Finally - Warm Enough To Till The Garden Beds

I was wondering when Global Warming would finally catch up. 7 large raised beds, and all were still slightly frozen in the center. Go figure. I never ever fuss over a garden. I watch neighbors breaking their backs grooming their gardens. For what??? You loosen up the soil about 8 or 10 inches; and you level it slightly. Check the PH, maybe some hydrated lime. Never bother to rake out the small sticks - stems. Just more organic matter that will break down & work in. End of the month - beginning of May, in go the vegetable plants. Then the supports where necessary - then the irrigation timer, drip lines, & the drip emitters - then the mulch. Garden is done. Fish emulsion fertilizer once a week.

• I usually stop at the farm where I get the vegetable plants I didn't start from seed - pick up 6 or 8 bales of straw - hay; run them through the shredder and spread it 3 or 4 inches thick at the base of the plants ( on top of the irrigation emitters ). No weeds - saves water. Works great. The entire irrigation system cost me about $150, five years ago. Still works great. I ( for the money ) recommend an Orbit irrigation timer. Usually two separate zones if you need them. Only ever needed one zone - just a big loop around the entire garden perimeter with emitter - drip lines branching out. Hour or ( depending on the heat ) two hours in the morning & the same in the evening. Uses a fraction of the water you waste hosing down a garden.

the good thing about the deep freeze we had , it killed a lot of insects we wont have the problem we had last year.

I have to go container this year my puppy like the area where the garden was , to lie in and watch people , and dig she like fresh dirt .

the good thing about the deep freeze we had , it killed a lot of insects we wont have the problem we had last year.

I have to go container this year my puppy like the area where the garden was , to lie in and watch people , and dig she like fresh dirt .

Thanks for the reeeemind. Getting the grandkids a dog, so 4 foot high chicken wire around the beds. Some words of wisdom: Never promise a child you will get a dog, believing the kid will forget.

I am eating beets,chard, snow peas, spinach,radish now. Will plant cukes, okra, squash, green beans, along with tomato, Chile,eggplant,transplants today...

Past two - three years, not a good cucumber crop. I figured it's the decline of honey bees. The bumble bees do their best, but some are just too fat to squeeze into the flowers. I have my mantis egg cases at the ready. Also only heirloom seed - plants. Been saving seed since day one.

If you decide on raised beds, I recommend finding a finishing rake used in landscaping. Long handle - wide rake ( up to 4 feet ), Aluminum - so light weight. Easier to rake out large sticks & just flip it over to level out the soil.