Supposn

A flat general sales tax is less regressive than a flat income tax.

References to income taxes are generally understood to be taxes based upon net incomes; net incomes are generally understood to be gross revenues of cash or other items of value reduced by the expenditures for the purpose of acquiring revenues.

General sales taxes are generally based upon taxing gross values of cash or barter sales transactions of items. Generally intellectual property, real estate, and transferable financial instruments such as stocks, bonds or currency have not been considered as items subject to general sales taxes.

“Flat” rated taxes upon net incomes or gross sales transactions are calculated at a uniform rate the basis of those taxes.

What are the “real” or “actual” net incomes are subject to differences of opinions among accountants and among tax attorneys.

The extent of a taxes “regressive” attribute is dependent upon opinions regarding the consequential proportion of taxes paid by taxpayers relative to their net incomes.

Those on the “right” of our political spectrum are of the opinion that government’s social programs are unnecessary expenses and our “progressive” income tax rates are choosing losers and winners. Additionally believe that government social programs are unjustifiable expenses and all of this is of net economic detriment to our nation.

The general opinions of those on the “left” of our political spectrum is our income tax regulations currently are more favorable to wealthier segments of our population; thus unjustifiably reducing their taxable incomes proportion to their actual net incomes. The consequences of this all is our more regressive income tax systems. The regressive character of our current income tax systems are inadequately reduced by our current progressive income tax rates.

Additionally they believe that our government’s social programs are also inadequate and they’ are of net social and economic benefit to our nation.

I’m a populist; I contend that a flat general sales tax is less regressive than a flat income tax.

Respectfully, Supposn

References to income taxes are generally understood to be taxes based upon net incomes; net incomes are generally understood to be gross revenues of cash or other items of value reduced by the expenditures for the purpose of acquiring revenues.

General sales taxes are generally based upon taxing gross values of cash or barter sales transactions of items. Generally intellectual property, real estate, and transferable financial instruments such as stocks, bonds or currency have not been considered as items subject to general sales taxes.

“Flat” rated taxes upon net incomes or gross sales transactions are calculated at a uniform rate the basis of those taxes.

What are the “real” or “actual” net incomes are subject to differences of opinions among accountants and among tax attorneys.

The extent of a taxes “regressive” attribute is dependent upon opinions regarding the consequential proportion of taxes paid by taxpayers relative to their net incomes.

Those on the “right” of our political spectrum are of the opinion that government’s social programs are unnecessary expenses and our “progressive” income tax rates are choosing losers and winners. Additionally believe that government social programs are unjustifiable expenses and all of this is of net economic detriment to our nation.

The general opinions of those on the “left” of our political spectrum is our income tax regulations currently are more favorable to wealthier segments of our population; thus unjustifiably reducing their taxable incomes proportion to their actual net incomes. The consequences of this all is our more regressive income tax systems. The regressive character of our current income tax systems are inadequately reduced by our current progressive income tax rates.

Additionally they believe that our government’s social programs are also inadequate and they’ are of net social and economic benefit to our nation.

I’m a populist; I contend that a flat general sales tax is less regressive than a flat income tax.

Respectfully, Supposn

The only thing that matters about any tax is that is raises the revenues necessary to run the country. There is no sales tax of any kind that does that. If you raised the sales taxes that would be required to raise the revenues to run the country, 99% of the people couldn't afford to buy anything. Sales taxes have been raised in perpetuity by the states since the beginning of the Republic, and it doesn't even raise the revenues necessary to run individual states, much less the whole federal government. A progressive income tax is in place for a reason. Rich people should pay more taxes than poor people. There's no such thing as a fair tax, in which the rich and the poor pay the same thing. If you want "fair" then support labor laws that require "fair" wages be paid, which is what created a middle class in this country.

Almost half the nation pays nothing. EITC gives money to people. That is not "FAIR" to me.

Life isn't fair pal. The country is where it's at. There are no magic marbles that will make it all better tomorrow.

If you want fair, that requires 1950's-60's labor situation.

Which has been crushed by the same people who bitch because they have to pay more taxes.

Which is why you have more EITC being paid out.

See how that works?

You fucking people are unbelievable.

Almost half the nation pays nothing. EITC gives money to people. That is not "FAIR" to me.

What is unfair is your thinking and attacking the people instead of attacking corporations, foreign aid and the military budget we don't need. There is something fundamentally wrong with your priorities.

Do you notice this graph and what it means??

Corporate-Income-Tax-as-a-Share-of-GDP_i

Corporate income has soared in this time of Hope and Change. Sales taxes unfairly burden the poor and middle class.

Respectfully, Supposn

I live in Tennessee where there is no State income tax...the sales tax here is murder.

I moved here for Pennsylvania where I thought 6% was a lot. In PA a lot of necessities are not taxed; well they sure are here.

The only thing that matters about any tax is that is raises the revenues necessary to run the country. There is no sales tax of any kind that does that. If you raised the sales taxes that would be required to raise the revenues to run the country, 99% of the people couldn't afford to buy anything. Sales taxes have been raised in perpetuity by the states since the beginning of the Republic, and it doesn't even raise the revenues necessary to run individual states, much less the whole federal government. A progressive income tax is in place for a reason. Rich people should pay more taxes than poor people. There's no such thing as a fair tax, in which the rich and the poor pay the same thing. If you want "fair" then support labor laws that require "fair" wages be paid, which is what created a middle class in this country.

Skews13, currently USA’s major our progressively rated federal taxes upon net incomes. Some advocate our major tax revenue sources should be transformed to a basis of net incomes to a basis of sales taxes and some provisions should be made to compensate lower income purchasers for their increased federal taxes due to the transformation of tax basis; (i.e. some advocate the “Fair” tax).

Sales taxes are usually flat rated taxes. Flat tax rates themselves are neither regressive or progressive and a general sales tax is applied equally to all but general sales taxes are (comparatively to progressive taxes upon net incomes), more regressive than a progressive tax rates applied to net incomes.

But due to the political and accounting complexity, the calculation of commercial expenditures that reduce taxpayers’ taxable incomes are drastically overstated and such reductions from gross incomes are seldom applicable to wage and salary incomes. The losses of tax revenues due to legal and fraudulent practices are of greater amounts among higher income individuals and enterprises are grater (than lesser earners) and their aggregate proportion of our total tax revenue losses are greater. Our federal progressive tax rates upon net incomes are effectively much less progressive as we are being led to believe.

If we could successfully simplifying our income tax regulations could somewhat mitigate but certainly not approach eliminating the understating of net incomes and the consequential losses of income tax revenues.

Unlike the calculation of net incomes, the tasks of calculation and enforcement for general sales taxes are much simpler and less expensive to perform. General s purchases rather than calculations for income tax forms better reflect the ACTUAL net incomes of individual taxpayers.

Thus a flat tax upon net incomes would be more regressive than a flat tax upon general sales.

This statement in itself is a logical conclusion but does not itself advocate anything.

Within the thread “ http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/174111-can-the-fair-tax-ever-be-passed-and-enacted/ “ I do state and explain a federal tax proposal.

Respectfully, Supposn

republicans and corporations and the rich moved tens of millions of jobs and
US factories to asia, and

republicans and corporations and the rich have hired tens of millions of illegals, so

republicans have put Americans out of work and onto the welfare rolls.

republicans are busting unions, making Americans unemployed and more people on welfare

such as in scum walker's wisconsin.

republicans believe in the right to slavery work states,

republicans give tax cuts to the rich and let corporations hide profits offshore to evade

paying taxes, so republicans have to fund the govt with deficit spending and adding

trillions to the national debt. republicans in congress make up the budget, not the president.

republicans give trillions of dollars in farm subsidies to welfare farmer queens to sit on their

fat asses all day and do nothing.

You have to be a complete fucking moron to work for a paycheck but then, still vote for

any republican which is a vote against yourself and your own family.

republicans and corporations and the rich moved tens of millions of jobs and

US factories to asia, and

republicans and corporations and the rich have hired tens of millions of illegals, so

republicans have put Americans out of work and onto the welfare rolls.

republicans are busting unions, making Americans unemployed and more people on welfare

such as in scum walker's wisconsin.

republicans believe in the right to slavery work states,

republicans give tax cuts to the rich and let corporations hide profits offshore to evade

paying taxes, so republicans have to fund the govt with deficit spending and adding

trillions to the national debt. republicans in congress make up the budget, not the president.

republicans give trillions of dollars in farm subsidies to welfare farmer queens to sit on their

fat asses all day and do nothing.

You have to be a complete fucking moron to work for a paycheck but then, still vote for

any republican which is a vote against yourself and your own family.

William1444, it shouldn’t surprise anyone who reads any of my posts that I have preferences regarding persons and political parties; but the underlying concepts, causes and consequences of what has, does or will occur have always been of my greater concerns.

Your post touched on subjects that are of my particular interests and concerns; your post touches on our nation’s economy, numbers of jobs, and global trade policy.

You find fault with corporations that are required to function within the legal and commercial environment that’s determined by our governments’ legislators and the preferences of those corporations’ customers.

You find Fault with the Republican Party that must satisfy their political funding contributors without which they cannot communicate with the voters and they must also satisfy those that take the trouble to vote and they must also hope that education of those voters facilitate their choosing the more capable legislators. I am a populist; I find much fault with the Republican Party and the Democratic Party is not particularly worthy of my vote.

With regard to our global trade policy, google the Wikipedia article entitled “Import Certificates” and the paragraphs entitled “Trade balances’ affects upon their nation’s GDP” excerpted from the “Balance of trade “article

or refer to the thread “ http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/165389-reduce-the-trade-deficit;-increase-gdp-median-wage/ ”.

Respectfully, Supposn

I live in Tennessee where there is no State income tax...the sales tax here is murder.

I moved here for Pennsylvania where I thought 6% was a lot. In PA a lot of necessities are not taxed; well they sure are here.

http://www.tax-rates.org/tennessee/sales-tax

The Tennessee state sales tax rate is 7%.

Alaska

No Sales Tax

Delaware

No Sales Tax

Montana

No Sales Tax

New Hampshire

No Sales Tax

Oregon

No Sales Tax

Colorado

2.9%

Alabama

4%

Georgia

4%

Hawaii

4%

Louisiana

4%

New York

4%

South Dakota

4%

Wyoming

4%

Missouri

4.23%

Oklahoma

4.5%

North Carolina

4.75%

North Dakota

5%

Wisconsin

5%

New Mexico

5.13%

Virginia

5.3%

Maine

5.5%

Nebraska

5.5%

Arizona

5.6%

District of Columbia

5.75%

Ohio

5.75%

Utah

5.95%

Florida

6%

Idaho

6%

Iowa

6%

Kentucky

6%

Maryland

6%

Michigan

6%

Pennsylvania

6%

Puerto Rico

6%

South Carolina

6%

Vermont

6%

West Virginia

6%

Kansas

6.15%

Illinois

6.25%

Massachusetts

6.25%

Texas

6.25%

Connecticut

6.35%

Arkansas

6.5%

Washington

6.5%

Nevada

6.85%

Minnesota

6.88%

Indiana

7%

Mississippi

7%

New Jersey

7%

Rhode Island

7%

Tennessee

7%

California

7.5%
The FairTax will cover your essentials sales tax for a nominal family size.
KJ

Respectfully, Supposn

The only taxes should be sales tax. This way rich people would pay more taxes and so would the welfare rats.

Get rid of corporate taxes because they get passed on to the consumer. Get rid on income taxes so that the cost of labor goes down.

The only taxes should be sales tax. This way rich people would pay more taxes and so would the welfare rats.

Get rid of corporate taxes because they get passed on to the consumer. Get rid on income taxes so that the cost of labor goes down.

LibtardSaidWhat, I’m a proponent of the Fair tax but I do not believe it’s politically or economically practical to replace our entire federal taxes on net incomes with a general sales tax. It would be financially imprudent and politically less feasible and may be impossible to pass a bill transferring our entire federal taxes upon net incomes to a sales tax in a single step.

I expect that after one of the incremental enacting steps, we’d have a federal sales tax approaching an unacceptable tax rate and transfers of the revenue sources would be discontinued.

If I’m correct we’ll have a hybrid federal tax system. Everyone will pay sales taxes; only higher income earners will pay taxes upon their net incomes.

If I’m wrong, federal income taxes could be entirely eliminated.

I also believe as long as there’s any federal taxes upon net incomes, both individuals and corporate enterprises should be taxed. Otherwise entrepreneurs would demonstrate little personal incomes; their incomes would be labeled and tax sheltered as their corporations’ earnings.

Respectfully, Supposn

http://www.tax-rates.org/tennessee/sales-tax

The Tennessee state sales tax rate is 7%.

Knee Jerk...thank you for not shunning me like Supposn does BUT the sales tax here is like 8+% to 10 %.

I wish it was 7% !

BTW: Philly has a 2% city sales tax. If you were going to buy a (sic) $25,000 car would you buy it in the city or go to one of the BIG Counties and save some $$$.

Knee Jerk...thank you for not shunning me like Supposn does BUT the sales tax here is like 8+% to 10 %.

I wish it was 7% !

BTW: Philly has a 2% city sales tax. If you were going to buy a (sic) $25,000 car would you buy it in the city or go to one of the BIG Counties and save some $$$.

Old Mack, I’m not “shunning” you but your posts to this thread do not address the topic of general sales taxes advantages or disadvantages when compared to other methods of acquiring tax revenues.

Respectfully, Supposn

Well if your going to be like that; please put me on your shun list.

Thank you and God bless.

I wish it was 7% !

And THAT is what gov'ts 'job' is supposed to be.

To 'help' you decide where and what to buy.

Too much tax equals less revenue.

I suppose an income tax free individual would prefer taxes be mainly by income, but the general economic benefits are too great to ignore.

The fairTax plan pays enough of the federal sales taxes for a nominal family based on size, that covers the essentials.

States, however, will not have income taxes either, so they will have to stop funding high speed rail and gang banger tattoo removal etc.

There already isn't enough real money money.

Fed money supply expansion just debases the currency.

FINAL-PDF-Food-Police-open-TheBlaze-Maga

KJ

Life isn't fair pal.

Ironic that this statement comes from a liberal. The fact of the the matter is that almost half the working people in this country are effectively taxed $0 and some even get money from the government.

I say these people aren't allowed to use the public services that the rest of us pay for. No driving on the roads, no police services, no fire services, no welfare, no EBT, nothing. It is harsh, but the government has effectively said they are a "special" class of people.

Until everyone pays something, even 1/2%, in federal and state taxes, that shall be my understanding.

1/2% on a $10000 income is $50. They can't afford $1 per paycheck for the USA and their State? Bullshit. I bet they spend that in cigarettes.