Nick4Iowa

What makes a Liberal?

What makes a liberal? Compassion.

What makes a conservative? Lack of compassion.

Easy enough, isn't it.

Gruber, I don't know if you spell out your reasons for that simple, but very correct, answer anywhere, but if you ever want backup for your position, you'll find it at my new LiberalvsConservative.org site.

Yes this is the now scrambled inheritance we have from "liberal" in the 18th and 19th centuries. Apparently entropy sets in :D

But for the most lazy, Liberal is kinda like umm... anything you feel it should be... like compassion and like sharing and helping everyone forever :huh:

This is true.

There are several different strains of liberalism. New Deal liberalism is dominant in the US.

Social democracy often gets mixed with liberalism in the US, though. Which is funny, social democrats in Canada often don't like liberals. Don't hate them as much as conservatives do, but still not fans.

From Rayosun's site:

http://liberalvsconservative.org/

I would dare say that there's not a single person in these United States of America who doesn't identify with the words of Thomas Jefferson in The Declaration of Independence,

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all men are created Equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Since that is one of the best definitions of liberalism ever expressed, to whatever extent they embrace that statement Americans are all liberals, whether they know it or not!

Liberalism is simply the belief that we humans need to stick together and to fight the few powerful individuals and groups who would exploit those less powerful than themselves. We need to fight to constantly make progress together, and not to allow any of our more vulnerable brothers or sisters to be left behind.

Yes the USA is the bastion of liberalism. The first nation founded on liberalism probably.

When originally founded, the goal of Canada's Liberal Party was to emulate the United States, while the Conservatives wanted to keep with the British way if doing things... and viewed Americans as a bunch of "immoral libruhs". Actually American conservatives moved here after the revolution.

"When originally founded, the goal of Canada's Liberal Party was to emulate the United States, while the Conservatives wanted to keep with the British way if doing things... "

Canada is a great liberal country on the whole. Something like 6 generations of my ancestors lived there. On the second page of my http://LiberalvsConservative.org , I pay tribute to Tommy Douglas, a liberal former Baptist preacher who became his country's most progressive premier (between 1961 & 1971) and in 2002, was voted "the greatest Canadian of all time" by his countrymen. I even feature a video made with Douglas' own voice of a famous speech made in 1962 by "Canada's most respected person", about a fictitious 'Mouseland'. "

Tommy Douglas was actually a member of the New Democratic Party, which is the social democratic party.

Usually NDP and Liberals can get along.

The NDP does have a "lunchbox leftist" problem, similar to the phenomenon of "Bernie bros" in the US.

Tommy Douglas was actually a member of the New Democratic Party, which is the social democratic party.

Tommy Douglas was a great man.

Here's a bit of trivia: his son-in-law was the actor Donald Sutherland, and Kiefer Sutherland is his grandson.

The founder of Dubuque, Iowa was an explorer, adventurer and/or entrepreneur, named Julien Dubuque, who came from a little town on the south bank of the St. Lawrence River. He recognized the great potential for lead mining that the native Americans had been doing on a small scale on the West bank of the Mississippi River, and was later recognized for the great development that came to the area by having a city named after him. There haven't been many, if any, Dubuques who have lived there since, one reason being that he doesn't appear to have had any children, though he is reputed to have had a relationship with an indian princess. I am something like the great-great-great-grandson of one of Julien's brothers.

I think being a Liberal means to be 'flexible', as 'Liberal' in the dictionary basically means flexible.

It's the same with politically Liberal people.

In the old traditional definition Liberal meant what we call Libertarianism today. But then people started to combine social liberalism with economic liberalism, which the former is basically a contradiction of the latter, but people tried to fuse both of these elements to create a more stable society.

So what we call Liberals today are mostly people who believe in Democracy and Freedom (these things they inherited from classical Liberalism/Libertarianism) but they combined it with social Liberalism, which means Progressive views and more government intervention, at least when we feel it's really necessary.

Welcome to the forum LiberalPunk. Thanks for your well thought out post.

Welcome to the forum LiberalPunk. Thanks for your well thought out post.

Thanks for the nice welcome :) I appreciate you took the time to do that.

All News is a Liberty. Facts are only subjective to those who label News as Liberal. Trust yourself.

I took some mud and mixed it with sun and made a liberal/ yes, mud and sun can make a liberal/ yes, it is just that easy.

Peace!

A LIBERAL is one liberated from standard/conventional thinking.

I took some mud and mixed it with sun and made a liberal/ yes, mud and sun can make a liberal/ yes, it is just that easy.

Peace!

Neither CONSERVATIVE nor LIBERAL. What do you call a NON-THINKER?

RENEGADE; 1) Please re-read my originating post

2) DO NOT THINK YOU MAY "SUGGEST" HOW I SHALL COMPORT MYSELF!

3) May I suggest where you ought to shove your suggestions?

4) New does NOT mean incompetent nor passive.

5) Do you actually have any logic based idea as to What makes a Liberal?

Cincinnati, Ohia James, 77 years in existence.

Look it's not that complicated. Economically, conservatives believe that if we help the rich get even richer, they will in turn take care of the rest of us (create jobs, give to charity, in other words it will trickle down). Historically you have to go back to the Eisenhower administration to find anything repubkicans ever did for the working people. Try taking "the shortest political quiz". It will tell you where you are on the political spectrum.

Minimum wage, Medicare, medicaid, social security, public television, civil rights bill, voting rights act to name a few we can thank democrats for

When we want to know the meaning of a word, there used to be a good book we once used for guidance. Not the bible, the dictionary. Do they still print them?

I will suggest considering the purist and least manipulated definition of the word.

In short, open minded and generous. In other words, not being greedy and thereby favoring equality in all things and the willingness to make such changes even when it requires personal sacrifice.

It is from these qualities and values, liberal social and political policies are (supposed to) emerge.

Dictionaries are no longer "prescriptive" (defining proper and improper usage) and have drifted into being "descriptive" (describing how words are used in the general populous, even when used "incorrectly," without pointing out the error of improper usage. So dictionaries, in the main, have lost the authority to define what words "mean" if the correct usage and proper understanding of words is what one seeks.

Bill

So basically any thing that ends discrimination, corruption, income inequality, classes and government (or the state) and erodes away irrational thought in favor of the rational?

Hey guys, my name is David Antonie and I'm a Republican! I wanted to know your POV on why Republicans claim to be the "Party of God". Is it to get more votes? And if the Republican Party is the "Party of God" then why do they neglect to take care of the poor and fail to love, as commanded in the New Testament?

Welcome to the forum dantoni. While these are worthy questions, the Liberal's Only Room is off-limits to Conservatives. There are plenty of Liberals (and Conservatives) in the No Holds Barred sub-forum (including me) who would be happy to answer these questions. If you want a variety of responses, I suggest you start a thread in No Holds Barred.