to transition to renewable energy. "That's why I led with my two big proposals: I want to see us in my first term install a half a billion solar panels, and in my second term have enough clean power to run all the homes in America," she said.

Fellow Democratic candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he was glad Clinton had spoken out on the pipeline, but noted that he's been openly opposed to it for some time. “As a senator who has vigorously opposed the Keystone pipeline from the beginning, I am glad that Secretary Clinton finally has made a decision and I welcome her opposition to the pipeline," Sanders said in a statement. "Clearly it would be absurd to encourage the extraction and transportation of some of the dirtiest fossil fuel on the planet."

Another Democratic contender, former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, criticized Clinton for taking so long to make her views known. "On issue after issue -- marriage equality, drivers licenses for undocumented immigrants, children fleeing violence in Central America, the Syrian refugee crisis, and now the Keystone Pipeline, Secretary Clinton has followed -- not forged -- public opinion," said O'Malley. "Leadership is about stating where you stand on critical issues, regardless of how they poll or focus group."

Environmental groups who have led the campaign against Keystone were pleased to finally hear Clinton take a position.

“Make no mistake: Today is clear proof that social movements move politics," said May Boeve, executive director of 350 Action. "Thanks to thousands of dedicated activists around the country who spent years putting their bodies on the line to protect our climate, we’ve taken a top-tier presidential candidate’s ‘inclination to approve’ Keystone XL, and turned it into yet another call for rejection."

A spokesman for TransCanada, the company seeking to build the pipeline, did not directly address Clinton's comments but said in a statement the company's focus "remains on securing a permit to build Keystone XL."

"The fundamental argument for Keystone XL has been and remains -- the U.S. imports millions of barrels of oil every day, so where do Americans want their oil to come from? Do they want it from Iran and Venezuela -- where American values of freedom and democracy are not shared -- or do they want Canadian and American crude oil transported through Keystone XL?" said spokesman Davis Sheremata.

Samantha-Jo Roth reported from Des Moines and Kate Sheppard reported from Washington."

Protect the aquifers.......and Kiss those 50 permanent jobs goodbye..!

Who knew? hahahahaha. The corrupt liar is an oblameoclone. Her own State Dept said the pipeline was safe. Unions are not happy and they are clamoring for Biden.

The goo they call "oil sands" is much heavier than normal crude oil, and therefore it takes more force to push it through the pipeline. if the pipe is the type used for regular crude oil, the pipe is likely to rupture when it gets cold and the goo gets harder to move.

Another problem is what do they do with the sand that is in this goo at the refinery? It is almost certainly toxic, and they will have to put it somewhere. Ideally in the front yards of the doofuses who lobbied for this pipeline.

"And the Ogallala Aquifer has dozens of pipelines running across it transporting oil and natural gas."

Yeah, we need to shut those off too. Seems like once a week, one springs a leak somewhere. They're a disaster waiting to happen.

"And the Ogallala Aquifer has dozens of pipelines running across it transporting oil and natural gas."

Yeah, we need to shut those off too. Seems like once a week, one springs a leak somewhere. They're a disaster waiting to happen.

It would shut down the US.

Do you think we transport the shit everywhere for the fun of it?

People up north would freeze.

Most people would starve.

Shut 'em down I say. Spilling, and ruining the aquifers will >permanently< affect a good part of the U.S.

per·ma·nent (pûr′mə-nənt)
adj.
1. Lasting or remaining without essential change: "the universal human yearning for something permanent, enduring, without shadow of change" (Willa Cather).
2. Not expected to change in status, condition, or place.

Shut 'em down I say. Spilling, and ruining the aquifers will >permanently< affect a good part of the U.S.

per·ma·nent (pûr′mə-nənt)

adj.

1. Lasting or remaining without essential change: "the universal human yearning for something permanent, enduring, without shadow of change" (Willa Cather).

2. Not expected to change in status, condition, or place.

Shutting them down will permanently affect the US.

The aquifer is a slow fill aquifer and will likely be drained within the next 20 or 30 years anyway.

Who knew? hahahahaha. The corrupt liar is an oblameoclone. Her own State Dept said the pipeline was safe. Unions are not happy and they are clamoring for Biden.

Liar? Silly. Texas is against it!!!!!!!!!!!

TransCanada has been ordered by a Texas judge to cease construction on part of its controversial Keystone XL pipeline expected to run from Alberta, Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.

Texas County Court at Law Judge Jack Sinz has granted a temporary restraining order and injunction that favors Michael Bishop, a landowner whose 20-acre property outside of Houston, TX is in the path of the massive oil pipe project.

Judge Sinz’s injunction went into effect Tuesday morning and will last through December 19, at which point a court will reconvene to consider Bishop’s case.

According to the plaintiff, TransCanada misled Texans when it asked them to open their property up for the pipeline. Bishop, 64, says TransCanada pitched the project as a pipeline that would carry crude oil from the north into the gulf when they convinced landowners to sign off on construction, but now he thinks they weren’t being just.

In Texas, crude oil is defined in state and federal statutory codes as "liquid hydrocarbons extracted from the earth at atmospheric temperatures," Bishop tells the Associated Press. Since the oil extracted in Alberta is nearly solid from the start and must be “heated and diluted in order to even be transmitted,” Bishop says he was asked to agree on something completely different.

"They lied to the American people," Bishop, a Vietnam War veteran, tells AP.

On their part, TransCanada insists that US courts have already ruled in their favor during previous cases and concluded that tar sands is a form of crude oil. Bishop warns that he won’t go down easy, though.

"Bring 'em on. I'm a United States Marine. I'm not afraid of anyone. I'm not afraid of them," Bishop tells the AP. "When I'm done with them, they will know that they've been in a fight. I may not win, but I'm going to hurt them."

The Keystone XL pipeline has been marred with controversy since well before the first shovel was used to start construction. Although the project will have to eventually connected the US with Canada, President Barack Obama has refused to grant the proper permits to TransCanada for their most recent proposed route over concerns that it will disturb protected land in Nebraska.

Earlier this month, activists in Texas were arrested for barricading themselves inside part of the pipeline during construction.

"This fight in East Texas against tar sands exploitation is one and the same as our fight in the hollers of West Virginia. Dirty energy extraction doesn’t just threaten my home; it threatens the collective future of the planet,” activist Glen Collins told Common Dreams of why he risked arrest.

It would shut down the US.

Do you think we transport the shit everywhere for the fun of it?

People up north would freeze.

Most people would starve.

Yep, we need National Oil.

. Yeah . I've lived in the area most of my life. You are getting your information from the Zsa Zsa Huffington Post.

Like how the globalist witch calls for a north American effort.

Using some fake bs to sell a nau.

Scum

She waited so long to answer the question about the pipeline.

She likely had to wait for the bigger campaign donor to step forward.

So if elected President hitlery would just keep killing jobs here just like barry hussein sotero has. Huh.

She waited so long to answer the question about the pipeline.

She likely had to wait for the bigger campaign donor to step forward.

roflmao.gif . roflmao.gif . roflmao.gif

Obama%20and%20Clintons%20Laughing.jpg