Since it is impossible to have intelligent conversations in the NHB forum, I thought that I would attempt to have one here. I realize that the posts might be few and far between but what the heck.

What should President Obama do about Iraq? It doesn't seem like a good idea to send troops again - but maybe you think that he should.

Will bombing the ISIS troops be enough? It might not be.

Nor does it seem like a good idea to do nothing.

What do you think would be the correct course of action?

Do nothing. We have already spent far to much blood to stop something that is never going to end just because we want it to. It saddens and angers me that that so many American service men and women have died for nothing. Deep down we all knew how this would end didn't we?

Military aid to the Iraqi government will only find its way into the hands of the insurgents, or worse, into the stockpiles of Iran.

Any monetary aid will only go into the Swiss bank accounts of government officials who are preparing to leave the country.

Any humanitarian aid will only go into warehouses to rot.

Iraq is a S**thole. Let's all just admit that and end it already.

The problem is that ISIS' goal is to conquer not only Iraq but also Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, and Israel.

Sending troops would probably be a mistake but we should do SOMETHING. I'm not quite sure what that something should be though.

we just need to evacuate all the Sunni who helped us during the war as well as the African Iraqis of Basrah & especially all the Christians.

Then create fortress Kurdistan and withdrawal all of our Mid East forces to Armenia, Georgia, and Israel... and call it day.

We're broke and cannot afford any more Mid East wars... thats why we are not doing crap about Syria.

• 2 months later...

Since it is impossible to have intelligent conversations in the NHB forum, I thought that I would attempt to have one here. I realize that the posts might be few and far between but what the heck.

What should President Obama do about Iraq? It doesn't seem like a good idea to send troops again - but maybe you think that he should.

Will bombing the ISIS troops be enough? It might not be.

Nor does it seem like a good idea to do nothing.

What do you think would be the correct course of action?

Unless or until the lives of Americans are threatened on some large scale we should stay out of it. While the recent beheadings of American journalists are deplorable we should not use them as a pretext to take significant action at the moment. When we do act we should use air strikes, drones, or special forces to attack specific targets quickly. Moreover we need to address threat posed by radicalized Muslims here at home. This will involve law enforcement and work with civic institutions in the American Muslim community.

What we must not do is undertake another massive land based offensive with troops or arm Muslims in Syria or Iraq.

Thanks so much for posting this topic.

One thing that has crossed my mind more than once is the videos I have seen on broadcast news of ISIS running up and down roads in Iraq in military style vehicles (jeep, trucks and tanks). It seems to me that if we know what areas ISIS controls, it should not be a problem to eliminate all such vehicles moving around in their area of control. And from the air (drones or fighters). I haven't seen such a tactic reported on the news but they do not usually devote enough time to ISIS to really inform anyone very well.

Other than air strikes I cannot imagine the USA engaging in another ground war in Iraq or Syria. Been there. Done that. With less than decent results.

JMO, of course. YMMV.