Phuture

What happened to the 60's liberals

Whatever happened to the anti-war, pro-liberty, anti-prohibition (drugs), freedom minded, pro-privacy liberals from the 1960's?

The current neo-liberals seem to be something different altogether.

I'm one of them. In my middle seventies now. Don't care for any sort of illicit drugs. I am not a neo-liberal as I understand the term. Don't like labels anyway. Not quite so inclined to act first and talk later like I used to. Emotionalism has given way to realistic, pragmatic thinking. Understanding of conservatism is greater than ever before. I've come to many conclusions. One is that those who we call conservatives cannot help the way they think. From their perspectives the world needs what they have to offer. This tends to be born out by the fact that we can never seem to reach common ground in arguing with any of them. My conclusion is that the only way forward for all of us is through meeting on neutral ground. Call this the "sacred middle path" of the Buddha if you like. I think it's the only viable way forward.

I am convinced that those who founded America intended the best ideas of the left and the right (revolutionaries and torys in those days) shoud be combined into a new form that satisfies all. In this way American democracy creates a synthesis which is then used as a path forward a few steps. Then the process repeats itself.

Posted · Hidden by NaughtyWord, May 22, 2014 - Not a liberal
Hidden by NaughtyWord, May 22, 2014 - Not a liberal

actually, less than 5% of the population supported the revolutionary war at its beginning, and at most, 10% EVER did, (increase due to Redcoat increased repression). Our freedom is the result of the heroism and vision of a VERY small fraction of the populace.

if you REALLY want to know the difference, read a short essay by Ayn Rand, "Apollo vs Dionysus" contrasting the chaos of Woodstock with the order of (same number of people) assembled for the launch of Apollo 13.

Whatever happened to the anti-war, pro-liberty, anti-prohibition (drugs), freedom minded, pro-privacy liberals from the 1960's?

Two or more.

One that was in the whitehouse runs this money laundry scheme called a Global initiative as he and his wife occupied the east wing residency were in the Whitehouse between jan 1993 and jan of 2000, Now others are the czars in the whitehouse writing the scripts Obama quotes from the telepromter.

We're still here. It's kinda like the neoliberals have gotten more media attention like the Koch Brothers owned tea party has and taken away from the sane republicans in the republican party.

It's hard to know exactly what changes a culture. Even hundreds of years later, different historians will have different theories.

However, I think the media, which is mostly owned by corporations, contributed to the change in subtle ways. It made fun of the hippies, which probably made some people embarrassed to be liberal. The media also states frequently that most voters don't like liberals. This kind of thing has a suggestive effect on many people, a little like hypnosis.

Plus, the media has done many other subtle attacks on liberals.

Great question and a troubling one for me. I'm 68, was in sds and....what happened? Somehow, that line from "The Natural"; "life didn't turn out the way I planned" pops into my mind. I've raised a family, had working class jobs my whole life and still volunteer politically (Ami Bera) but that brave new world we saw back then has sadly disappeared. I think we underestimated the ability of the wealthy to split the have-nots away from their economic interests and divide the vote;which is of course, the name of the game in a democracy

Some of us are still around, though I think your definition of 'Liberal' is probably off a little. I was, and still am, what I guess would be called a'Paleo-Liberal' these days, a fan of FDR, Sam Rayburn, and LBJ, Moynihan, et al. We're widely loathed these days, and most of us ceased to be yellow dog Democrats when the DNC abandoned their working class base in the early '80's and the 'Super Delegate Rule' made the Democratic Party a top down run 'Party' operated for the benefit fo the 'brie and chardonnay' 'neo-liberals', who aren't really 'liberals'.

This article has a reasonably good synopisis of the neo-liberals now running the Party, though I disagree with the author that it just began with Obama; Clinton sold the American working class down the river without so much as blinking, almost immediately after being inaugerated as the first neo-liberal Democrat elected after the change in the Party's direction. Ralph Nader is about the closet equivalent most people have heard of these days that more fits the real liberalism. Of course the neo-liberals hate him no end, many at least as much as they froth over Bush.

http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2730/the-neo-liberal-war-on-blue-collar-whites-and-the-breakup-of-the-democratic-party/

Chris Bowers, Obama supporter and writer at Open Left, dreams of a cultural change in an Obama Democratic Party which is almost a parody of the brie and Chardonnay stereotype:

There should be a major cultural shift in the party, where the southern Dems and Liebercrat elite will be largely replaced by rising creative class types. Obama has all the markers of a creative class background, from his community organizing, to his Unitarianism, to being an academic, to living in Hyde Park to shopping at Whole Foods and drinking PBR. These will be the type of people running the Democratic Party now, and it will be a big cultural shift from the white working class focus of earlier decades.

Further illustrating their break with traditional liberalism, Markos Moulitsas has declared himself a libertarian Democrat, in other words: a politically correct Republican. These neo-liberals are really proposing a Party run by those who have little need for government and instead focus on identity politics, environmentalism, post-partisan government, and the rejection of American exceptionalism. The neo-liberals demonize the traditional Democratic base of poor white voters precisely because these voters rely on government and expect their leadership to fight partisan battles on their behalf. They are also deeply patriotic and weary of the moral relativism put forward by the likes of Jeremiah Wright. .....

In whatever form our Party takes, the perpetrators of this breakup are the Obama campaign and the neo-liberals. It’s their demonization of low-income white Americans which is largely the cause of our coalition’s breakup. Wilentz continues:

Without a majority of those voters, the Democrats have, since the party’s inception in the 1820s, been incapable of winning the presidency. The Obama advocates declare, though, that we have entered an entirely new political era. It is not only possible but also desirable, they say, for Democrats to win by turning away from those whom “progressive” pundits and bloggers disdain variously as “
,” “
,” “
” whites, “rubes, fools, and hate-mongers” who live in the nation’s “
.”

Of course it's always denied no end, but the above cites are fairly accurate.

Where are they. I know exactly what your getting at, it's the flawed conservative belief that they all smartened up and turn into God fearin patriots that worship eagles, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Back in the 60s and 70s almost all old folk were conservative right wing but today that's all change with huge numbers of Liberal seniors.

The 60's liberals were met with serious violence from the government. Some groups like the Weathermen and the Black Panthers fought back with violence in return, but were they were quite literally destroyed. The movement as a whole realized that change would require high degrees of blood shed, which went against their core belief; they turned the movement inward, as in Gandhi's words, “be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

Then in the early 70's marketing researchers like Daniel Yankelovich, realized that the cultural movement started in the 60's was a marketable resource. It resulted in the movement being integrated into mainstream society. Media campaigns eventually served to discredit the remaining hard-core members with a more modern application of the Mohawk Valley formula.

Personally, I think the liberal movement needs to find a new revolutionary aesthetic.

The Neoliberal movement, in my opinion, has nothing to do with grassroots liberalism, it was always been an establishment concoction.

A liberal never stays the same. While its basic emphasis on liberty underwritten by equality remains the same liberal methods and programs always change. The liberals of the New Deal Era 1930s and 1940s were different from those who supported the Great Society in the 1960s. Today's liberals still think an active and responsive government is needed but they have more faith in local programs and action by states. This separates them from the big ambitious planners of the Great Society and War On Poverty.

What happened to the sixties liberals ?

They evolved.