College is a waste of time...and a waste of life.

I went on to get a master's degree. I regret every moment of it. Time in my life Ill never get back. If you are thinking of going to college, my advice is to be prepared to regret it. Here is why.

1. Every single piece of knowledge I acquired in college I could of taught myself. All of it. The teachers were good, some were bad, but it didn't matter. There isn't one class I took that I couldn't have learned about on my own.

2. College teaches people how to be good employees, not to be good employers. They teach you how to obey and take orders. You work your ass off to get a degree, then you go work for somebody else and make them a lot of money. Waste!

3. If you are going to work that hard to make somebody else a lot of money then why not just flip burgers? At least you may get free food.

Thankfully, I have started my own business. It's slow going , but its looking good. I didn't want to have a flood of customers because I am a one man show for now. I should of done this years ago. Oh well. I am not going to encourage my kids to go to college. I am going to encourage them to be entrepenuers instead.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on to get a master's degree. I regret every moment of it. Time in my life Ill never get back. If you are thinking of going to college, my advice is to be prepared to regret it. Here is why.

1. Every single piece of knowledge I acquired in college I could of taught myself. All of it. The teachers were good, some were bad, but it didn't matter. There isn't one class I took that I couldn't have learned about on my own.

2. College teaches people how to be good employees, not to be good employers. They teach you how to obey and take orders. You work your ass off to get a degree, then you go work for somebody else and make them a lot of money. Waste!

3. If you are going to work that hard to make somebody else a lot of money then why not just flip burgers? At least you may get free food.

Thankfully, I have started my own business. It's slow going , but its looking good. I didn't want to have a flood of customers because I am a one man show for now. I should of done this years ago. Oh well. I am not going to encourage my kids to go to college. I am going to encourage them to be entrepenuers instead.

Okay first off you think America is going to be a neo-feudal economy forever ?

If so then stick with your premise and don't send your kids to college.

If not then you are doing them a great dyservice by denying them higher education. First have them enlist in one of the services first, if they cut it there then you will know if college is right for them. Not all people are college or military material. However college exposes you to the real world as far as what you need to know to succeed in an industry. I could not be where I am without it. My HS math was terrible but I redeemed myself in college and am now going on to industry with a great idea for production. You may not use everything in college 100% but it is the link between industry and high-school that is a big bridge for medical, engineering, agricultural, electronic, etc.

America will not follow the Globalist plan of neo-feudalism as a long term economic solution. As a parent you need to prepare your kids for that reality coming soon.

You sound like my son. But we live in societal evolution dictating life as we(species) are educated to believe it must exist or genetic continuation would become extinct without it.

College is to the brain what the military does for the body. Never question the authority of "IF". Potential doubt keeps honest people silent and ruthless hearts screaming for fairness for equal outcomes managed by a self anointed group.

Okay first off you think America is going to be a neo-feudal economy forever ?

If so then stick with your premise and don't send your kids to college.

If not then you are doing them a great dyservice by denying them higher education. First have them enlist in one of the services first, if they cut it there then you will know if college is right for them. Not all people are college or military material. However college exposes you to the real world as far as what you need to know to succeed in an industry. I could not be where I am without it. My HS math was terrible but I redeemed myself in college and am now going on to industry with a great idea for production. You may not use everything in college 100% but it is the link between industry and high-school that is a big bridge for medical, engineering, agricultural, electronic, etc.

America will not follow the Globalist plan of neo-feudalism as a long term economic solution. As a parent you need to prepare your kids for that reality coming soon.

I am not doing them a diservice. They can go if they want, and I will pay. However, I am not going to drill it into them like society does. You don't need it to succeed. You don't need it to learn math. I taught myself math all the way to quantum phyisics. I don't have a 180 IQ. I am just very resourceful when it comes to learning things that I want to learn. College does not expose you to the real world. It shelters you from it. The real world exposes us to the real world. Nothing can prepare you for it. My wife and I teach our kids how to make good decisions and the consequences for making bad decisions. I want them to not settle for a paycheck. I want them to be the ones that hire the college graduates and have the graduates work for them. I want them to run their business.

Many good points made and I hope they are taken. It all depends on what you want to do in life. You can't be a self-taught oral surgeon but you can have an aptitute for, say, plumbing, that would make a college education worthless if you want to pursue plumbing. We of a certain age were raised on the notion that in order to be a success you had to go to college. This is no longer the case. Increasingly, those who can do something skillful with their hands and minds will make it in our service economy. Those who earn a masters in Women's Studies, not so much.

Many good points made and I hope they are taken. It all depends on what you want to do in life. You can't be a self-taught oral surgeon but you can have an aptitute for, say, plumbing, that would make a college education worthless if you want to pursue plumbing. We of a certain age were raised on the notion that in order to be a success you had to go to college. This is no longer the case. Increasingly, those who can do something skillful with their hands and minds will make it in our service economy. Those who earn a masters in Women's Studies, not so much.

I understand if someone wants to be a doctor or a lawyer. But in general, college isn't a requirement to succeed, or even to learn. College doesn't have a copyright on knowledge.

I am not doing them a diservice. They can go if they want, and I will pay. However, I am not going to drill it into them like society does. You don't need it to succeed. You don't need it to learn math. I taught myself math all the way to quantum phyisics. I don't have a 180 IQ. I am just very resourceful when it comes to learning things that I want to learn. College does not expose you to the real world. It shelters you from it. The real world exposes us to the real world. Nothing can prepare you for it. My wife and I teach our kids how to make good decisions and the consequences for making bad decisions. I want them to not settle for a paycheck. I want them to be the ones that hire the college graduates and have the graduates work for them. I want them to run their business.

The thing to do is find out what they want to do and send them to the college that specializes in it. I went for aeronautics that is why I went to Western Michigan University and not some NY based college. The thing is to find a profession and have the workers in that profession tell you what you need a background in.

If they want to be welders, plumbers, or carpenters send them to trade school this way you can avoid the lame subjects you never use.

However the global economy is to technicalized and specialized for just a high school education anymore. America will not limit itself to just neo-feudal jobs that the Globalists want. All the empty promises of offshoring and outsourcing have been realized as Globalist plots to de-industrialze America for easier conquest and industry is returning to America.

They need to have some kind of educational edge, and you are right college doesn't hold a copyright to education but they have resources and networks that your kids won't have just out of high school.

I understand if someone wants to be a doctor or a lawyer. But in general, college isn't a requirement to succeed, or even to learn. College doesn't have a copyright on knowledge.

College, like everything else in life, is a means to a particular end. If it's a must-have for what you want, you'll go to college. If it isn't, I would counsel young people not to bother.

I think it depends on what you went to college for. Business, finance or another "liberal art", waste of time. Engineering, Law, Pharmacy/MD/Medical science? Necessary. My wife is a Pharmacist (Pharmacy manager, actually) and I am a Mechanical Engineer (PE). No complaints here. Get a better degree and maybe you won't think its a waste.

I think it depends on what you went to college for. Business, finance or another "liberal art", waste of time. Engineering, Law, Pharmacy/MD/Medical science? Necessary. My wife is a Pharmacist (Pharmacy manager, actually) and I am a Mechanical Engineer (PE). No complaints here. Get a better degree and maybe you won't think its a waste.

Exactly. Thank you.

Exactly, you guys have great jobs now but you weren't ready for them just out of high school.

I rest my case.

^_^

No

I would have never learned that a critical mass of Plutonium 239 is about the size of a basketball and that of Uranium 235 is about the size of a beachball of I had not studied nuclear engineering at a college

Colleges are funded and many discoveries are made by research at them...

Stating that our educational institutions are useless is an idoiotic thing to say...

Nobody is saying such an "idoiotic" thing. They are saying that college is not the be-all and end-all for everyone.

The thing to do is find out what they want to do and send them to the college that specializes in it. I went for aeronautics that is why I went to Western Michigan University and not some NY based college. The thing is to find a profession and have the workers in that profession tell you what you need a background in.

If they want to be welders, plumbers, or carpenters send them to trade school this way you can avoid the lame subjects you never use.

However the global economy is to technicalized and specialized for just a high school education anymore. America will not limit itself to just neo-feudal jobs that the Globalists want. All the empty promises of offshoring and outsourcing have been realized as Globalist plots to de-industrialze America for easier conquest and industry is returning to America.

They need to have some kind of educational edge, and you are right college doesn't hold a copyright to education but they have resources and networks that your kids won't have just out of high school.

1. Why not be the one to start the auronautic company? There is no need to depend on college for the knowledge and info about auronautic principles. If people want to do that in college then they are asking to work for somebody else so they can make somebody else a lot of money. Why not be that somebody else?

2. America is becoming extremely technical. Why not learn to create, invent, and patent your own technology. No, it is not impossible. It may be harder but so what? This is what I do. I have 3 inventions now. i am saving money for a patent attorney, then I will go from there. Gates, Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs are not geniuses. they just are great creators. I see no reason whatsoever to see why college is a requirement to be a great creator.

Exactly, you guys have great jobs now but you weren't ready for them just out of high school.

I rest my case.

^_^

I never said they are ready right out of high school. I said you don't need college to learn these things. You need to acquire knowledge to learn specific skills of course. But give me one good reason why college should be the one to have a copyright on learning. Just one. Why can people not teach themselves these skills?

1. Why not be the one to start the auronautic company? There is no need to depend on college for the knowledge and info about auronautic principles. If people want to do that in college then they are asking to work for somebody else so they can make somebody else a lot of money. Why not be that somebody else?

Who says I am not eventually... Gruman and Boeing are opening up prouduction facilities here in Jacksonville Florida and my team has a vortech plane for them that could not be understood if not for learning physics in college.

2. America is becoming extremely technical. Why not learn to create, invent, and patent your own technology. No, it is not impossible. It may be harder but so what? This is what I do. I have 3 inventions now. i am saving money for a patent attorney, then I will go from there. Gates, Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs are not geniuses. they just are great creators. I see no reason whatsoever to see why college is a requirement to be a great creator.

Well according to Globalists and people like Rockefeller, we need to be a nation of workers not thinkers. This is why the Globalists tried to destroy our economy from 2000 onward. Are you even aware of the scientific discrimination that goes on in the banking community right now. Open up a food or janitorial shop, the SBAs and banks are right there to help, open up something technical or anything based on new technology and forget it.

I never said they are ready right out of high school. I said you don't need college to learn these things. You need to acquire knowledge to learn specific skills of course. But give me one good reason why college should be the one to have a copyright on learning. Just one. Why can people not teach themselves these skills?

So the next plane you fly on you want the guy to be self-taught ? Sorry the FAA has certain course requirements from the mechanic all the way to the pilot for public safety. Going for heart surgery, I am sure he is self taught from the institutte of Google and Wikipedia... :rolleyes: where does the scalpel go again ??? :blink: I am not saying college has a copyright on learning.. -_- but what I am saying is that institutions are regulated by laws, standards and resources that an average person just can't get on their own. Besides if not for these institutiions too much red-neck engineering would get out of control and could actually cost more lives in the long run. Now had you studied labor history you would know that. ;)

Is your wife interested in auronatics??? If you could spell it would be helpful...

No Yahoo is going to build the next space transport. It takes team work

Whatever. Don't start the whole spelling thing on me. I am sure I can find errors in your posts also.

I never said teamwork was bad. I use other people all the time. I said that college is not needed to acquire knowledge. Unfortunately, it's needed to get a piece of paper so now employers will only hire you because of that piece of paper. However, that piece of paper does not prove that you are anymore knowledgable than the one who ws self-taught.

Whatever. Don't start the whole spelling thing on me. I am sure I can find errors in your posts also.

I never said teamwork was bad. I use other people all the time. I said that college is not needed to acquire knowledge. Unfortunately, it's needed to get a piece of paper so now employers will only hire you because of that piece of paper. However, that piece of paper does not prove that you are anymore knowledgable than the one who ws self-taught.

It depends on the profession.

You cannot be a self-taught pilot, surgeon, engineer, hell I am versed in aerodynamics but this A & P ( Airframe and Powerplant) course I am enrolled in now teaches me things that are industry standards that other college courses have left out. However I look at it as all ingredients for the same meal. I have the physics and vortechology background, now I just have to get my hands dirty working in the industry.

Who says I am not eventually... Gruman and Boeing are opening up prouduction facilities here in Jacksonville Florida and my team has a vortech plane for them that could not be understood if not for learning physics in college.

Well according to Globalists and people like Rockefeller, we need to be a nation of workers not thinkers. This is why the Globalists tried to destroy our economy from 2000 onward. Are you even aware of the scientific discrimination that goes on in the banking community right now. Open up a food or janitorial shop, the SBAs and banks are right there to help, open up something technical or anything based on new technology and forget it.

So the next plane you fly on you want the guy to be self-taught ? Sorry the FAA has certain course requirements from the mechanic all the way to the pilot for public safety. Going for heart surgery, I am sure he is self taught from the institutte of Google and Wikipedia... :rolleyes: where does the scalpel go again ??? :blink: I am not saying college has a copyright on learning.. -_- but what I am saying is that institutions are regulated by laws, standards and resources that an average person just can't get on their own. Besides if not for these institutiions too much red-neck engineering would get out of control and could actually cost more lives in the long run. Now had you studied labor history you would know that. ;)

But why not be the one to hire those people? People who came up with the principles to build airplanes began a long time ago by a bunch of mathematicians. It evolved from them. The history of medicine is long and too much to type. Medicine couldn't evolve to what is today if it wasn't for the periodic table which was derived from ancient times when universities weren't even around. Most of Isaac Newton's work was done on his own, he established the equations that the university uses. He didn't derive them from the university. My point I am trying to make is that if you really dig deep and discover the root of learning, it comes from the individual. Technology has evolved from the minds of great producers and creators, the universities took it from there.

I understand that if you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. But if to say that thinkers are not needed, we are in worse trouble than I thought.

It depends on the profession.

You cannot be a self-taught pilot, surgeon, engineer, hell I am versed in aerodynamics but this A & P ( Airframe and Powerplant) course I am enrolled in now teaches me things that are industry standards that other college courses have left out. However I look at it as all ingredients for the same meal. I have the physics and vortechology background, now I just have to get my hands dirty working in the industry.

As difficult as it is to conceive, yes you can. The only reason we think we cannot be a self-taught pilot, surgeon, engineer, etc...is because we have been drilled to believe that we don't have what it takes to learn anything without college. When I self-taught, I am saying that we are in charge of our own learning. i am saying that we are in charge of being resourceful to learn this stuff however we can. That means reading, asking questions, experiementing, and practicing with each other. this is all self-taught principles.

I still confused as to why you cannot teach yourself the material in that course. i taught myself 'orbital mechanics.' I know the math really well. i studied the GPS geo-satellites at night, I studied their trajectories, and confirmed their routes to what I learned on my own. I am not a genius. I have an average IQ. You just need to have a little faith in your own abilities.

But why not be the one to hire those people? People who came up with the principles to build airplanes began a long time ago by a bunch of mathematicians. It evolved from them. The history of medicine is long and too much to type. Medicine couldn't evolve to what is today if it wasn't for the periodic table which was derived from ancient times when universities weren't even around. Most of Isaac Newton's work was done on his own, he established the equations that the university uses. He didn't derive them from the university. My point I am trying to make is that if you really dig deep and discover the root of learning, it comes from the individual. Technology has evolved from the minds of great producers and creators, the universities took it from there.

I understand that if you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. But if to say that thinkers are not needed, we are in worse trouble than I thought.

Issac Newton had alien intervention for him to come up with what he did. These aliens had their equivalent of Starfleet Academy to be able to teach Newtonian Principles to Issac Newton.

It is well known that aliens go around and plant knowledge into peoples' minds so that later they can develop them at the Univeristy levels.

Universities keep the world from going back into the Dark-Ages and med-eval times.

Issac Newton had alien intervention for him to come up with what he did. These aliens had their equivalent of Starfleet Academy to be able to teach Newtonian Principles to Issac Newton.

It is well known that aliens go around and plant knowledge into peoples' minds so that later they can develop them at the Univeristy levels.

Universities keep the world from going back into the Dark-Ages and med-eval times.

LOL! We are those aliens. The universities have dominated science for the past 3 centuries. They have had their day in the sun. I believe if people would just have a little faith in their own imagination, creativity, and intellect, the individuals without college could take science and America so far off the map that there wouldn't even be a close second.

As difficult as it is to conceive, yes you can. The only reason we think we cannot be a self-taught pilot, surgeon, engineer, etc...is because we have been drilled to believe that we don't have what it takes to learn anything without college. When I self-taught, I am saying that we are in charge of our own learning. i am saying that we are in charge of being resourceful to learn this stuff however we can. That means reading, asking questions, experiementing, and practicing with each other. this is all self-taught principles.

I still confused as to why you cannot teach yourself the material in that course. i taught myself 'orbital mechanics.' I know the math really well. i studied the GPS geo-satellites at night, I studied their trajectories, and confirmed their routes to what I learned on my own. I am not a genius. I have an average IQ. You just need to have a little faith in your own abilities.

I was great at science but I really struggled with math. Until college helped me fight off my anti-math demons I wasn't going anywhere in Aeronautical engineering...

College is more than that tho, college teaches you to think like a scientist, you learn from the professor and you learn from other students. If you suck at something another student can help you overcome a deficiency and you help other students overcome theirs. You go thru real world environments and what you will see in your profession. Stuff you can't conceive of on your own.

Besides the women are prettier in college and you should find one there cuz dating is so damned hard once you get out.

LOL! We are those aliens. The universities have dominated science for the past 3 centuries. They have had their day in the sun. I believe if people would just have a little faith in their own imagination, creativity, and intellect, the individuals without college could take science and America so far off the map that there wouldn't even be a close second.

If they ever develop a Starfleet Academy then sure, until then Universities will be key in keeping human progression going forward.

I'm not sure what your degrees are in, but mine have paid off handsomely.

B.S. in Management of Information Systems in 1994

M.S. in Information Systems Security 2011

yes, I could have learned most of it on my own. Doesn't matter. It makes a helluva difference in earnings, lifestyle, job satisfaction and networking with future contacts. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the same.

Should someone feel guilty because YMMV ???

I'm not sure what your degrees are in, but mine have paid off handsomely.

B.S. in Management of Information Systems in 1994

M.S. in Information Systems Security 2011

yes, I could have learned most of it on my own. Doesn't matter. It makes a helluva difference in earnings, lifestyle, job satisfaction and networking with future contacts. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the same.

Should someone feel guilty because YMMV ???

I am glad you are successful but there is outright discrimination in anything manufacturing, engineering, or i fyou want to produce anything tangible other than a sandwich or food item.