Mary Mapes knew Bush volunteered for Vietnam

thanks personreal for the link Mary Mapes knew Bush volunteered for Vietnam: CBS report
posted at 11:36 am on August 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

This story by Bernard Goldberg certainly takes me back to the early days of my blogging career. Shortly after the 2004 Republican convention, Mary Mapes produced a segment for 60 Minutes II that alleged that George W. Bush had manipulated his enlistment in the Texas Air National Guard to avoid serving in combat in Vietnam. The documents used by CBS, Mapes, and Dan Rather turned out to be clumsy hoaxes, which the blogosphere exposed through careful review of their substance and their form (the latter of which I played a small part in refuting, with my expertise in printing and fonts, among larger efforts from Power Line, Bill Ardolino, and LGF, and mainstream media reporter Thomas Lipscomb).

CBS did an internal investigation that discredited the memos and caused the network to fire Mapes. Buried in the report, however, is an admission that has not been noticed until now — which is that Mapes knew the basis of her story was an outright lie from the beginning (emphases Goldberg’s):

Until now, the controversy over the Rather/Mapes story has centered almost entirely on one issue: the legitimacy of the documents – a very important issue, indeed. But it turns out that there was another very important issue, one that goes to the very heart of what the story was about – and one that has gone virtually unnoticed. This is it:
Mary Mapes knew before she put the story on the air that George W. Bush, the alleged slacker, had in fact volunteered to go to Vietnam.

Who says? The outside panel CBS brought into to get to the bottom of the so-called “Rathergate” mess says. I recently re-examined the panel’s report after a source, Deep Throat style, told me to “Go to page 130.” When I did, here’s the startling piece of information I found:

Mapes had information prior to the airing of the September 8 [2004] Segment that President Bush, while in the TexANG [Texas Air National Guard] did volunteer for service in Vietnam but was turned down in favor of more experienced pilots. For example, a flight instructor who served in the TexANG with Lieutenant Bush advised Mapes in 1999 that Lieutenant Bush “did want to go to Vietnam but others went first.” Similarly, several others advised Mapes in 1999, and again in 2004 before September 8, that Lieutenant Bush had volunteered to go to Vietnam but did not have enough flight hours to qualify.

This information, despite the fact that it has been available since the CBS report came out four years ago, has remained a secret to almost everybody both in and out of the media — one lonely fact in a 234- page report loaded with thousands of facts, and overshadowed by the controversy surrounding the documents.

Recall that the heart of Mapes’ story was that Bush was a coward who didn’t want to face combat. In the context of the 2004 election, the importance of this attack cannot be underestimated. Bush had put the country into two shooting wars, one popular (Afghanistan) and one decidedly not by 2004 (Iraq). Even though the previous Democratic president had been a flat-out draft dodger and the Democratic contender was battling a reputation as a medal-polisher and backstabber from a collection of his former colleagues in the Navy, substantiation of Mapes’ allegation would have proven fatal to Bush’s re-election.

Volunteering for combat, however, contradicts that entirely. Everyone understood that Bush didn’t want to go into the infantry, but then again, neither had John Kerry. Both volunteered to serve in other capacities. Bush asked to go to Vietnam, and except for his inexperience, would have been sent into combat. Mapes knew this — and pursued the allegations of cowardice anyway.

That goes beyond being hoaxed by Bill Burkett and the mythical “Lucy Ramirez” and running a story with no corroboration. It indicts Mapes and by extension Rather (who apparently couldn’t be bothered to check on the documents or story on his own) in a plot to deliberately conduct a character assassination from a broadcast booth, in an explicit attempt to manipulate an election. It should be the final nail in the coffins of their credibility, and it will be interesting to see if anyone other than Goldberg reports it.

Update: I forgot to put Bill Ardolino among those top-drawer blogger efforts. Ardolino hired a document examiner for a truly independent look at CBS’ claims.

Update II: I also forgot Thomas Lipscomb, one of the few reporters in the mainstream media willing to write about CBS’ hit piece in those first days, who did a great service in helping to expose it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, yeah, sure.

If bush was rejected, it was because of his drug and alcohol use.

And if he was so gung ho to do his tour of duty, why did bush desert

the National Guard and never show up?

And flying was the only job in Vietnam?? Who woulda guessed?

And no other places for bush to serve even though with ass holes like

cheney afraid to go and getting five deferments??

if you believe the repuke BS in the OP, I have a deed to the Brooklyn

Bridge to sell you.

14 years later and bush and repukes are still LYING about bush, the

coward after they dissed john kerry, an actual veteran who actually

served in combat.

repukicons are just LYING pieces of shit.

yeah, yeah, sure.

If bush was rejected, it was because of his drug and alcohol use.

And if he was so gung ho to do his tour of duty, why did bush desert

the National Guard and never show up?

And flying was the only job in Vietnam?? Who woulda guessed?

And no other places for bush to serve even though with ass holes like

cheney afraid to go and getting five deferments??

if you believe the repuke BS in the OP, I have a deed to the Brooklyn

Bridge to sell you.

14 years later and bush and repukes are still LYING about bush, the

coward after they dissed john kerry, an actual veteran who actually

served in combat.

repukicons are just LYING pieces of shit.

ROTFLMFAO

Stupid liberals STILL posting "OPINION" and calling it a "FACT".

STILL don't know the difference between "FACT" and "OPINION", err?

Why are you such a LIAR?????

Answer the question!!!! :)

Come on now play fair as politicians use the media and whatever sources they can to prove or disprove whatever point they're trying to make.

For all anyone knows Bush may have joined the Air Guard to duck the war and changed his mind later one which happened a lot back then.

As for him being AWOL a lot of them did that back then so what's the big deal?

This is all ancient history. None of this changes anything so let it go Bros, it's too nice a day and we're facing a lot more relevant challenges that what happened forty some odd years ago.

lies . if you volunteered for Vietnam you went .

that simple .

when I was given a wish list for where I wanted to serve I put down Vietnam and that's where I served .

bush never left the US

This is not true or at least not according to my (like) best buddie in Philly. He had orders to go to Vietnam as a medic and the platoon dud had orders for Korea. The Company Commander switch their orders because he liked my friend. My friend told me he was pissed at the time because he wanted to go BUT after a while he said he was glad it happened.

BTW: left what corp did you serve in...what was your mos ?

that simple .

when I was given a wish list for where I wanted to serve I put down Vietnam and that's where I served .

bush never left the US

Think back Bro. There were a lot of guys sent other places that were never allowed to go. Depended on whether their command considered them mission critical or even first sergeants who just didn't want them all messed up in the head so they denied their requests. I don't remember what I put down in boot but a lot of us drew the war.on graduation day before even starting infantry school so there was no option for us. Just depended and luck of the draw.

thanks personreal for the link Mary Mapes knew Bush volunteered for Vietnam:

:lol: :lol::lol:

What a crock! The only things that worthless coward volunteered to do during his time spent awol in the TexASS ANG was swill gin, snort coke, and chase cheap, sleazy barroom whores.

Bush was turned down by the Army?

The govt made him go into TANG to defend TX in case of emergency?

Sounds like bush was blowing something up her skirt.

LMAO

W and Cheney are murderers who were afraid to serve when it was their turn

they both avoided military service in different ways, one avoided it by joining the ultimate do nothing natl guard, the other cried like the little puny baby he is

No surprises here, Liberals lie, that's what they do best. The second best thing they do is when caught lying they throw every strawman argument in the world up to try to deflect from the fact that they're liars, and when all else fails they scream RACIST and stick their fingers in their ears and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" as loud as they can.

Oh, and rape women and molest children, I almost forgot about that. Liberals are very good at raping women and molesting children...A LOT! But that's only when they're not holding the entire Black race down just like their ancestors in the Old South did, only today instead of chains of iron, they use chains of Welfare, EBT, WIC, HUD, and Gubmint Skuuls to keep them ignorant and voting Dim-O-Crap.

that simple .

bush never left the US

No, not everyone that volunteered went.

he'll still end up on the DUNG heap of history, right there with Hitler, Stalin and best of all Saddam Hussein.

Really? Bush is like Hitler and Stalin? LOL!

Liberals cry how Obama is treated. They forget how they went NUTS over Bush and Reagan. Bush drove liberals insane. Reagan made them explode. You can't even disagree with Oama with out liberals calling you a racist. LOL! Talk about thin-skinned. If you can't take it, don't dish it.

No surprises here, Liberals lie, that's what they do best. The second best thing they do is when caught lying they throw every strawman argument in the world up to try to deflect from the fact that they're liars, and when all else fails they scream RACIST and stick their fingers in their ears and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" as loud as they can.

Oh, and rape women and molest children, I almost forgot about that. Liberals are very good at raping women and molesting children...A LOT! But that's only when they're not holding the entire Black race down just like their ancestors in the Old South did, only today instead of chains of iron, they use chains of Welfare, EBT, WIC, HUD, and Gubmint Skuuls to keep them ignorant and voting Dim-O-Crap.

shut up you america hating racist punk

what does that mean?

are you threatening me?

since when is asking a girl out a threat? :blink:

I just thought, you know, since you are a compassionate, charming, slow to anger, level headed and very much lady like woman, you might enjoy a cup of coffee together.

Your delusional perspective couldn't possibly further removed from reality. And your projection is as good a confession of guilt as any.

since when is asking a girl out a threat? :blink:

I just thought, you know, since you are a compassionate, charming, slow to anger, level headed and very much lady like woman, you might enjoy a cup of coffee together.

sorry, but like all cons i would have no interest in you

your inability to get laid is why you are so angry all the time and so willing to do harm to so many people

Your delusional perspective couldn't possibly further removed from reality. And your projection is as good a confession of guilt as any.

He is one of the uglier ones here because he actually thinks he is rational in his racist, disgusting attitudes...

sorry, but like all cons i would have no interest in you

your inability to get laid is why you are so angry all the time and so willing to do harm to so many people

Le sad....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2734wYgSg

I think what makes you so attractive Marthas, is you never over-react to anything. You are always measured in your response and understaing of the other sides point of view.

you are an ugly person, your kind is dying out

hopefully you wont be able to take all of us with you

my reaction is kind compared to what you deserve

and the entire planet agrees with me/us,. that has to sting

you are an ugly person, your kind is dying out

hopefully you wont be able to take all of us with you

my reaction is kind compared to what you deserve

and the entire planet agrees with me/us,. that has to sting

I really don't know what to say. This is actually a pretty easy let down compared to most women I ask out. Usually it involves pepper spray and a night in jail. This just shows how much of a kind heart you have Marthas.