Jump to content
Nick4Iowa

What makes a Liberal?

Recommended Posts

What makes a liberal? I really don't know if there is a definition that addresses all issues that we have now but I like to think compassion for another human being regardless of all beliefs that other person may have or a simple willingness to look beyond. A desire for all to have a better life even if it involves giving up some of your comfort. I used to be in agreement with a good portion of the thoughts on the other side and it took some time to realize that all those ideas where stemmed from hate pure and simple and racism played a strong part of it. I grew up in a home that maybe didn't advocate racism but it certainly didn't discourage it either. Negative remarks towards blacks, mexicans, asians were not frowned upon for the most part. I took longer than I like to admit before I started being honest with myself and the way the world is but at least my eyes opened. Anyways conservatives seem to think just shutting the door fixes most problems while all it does is just keep it from sight for a short time and you can still hear it through the door. I  see remarks all the time of zero empathy for innocent people suffering and illogical ideas to fix or remedy human tragedy, it just seems like as long as I don't have to help or be bothered is what they really want and they seem to think that cutting ourselves off from the rest of the world would be a great idea that nationalism would keep us safe from everything. Liberalism to me is having an open mind to new ideas to improve the world we and every other living creature share, that in my mind is what needs to be understood by man from now on is we don't own the world we only share it for the brief time were upon it and there are countless lives that will need this planet also after us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st & foremost, a liberal is a Democrat who understands why flat taxes suck for the working middle-class, & that the only true fair taxation is an income tax system that is truly progressive with marginal graduated tax brackets at the top income levels & not just at the bottom. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2015 at 9:08 AM, Nick4Iowa said:

I'm new here, but not new to political thinking; however I do not tend to identify with either conservatives or liberals. There are points to issues from both sides that I can agree with and understand. But the more liberal news and other media I read, the more confused I get about what make someone a liberal. I could be grasping at air here, but could you guys help me out?

Probably just so mentally weak you can't figure out your personal philosophy. It's ok my nephew didn't graduate 3rd grade either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, DennisTheMenace said:

Someone that can think for themselves and doesn't follow the company line. 

That's just being an independent thinker... subscribing to liberalism or conservatism is falling in line with a philosophy. Thanks for playing Moe Ron 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A liberal knows that we are all in this world together...  and has empathy for others...  and is willing to trust individual  people until shown that some are selfish and they should be shunned...  A liberal respects all people who respect liberals...    Conservatives seem to be greedy, with no respect for any part of the human race that is not rich..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2015 at 1:36 PM, bludog said:

 

Good summation Renegade. I would add to it:-- Too many conservatives come in this room just to rail against liberals... Or mock them. Some make sarcastic comments with no real substance. Many times you don't see these posts because I hide them as soon as I can.

 

=========================================================================

 

Cecelia - I like your dual descriptions a lot.

I kind of enjoy it when they hurl insults at me. It is always the same usual handful of generic bullshit. Extremely predictable. Papa Trump needs to teach them some new words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, Jigglebonez said:

Probably just so mentally weak you can't figure out your personal philosophy. It's ok my nephew didn't graduate 3rd grade either

Or maybe he is just trying to find his way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes a liberal as opposed to a conservative?  It all boils down to one very basic philosophical issue re the age old question of which precedes the other:  justice or order?

 

The conservative (the few principled ones there are) asserts that order must first exist so that justice can prevail.

 

The liberal asserts that justice must first exist so that order can prevail.

 

Which of these do you affirm?

 

 

When considering what the USA Founding Fathers taught, you will learn that (however inconsistent they may have been in theory as opposed to practice), the Founders asserted the liberal position.  Justice, they said, must first exist so that order could prevail in their emerging society.  They believed in it so strongly that they were willing to die for it.  They gleaned this ideal from their studies of Erasmus, from Cicero, and from the Bible which teaches  "no justice, no peace" in Isaiah 59:8.

 

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Isaiah 59:8

 

 

There is a certain irony in all this as American conservatives always claim to be good Christians. Yes, they preach a good "Christian" lesson. But they often fall short of the Bible's ideals through their incessant "thoughts and prayers".   Yet, it is liberals who  do not make public displays of pretended do goody Christianity who are the ones who actually practice this biblical ideal just about every day.    No thoughts and prayers but actions which speak louder.  That's the basic difference between conservatives and liberals.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, supraTruth said:

1st & foremost, a liberal is a Democrat who understands why flat taxes suck for the working middle-class, & that the only true fair taxation is an income tax system that is truly progressive with marginal graduated tax brackets at the top income levels & not just at the bottom. 

 

2nd, a liberal is a Democrat who believes in reducing the man-made pollution in our 🌎🌍🌏, & believes America prospers when it leads in these endeavors.

Tap⬇️#BlueWave2020💙💗🥁🔊

prPMT2016-11-8.jpg.3707048c24b0feee777df

AltFuture.jpg.0922d7e8825bb5824bfd31bf37

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, manhattantransfer said:

What makes a liberal as opposed to a conservative?  It all boils down to one very basic philosophical issue re the age old question of which precedes the other:  justice or order?

 

The conservative (the few principled ones there are) asserts that order must first exist so that justice can prevail.

 

The liberal asserts that justice must first exist so that order can prevail.

 

Which of these do you affirm?

 

 

When considering what the USA Founding Fathers taught, you will learn that (however inconsistent they may have been in theory as opposed to practice), the Founders asserted the liberal position.  Justice, they said, must first exist so that order could prevail in their emerging society.  They believed in it so strongly that they were willing to die for it.  They gleaned this ideal from their studies of Erasmus, from Cicero, and from the Bible which teaches  "no justice, no peace" in Isaiah 59:8.

 

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Isaiah 59:8

 

 

There is a certain irony in all this as American conservatives always claim to be good Christians. Yes, they preach a good "Christian" lesson. But they often fall short of the Bible's ideals through their incessant "thoughts and prayers".   Yet, it is liberals who  do not make public displays of pretended do goody Christianity who are the ones who actually practice this biblical ideal just about every day.    No thoughts and prayers but actions which speak louder.  That's the basic difference between conservatives and liberals.  

 

Actions always speak louder than words. 

 

Completely agree. 

 

I like the assessment here and the stark differences you made between conservative and liberal thinking minds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I come late to this topic...

 

My opinion regarding what a liberal might be is pretty simplistic.  Complicated analyses on just about any subject makes my brain hurt and my ADD flare up.  So here goes.  My premise will be rejected by conservative/republicans...it always is.  But I remain invested in it's accuracy.  Conservatives and republicans insist that they are supporters of "smaller gubmint." 

 

1.  They say they support reduced government spending, however, take one look at the history of the national debt and you will see that Republican presidential administrations regularly preside over the largest increases in the debt, and particularly when they are supported by republican legislative majorities.  They will always point to Obama...but Obama did what was necessary to stave off a full fledged depression in 2009, through stimulus spending and government take over of various parts of the economy.

 

2. they say they support less intrusive government...getting the government off the backs of the people and out of the people's business.  Feh.

 

So here's the difference.  Liberal Democrats and Conservative Republicans both want just as much government, just as much spending, and just as much intrusion in the lives of the people.  We just want it in different places from where they want it, for instance...

 

I want my nose in their gun locker.  They want their noses in my wife's reproductive organs.  It's not what we do or what they do, it's where we want to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IkeBana said:

Obama did what was necessary to stave off a full fledged depression in 2009, through stimulus spending and government take over of various parts of the economy

 

 

 

 

Unlike CONservatives, Obama tried to end the debt by removing all overseas tax shelters which benefit the wealthy elites.  There is no question that corporate welfare which enriches the wealthy and forces you to pay the taxes they refuse to do is what is increasing that debt every year.  

 

Right wingers only complain about debt when it is a Democrat in the White House.  At any other time it is no big deal to those unprincipled hypocrites. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, manhattantransfer said:

 

 

 

 

Unlike CONservatives, Obama tried to end the debt by removing all overseas tax shelters which benefit the wealthy elites.  There is no question that corporate welfare which enriches the wealthy and forces you to pay the taxes they refuse to do is what is increasing that debt every year.  

 

Right wingers only complain about debt when it is a Democrat in the White House.  At any other time it is no big deal to those unprincipled hypocrites. 

 

As people say they are deficit hawks when they aren't in the White House. 

 

And when there in the White House that goes all out the window and they Spend....Spend....Spend. 

 

The Republicans are nothing but a Hypocritical party that does not represent the average working man, but instead Corporations and the Rich.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, WryCatcher said:

 

“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”

JFK

 

Agree completely with this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...