Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeKing

Progressivism. Not so liberal

Is there anybody here promoting the ideas of progressivism? For those who do not know what they are here is a list composed by Robert Nisbet, American sociologist, professor at the University of California, Berkeley:

1. value of the past
  2. nobility of Western civilization
  3. worth of economic/technological growth
  4. faith in reason and scientific/scholarly knowledge obtained through reason
  5. intrinsic importance and worth of life on earth

To my mind some of this idea not only contradict to each other but also conflict with the notion of present-day liberalism. We tend to value the past much less than our conservative opponents. The past is usually something barbaric and Medieval for liberals. Euro-centrism is defined as one of the sins of Western civilization by liberals themselves. Economic and technological growth is praised by almost every political movement. Faith in reason is applicable to conservatives, liberals, Tea Party members and whoever takes part in the political process, that's the way political decisions should be made.

Where are human rights and liberties btw?

image003.jpg

Here comes my question: is it really liberal ideology or progressivism should be considered a mix of political thoughts?

It seems to me that the liberal movement of today is alot more liberal than progressivism. Our stance on human rights is alot more rigid and yes, our respect for the past is definitely not as big as those of the conservatives

I thought this wass a chat room its getting pretty boring in here

Wow you guys keep your room its too boring for me

The terms are too baggage laden to really be useful. The media sound box continually uses those terms, and they often mean a wide variety of things, often contradictory. The meaning has become so abused, that it seems to mean different things to different people. For example, I don't see how the self-proclaimed conservatives have any consideration for the past what-so-ever. Yet some self-proclaimed conservatives give lip service to the past. It is not clear what respect for the past means. I have seen many reports from conservatives who insist upon re-writing the past, which to me is a great disrespect for the past.

I don't know if I understand this thread. Liberalism, I believe should be more conservative in essence longing for FDR's New Deal or Johnson's war on poverty, or possibly, Theodore Roosevelt's Trust Busting campaigns. Western worlds dominance however isn't all pretty. Much of it is based in racism and has resulted in continued conflicts the world over.

There are great works and great thinkers from the past we should always look upon, of this there should be no doubt. Progressives should be willing to understand the past in the effort learn from it. Capitalism has some good qualities to it but one shouldn't think it's all about the almighty dollar. It's about human betterment which includes taking care of the environment. Simply put, all reforms should be taken with much forethought as well as a good understanding of the past. When I think of liberalism, I think about art and literature as well as attempting to understand different cultures without being pushy and trying to change other cultures different than our own.

We can learn a lot from other lands and borrow the best and share what we know without continually exploiting poorer nations.

In the US we have advanced weapons systems that we sell or if you will, donate to other countries (so-called allies who don't always have decent human rights records). In this way we have helped much of the world to have more advance weapons systems, which means we need more advanced weapons systems to have the most advanced weapons systems. We all should wonder where that strategy will wind up long-term.

Peace!