Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

wondering ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_in_His_Museum#/media/File:C_W_Peale_-_The_Exhumation_of_the_Mastadon.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_in_His_Museum#/media/File:C_W_Peale_-_The_Artist_in_His_Museum.jpg

From Art History in college many years ago I was so taken by Charles Wilson Peale.

Alexander Pope's poem Pierian Sring -

"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again. Fir'd at first sight with what the Muse imparts, In fearless youth we tempt the heights of Arts, While from the bounded level of our mind Short views we take, nor see the lengths behind; But more advanc'd, behold with strange surprise New distant scenes of endless science rise! So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try, Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky, Th' eternal snows appear already past, And the first clouds and mountains seem the last; But, those attain'd, we tremble to survey The growing labours of the lengthen'd way, Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes, Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!"

In Greek mythology, it was believed that drinking from the Pierian Spring would bring you great knowledge and inspiration. Thus, Pope is explaining how if you only learn a little it can "intoxicate" you in such a way that makes you feel as though you know a great deal. However, when "drinking largely sobers" you, you become aware of how little you truly know.

I do feel lost in the pol that sits most days

And I don't want to misconstrue what people say

I just would like to do my best to listen more so as to understand

and find ways to push towards progress for all

Peace!

Interesting post. This concept should be widely taught. I phrase it, not so beautifully, as the more you know, the more you know. you know you don't know.

The real idea of learning is not to learn the answers, but to try to figure out the questions. Use what you know to ask questions that lead to more and better questions. I am hoping this brings humility, not pride.

LOL I sure agree with that a little learning is a dangerous thing and that why we have so many shootings and killings because, in our public school kids are getting too little learning

Interesting post. This concept should be widely taught. I phrase it, not so beautifully, as the more you know, the more you know. you know you don't know.

The real idea of learning is not to learn the answers, but to try to figure out the questions. Use what you know to ask questions that lead to more and better questions. I am hoping this brings humility, not pride.

yeah, just throwing it out there. You're right in what you say. Indeed, we all need a good dose of humility and the right questions don't come easy.

Peace!

LOL I sure agree with that a little learning is a dangerous thing and that why we have so many shootings and killings because, in our public school kids are getting too little learning

Me too azZ, me too!

we need good teachers who can help students learn how to put things into perspective. This is needed both for children and adults! Myself included!

Peace!