Nick4Iowa

What makes a Liberal?

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 10:15 PM, AshleyXI said:

.. your not an ideologue. Yet, anyway

Such as what for example?

"Liberal" is love, community and the freedom of peace.  Conservative is just conservation.  i am tired of republican democrat and all labels.  to some freedom means getting drunk and hitting people walking in the back of the head with a bottle as they drive by them ~to truly be free together as a world we must have trust and respect differences.  i sign as a greenie these days in voting and it is worth mention that i do vote on midterm elections and think the Electoral College should be, most likely totally, removed from our Constitution.  I am thankful that our forefathers had the good sense of mind back then to write the Constitution so it can be changed with the times.  It's time.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, foggymist said:

am thankful that our forefathers had the good sense of mind back then to write the Constitution

Most states' legislatures are turning red; I'm not confident at all that things are gong to go our way.

All it takes to be trashed here as a "liberal snowflake" is to be supportive of civil and human rights

Liberals have empathy.  They give some consideration to the common good as opposed to their own welfare. 

I'm new here but ever since 43 got us in that mess in Iraq I switched parties, allowing myself to listen to a different point of view really opened my eyes and thinking that my politial opinions were based off prejudices rather than thought out conclusions.

I am a member of a trade union and what I find so ironic at times is if there was ever any issue with an employer it was always the loud mouthed right wing worker's that would demand union action to fix the problem all the while they vote for people who would dissolve the union if they could.

I always thought that being Liberal was associated directly with critical thinking, that it really is almost the same thing.  Free thinking.  It is not associated with an -ism or a set of beliefs.  Dogma of any flavor is, by definition, anti-Liberal.  Unless, of course, the dogma is that reason can serve us and we should use it.

I know that's a radical proposition for some folks, quite honestly.  It turns out even that is its own brand of dogma.  I guess that's the dogma for me.

18 minutes ago, bludog said:

Spam attack now under control

Seems to be a lot of soks.  :rolleyes:  Kids these days.....

6 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

Seems to be a lot of soks.  :rolleyes:  Kids these days.....

Silliest thing I ever saw:P:P:P:P

2 minutes ago, bludog said:

Silliest thing I ever saw:P:P:P:P

Definitely some attention seeking behavior going on there.  :P   Poor little fella(s)....

For liberals:

- Profanity and character slurs are not a substitute for rational speech.

- They do not ignore and dismiss science and statistics if they seem hostile to their positions.

- They accepts people and ideas as they are, rather than employing negative slurs and idealogical categories.

- Liberals are motivated by genuine love and compassion rather than a religious duty toward others.

- They do not practice mindless revelry as if at a New years party.  Maturity and grave responsibility are practiced instead.

- Intelligence and education are regarded as gifts rather than things to be feared and despised.

- A liberal holds facts and science in high regard.

- Liberals value compassion and common sense over beliefs and attitudes.

- They are not judgemental or hateful.

- Liberals are more likely to live spiritually than use the name of God for his/her selfish agendas and preferred doctrines.

- A true liberal detests the words and actions of demagogues.

- Freedom is valued over the right to impose arbitrary values.

- Wealth is not virtue, nor poverty sin.

- intelligent liberals recognize the danger of unbridled mental conditioning and rhetorical tactics in the media and by our 'leaders.'

- Liberals do not crave one-sided views and mindless political fervor.

- Do not think believing or saying it makes it so.

- They value political integrity versus 'looking the other way' at corruption and deception.

- Liberals respect ideas, facts, reasoning and responsible decision making.. 

A tour de force, Ronrand.  Many truths there.  And worthy personal goals for which Liberals strive.  Unfortunately, most Conservatives would not truly place much value on the majority of them.

On August 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Nick4Iowa said:

I'm new here, but not new to political thinking; however I do not tend to identify with either conservatives or liberals. There are points to issues from both sides that I can agree with and understand. But the more liberal news and other media I read, the more confused I get about what make someone a liberal. I could be grasping at air here, but could you guys help me out?

Look in the dictionary.

"for the individual and small gov"

from the Latin, liber, free.

you would never know it reading the knees news propaganda here

Gavin: ---  No need to be so condescending. A collection of opinions, by individuals who don't even know each other hardly constitutes propaganda.  You probably neglected to look up the word:).  Be that as it may, the subject of "What Makes A Liberal"  is far deeper than any dictionary definition.

Very simple,just follow the definition

liber, free, for the individual and small gov.

90% of the regurgitates never read it

40 minutes ago, Gavin1966 said:

Very simple

Not simple at all as some of the very thoughtful posts in this thread demonstrate.  If you want to copy and paste a dictionary or encyclopedia definition, feel free to do so.  But be aware that the subject of  "What Makes A Liberal" goes far deeper than parroting a definition.

On April 22, 2018 at 3:04 PM, bludog said:

Not simple at all as some of the very thoughtful posts in this thread demonstrate.  If you want to copy and paste a dictionary or encyclopedia definition, feel free to do so.  But be aware that the subject of  "What Makes A Liberal" goes far deeper than parroting a definition.

Not really, it's really believing a definition.

pity our old white fart posters never get that far as go to the definition

I prefer to consider myself an anti-"conservative".

"conservatism"-the selective misapplication of genuine Conservative principles to promote the fleecing of America by special interests.

I do believe that some issues that are supposed to be "liberal", are also defined by the special interests to be of benefit to the special interests, and are thus not genuinely Liberal.

I do believe that much of what is reported in the media as being Liberal is really "liberal".

I do believe that EVERYTHING reported as being Conservative is "conservative"

I do believe that the most important fact of the modern electronic era, is to remember that somebody wants to make money from everything you read, except maybe the posters on a political forum.

Or maybe the people posting amateur videos on how to fix your car.

On 8/4/2015 at 9:08 AM, Nick4Iowa said:

I'm new here, but not new to political thinking; however I do not tend to identify with either conservatives or liberals. There are points to issues from both sides that I can agree with and understand. But the more liberal news and other media I read, the more confused I get about what make someone a liberal. I could be grasping at air here, but could you guys help me out?

My guess is that a Liberal would be someone with an open mind to new concepts, as opposed to those who firmly believe that MONEY

determines your level in society.

3 minutes ago, liberalshatteamerica said:

Liberals ignore facts.

Cons ignore forum rules.

Just now, liberalshatteamerica said:

Derp

What do you call cons who lack the intellectual wattage to figure out what "Liberals Only" means?

9 minutes ago, liberalshatteamerica said:

Ah! Liberals only is a sign that actually says [blah, blah, blah]

No, it's a sign that says you're not going to be able to post here very shortly.

Good riddance.

9 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

Good riddance.

Suspended for a month.

14 minutes ago, bludog said:

Suspended for a month.

At some point he'll start to realize that he's wasting a lot of time and energy posting nonsense that you can 'disappear' with a few keystrokes.