Nobody but us insomniacs?

What?

You always claim to be conservative, PopUp.

Now you are fretting about enviro damage?

That is purely a liberal position, you know.

But, its cool. We do need mining and solar farms, as everything we own and use is either mined or grown.

Mining today in the US is strictly regulated, and a full reclamation will be done to restore mined land. That is guaranteed by a huge reclamation bond mines have to put up before they start.

prove it you pathetic liar, its a lib position until it causes fires in calif...

and they need someone to blame like you just did with these lies the left keeps parroting

if you cared about the planet you would stop spewing pollution from your polluted mouth

I have seen the devastation strip mining has caused first hand. mountains destroyed towns that have disappeared.... its all about the profit not the people.

I'm in PA's Coal Regions - strip mining is not pretty; but ( BUT ), once we are all ancient history - the Earth will begin the clean up process. Really won't take long in geologic time - a few million years, and good to go again. Next time, maybe God will stop at the animals. Certainly as entertaining as man - and far less damage done.

I'm in PA's Coal Regions - strip mining is not pretty; but ( BUT ), once we are all ancient history - the Earth will begin the clean up process. Really won't take long in geologic time - a few million years, and good to go again. Next time, maybe God will stop at the animals. Certainly as entertaining as man - and far less damage done.

how much would it cost to heat your house with coal ?

is coal running out ?

Strip mining is one of mankind's great sins against nature. Surely we can do better?

in so cal they dig pits and sell the rock and sand. then they fill the hole with garbage, then they built a new race track on top

google map "irwindale speedway" you can see the neighboring holes...

from this

2003-09-02-10-16-49_600.jpg

to this

Irwindale-Speedway-closes-its-doors.jpg

in so cal they dig pits and sell the rock and sand. then they fill the hole with garbage, then they built a new race track on top

google map "irwindale speedway" you can see the neighboring holes...

from this

2003-09-02-10-16-49_600.jpg

to this

Irwindale-Speedway-closes-its-doors.jpg

That's good. But what are they doing for the mountaintops stripped in West Virginia, out west, and elsewhere?

how much would it cost to heat your house with coal ?

is coal running out ?

About half as much as with fuel oil. A dollar's worth of coal produces twice the heat that a dollar's worth of fuel oil produces. My area - Anthracite Coal, and it burns about as clean as natural gas. Not so with soft coal. Anthracite is like black glass. With coal heat, there is a constant fire ( small fire ) in the basement stoker, so the thermal mass is continually up to temperature & it radiates constantly. With oil - gas, it's off & on. Also, in my area, regardless of the cost of coal, it will ALWAYS be available. The Anthracite Coal fields are not enormous, but far from being depleted.

About half as much as with fuel oil. A dollar's worth of coal produces twice the heat that a dollar's worth of fuel oil produces. My area - Anthracite Coal, and it burns about as clean as natural gas. Not so with soft coal. Anthracite is like black glass. With coal heat, there is a constant fire ( small fire ) in the basement stoker, so the thermal mass is continually up to temperature & it radiates constantly. With oil - gas, it's off & on. Also, in my area, regardless of the cost of coal, it will ALWAYS be available. The Anthracite Coal fields are not enormous, but far from being depleted.

I used to have a coal pot belly stove, it was out of a caboose, but they dont sell coal around here, it was too small for wood,

After WW2, my father contacted many federal agencies with some very sound advice. He suggested, the already established war recycling effort just be continued, since the system was already in place & functioning. Nobody took him seriously. He was gaining ground from malaria & didn't have the strength to hammer his point home. Such a simple concept - that would have eliminated hundreds & hundreds of landfills & dump sites.

That's good. But what are they doing for the mountaintops stripped in West Virginia, out west, and elsewhere?

didnt joni mitchel say pave paradise and put up a parking lot ?

do you think covering the land with freeways, cities and garbage is any better ?

if there were less people there would be less strip mining...

so which one do you prefer ?

do you think its better that the calif forest were shut down by the libloons and allowed to burn instead of being harvested and managed ?

the forests are considered a "renewable resource"

I am not trying to argue that strip mines are good, I just think we need to look at the big picture and manage things responsibly

I propose a tax on big cities for requiring too many resources to be wasted...

calif is out west...

what are you doing about it ? heating your home ? driving your car ? buying things delivered by truck, train, ship or plane ? wrapped in plastic ?

or do you grow and raise all your own food and live off the land ?

didnt joni mitchel say pave paradise and put up a parking lot ?

do you think covering the land with freeways, cities and garbage is any better ?

if there were less people there would be less strip mining...

so which one do you prefer ?

do you think its better that the calif forest were shut down by the libloons and allowed to burn instead of being harvested and managed ?

the forests are considered a "renewable resource"

I am not trying to argue that strip mines are good, I just think we need to look at the big picture and manage things responsibly

I propose a tax on big cities for requiring too many resources to be wasted...

One of our astronauts said, from space, major cities look like enormous parasites covered with smog, with tentacles reaching out to suck in nutrients. Accurate observation.

• Try to imagine Manhattan without fresh water for 24 hours.

Me, I just take a ride out the road & fill up at a small artesian well that's been flowing constantly for 100+ years. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back, during a test hole drilling ( to locate coal seams - beds ), they hit water + the rest is history.

calif is out west...

what are you doing about it ? heating your home ? driving your car ? buying things delivered by truck, train, ship or plane ? wrapped in plastic ?

or do you grow and raise all your own food and live off the land ?

Very big ( raised bed ) garden with auto - drip irrigation & room for more; but I share with the neighborhood. So far - just freezing food, but canning would be more efficient. Have all my mother's canning ( Mason jar ) equipment; but must find the nearest Amish community & beg for help. They are very agreeable.

What?

You always claim to be conservative, PopUp.

Now you are fretting about enviro damage?

But, its cool. We do need mining and solar farms, as everything we own and use is either mined or grown.

Mining today in the US is strictly regulated, and a full reclamation will be done to restore mined land. That is guaranteed by a huge reclamation bond mines have to put up before they start.

The point I am making to the libby environs is that their holy grail solar power actually has virtually the same environmental impact as other - shall we say - conventional approaches. Wind turbines are no different...

1. I figured out why these past 3 or so years, my cucumber crops are puny. The flowers are small & are best pollinated by the small honey bees. Honey bees are & have been scarce, & so, all I have are the fat bumble bees. They do their best, but can't squeeze into the flowers like the streamlined honey bee.

• I figured out why these past 3 or so years, my cucumber crops are puny. The flowers are small & are best pollinated by the small honey bees. Honey bees are & have been scarce, & so, all I have are the fat bumble bees. They do their best, but can't squeeze into the flowers like the streamlined honey bee.

you should raise bees and lady bugs

I would love to hang out with some amish and see how they do things,

the woodwrights shop is cool, I have always had this idea about making wagon wheels..

lol