Dan Rather: Bush AWOL Documents 'Not Proven' False

contributor-80x100-whuston.png Dan Rather is back to defending the story that he claims got him fired from network television, asserting that the documents he presented in 2004 as proof that George W. Bush went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard have never been proven to be forgeries.

On February 7th, Dan Rather participated in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit where he took questions from users. One question focused on the story that essentially led to the end of the anchor's career on network TV: the Bush National Guard story, also known as RatherGate.

Rather was asked if his AWOL story was true despite the "beating" he took over it.

In response, the newsman reiterated his long-time claim that his story was 100% true, saying, "no one had ever established that the documents were forged."

Number 2 - no one had ever established that the documents were forged (those who attack them argued that we didn't do enough to demonstrate that they were not forged) The whole documents argument was a camouflage - what was described in the documents was factual. As for the trap argument -- could have been, might have been but nobody has ever proven that. What I know, all I know, is we reported a true story. Whatever you think of the documents, facts are facts.

One of the users that replied to debunk Rather's declaration that the documents were never proven to be forgeries was Thomas Phinney, a typography expert who has for some time held that the documents are, indeed, fake.

Phinny points out that he's offered a $1,000 reward to anyone that can disprove his proof that the documents were forged, but no one has ever taken him up on the bounty.

I am on the left wing of the political spectrum, and I am also a typography expert who was quoted twice in the Washington Post about the memos, and approached by ABC News to get my opinion on the topic. TL;DR: they were blatant forgeries.

Perhaps Bush did evade his duties and the contents of the memos were essentially accurate. But the memos used by CBS could not have been produced in the 1970s without a professional typesetting shop.

The assertion that all the attacks on the Bush National Guard story were "partisan political" attacks is nonsense. I voted against Bush in both elections, and I donated money to his opponents. But that doesn't change my assertion that the memos were clear forgeries. None of the hundreds of typographers who have come to one of my presentations has even tried to collect the $1000 reward I have repeatedly offered to anybody who can produce a device, available in 1972, that could have produced those memos. (The Selectric Composer and the IBM Executive typewriter are not plausible candidates, btw.)

Many other Reddit users criticized Rather for the original story and for his continued insistence that his story was factually correct, fake documents or no.

Rather did not reply again to the thread on the fake documents question and instead went on to reply to other users on other topics.

In the original September 8, 2004 story, Rather and his news producers presented documents they claimed "proved" that George W. Bush went AWOL from the Guard in the 1970s. It wasn't long before the veracity of the documents became an issue, as typography experts began to realize that the lettering used on the documents would not have been used on documents in the 1970s.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

contributor-80x100-whuston.png Dan Rather is back to defending the story that he claims got him fired from network television, asserting that the documents he presented in 2004 as proof that George W. Bush went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard have never been proven to be forgeries.

On February 7th, Dan Rather participated in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit where he took questions from users. One question focused on the story that essentially led to the end of the anchor's career on network TV: the Bush National Guard story, also known as RatherGate.

Rather was asked if his AWOL story was true despite the "beating" he took over it.

In response, the newsman reiterated his long-time claim that his story was 100% true, saying, "no one had ever established that the documents were forged."

Number 2 - no one had ever established that the documents were forged (those who attack them argued that we didn't do enough to demonstrate that they were not forged) The whole documents argument was a camouflage - what was described in the documents was factual. As for the trap argument -- could have been, might have been but nobody has ever proven that. What I know, all I know, is we reported a true story. Whatever you think of the documents, facts are facts.

One of the users that replied to debunk Rather's declaration that the documents were never proven to be forgeries was Thomas Phinney, a typography expert who has for some time held that the documents are, indeed, fake.

Phinny points out that he's offered a $1,000 reward to anyone that can disprove his proof that the documents were forged, but no one has ever taken him up on the bounty.

I am on the left wing of the political spectrum, and I am also a typography expert who was quoted twice in the Washington Post about the memos, and approached by ABC News to get my opinion on the topic. TL;DR: they were blatant forgeries.

Perhaps Bush did evade his duties and the contents of the memos were essentially accurate. But the memos used by CBS could not have been produced in the 1970s without a professional typesetting shop.

The assertion that all the attacks on the Bush National Guard story were "partisan political" attacks is nonsense. I voted against Bush in both elections, and I donated money to his opponents. But that doesn't change my assertion that the memos were clear forgeries. None of the hundreds of typographers who have come to one of my presentations has even tried to collect the $1000 reward I have repeatedly offered to anybody who can produce a device, available in 1972, that could have produced those memos. (The Selectric Composer and the IBM Executive typewriter are not plausible candidates, btw.)

Many other Reddit users criticized Rather for the original story and for his continued insistence that his story was factually correct, fake documents or no.

Rather did not reply again to the thread on the fake documents question and instead went on to reply to other users on other topics.

In the original September 8, 2004 story, Rather and his news producers presented documents they claimed "proved" that George W. Bush went AWOL from the Guard in the 1970s. It wasn't long before the veracity of the documents became an issue, as typography experts began to realize that the lettering used on the documents would not have been used on documents in the 1970s.

"Rather Concedes Papers Are Suspect"

Did Dan Rather serve in the military?

"Rather Concedes Papers Are Suspect"

Did Dan Rather serve in the military?

"CBS anchor Dan Rather acknowledged for the first time yesterday that there are serious questions about the authenticity of the documents he used to question President Bush's National Guard record last week on "60 Minutes."

"If the documents are not what we were led to believe, I'd like to break that story," Rather said in an interview last night. "Any time I'm wrong, I want to be right out front and say, 'Folks, this is what went wrong and how it went wrong.' "

Dan Rather is a liberal, draft dodging, fool.

Mr. bush was never AWOL.

Bush was AWOL and nobody debates that

Bush is guilty of murdering hundreds of thousands

Bush is a chickenschit chickenhawk like Cheney, they send others to die, something THEY never did

shut up

You are not fit to mention Rather's name, by the way, he is a true patriot, you are nothing but a filthy racist a$$hole

Bush is a chickenschit chickenhawk like Cheney, they send others to die, something THEY never did

shut up

You are not fit to mention Rather's name, by the way, he is a true patriot, you are nothing but a filthy racist a$$hole

LMFAO

the Texas Air National Guard says that President GW Bush was NOT AWOL.

TANG says President GW Bush served his country honorably and gave him an honorable discharge to prove it. What proof do you have to the contrary?

Dan Rather has already proved that he is a LIAR of the liberal (worse)-kind.

Dan Rather was told NOT to go with that report because "it was probably a forgery".

Now there is an expert that proves that it was a forgery.

Dan Rather was fired because he was/is a LIAR!

shut up

LMFAO

How many has "H" "sent to die" in Iraq and Afghanistan since they became "H"s wars (January 20th, 2009)? :)

100% of the report was true, too bad Rove was able to plant that false document on the 2nd greatest newsman of all time

ROTFLMFAO

Gee, now it is Rove's fault that Dan Rather is a LIAR and used a forged document that he (Rather) was told that it was a forgery? :)

Rather is a racist.

moron

You guys what do you expect Dan Rather to say? You are all too easily taken in. The fact that CBS just passed a major anniversary milestone with very little mention of Dan Rather speaks volumes.

Dan Rather is the 2nd greatest, maybe 3rd of all time

He was targeted long before he told the truth about W, by daddy...remember, the Bush family made their fortune trading with Hitler

that you guys side with the family that traded with Hitler , does NOT surprise me

you are all traitors

moron

Dan Rather is the 2nd greatest, maybe 3rd of all time

He was targeted long before he told the truth about W, by daddy...remember, the Bush family made their fortune trading with Hitler

that you guys side with the family that traded with Hitler , does NOT surprise me

you are all traitors

You'll probably want to stop watching CBS News then. They fired him. Perhaps they are the traitors.

Cant change the facts, son...bush family are criminals and you support them

Odd that Bush opponents never used this big Hitler-connection "news" in any campaigns against them Marfa. Does that tell you something?

Odd that Bush opponents never used this big Hitler-connection "news" in any campaigns against them Marfa. Does that tell you something?

doesnt change the facts, does it

why do you support war criminals? Bush Grampa is one and so is W and yet you support them, why?

doesnt change the facts, does it

why do you support war criminals? Bush Grampa is one and so is W and yet you support them, why?

Again odd that this "fact" was never presented in any Vice-Presidential or Presidential campaign that either Bush was involved in, or any gubernatorial race for that matter. One would think this would have been made mainstream public in any or all of these campaigns. Curiously, they weren't. Wonder why?

Again odd that this "fact" was never presented in any Vice-Presidential or Presidential campaign that either Bush was involved in, or any gubernatorial race for that matter. One would think this would have been made mainstream public in any or all of these campaigns. Curiously, they weren't. Wonder why?

and yet, it is the absolutely factual history, isnt it...

again, why do you support proven traitors and war criminals and you oppose a good guy like Obama?

i know why

and yet, it is the absolutely factual history, isnt it...

again, why do you support proven traitors and war criminals and you oppose a good guy like Obama?

i know why

I still find it odd that this "absolutely factual history" was never ever reported during the many Bush Presidential elections...not even by the subject of this thread himself...Dan Rather! Why is that, do you suppose Marfa?

I still find it odd that this "absolutely factual history" was never ever reported during the many Bush Presidential elections...not even by the subject of this thread himself...Dan Rather! Why is that, do you suppose Marfa?

That's because the Bilderbergers had already hand picked both Bush's for POTUS, and the Dems didn't want to bring up history that most folks wouldn't have believed anyway, even tho it was true, and it would have looked like dirty pool to folks.

Dirty tricks are the Rethugs specialty.Dems have at least a modicum of restraint.

LOL

Even Rove admitted Dummy missed some meetings.

He fail to mention 18 months of them though,

Wonder why?

1.The son of a sitting congressman would kill any military mans career that complained about dummy.

2. A dummy running for president must have those records found and destroyed by daddy and supporters.

3. The bush dynasty must go on for the PNAC NWO.

That's because the Bilderbergers had already hand picked both Bush's for POTUS, and the Dems didn't want to bring up history that most folks wouldn't have believed anyway, even tho it was true, and it would have looked like dirty pool to folks.

Dirty tricks are the Rethugs specialty.Dems have at least a modicum of restraint.

And so, apparently, did Dan Rather. What a story that would have been, a coup for CBS! Sad that they dropped the ball.

Dan Rather is back to defending the story that got him fired from network television, asserting that the documents he presented in 2004 as proof that George W. Bush went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard have never been proven to be forgeries.

What an complete idiot.

This is the same guy that when asked, on Feb 23, 1999, while appearing on Imus In The Morning, why the Juanita Broaddrick allegation of rape against Bill Clinton was only given 1 minute and 51 seconds of air time on CBS responded "(E)ven if it...turns out to be true, it happened a long time ago and...they've gotta be figuring maybe, just maybe the American public has heard all they want to hear about this and are saying, you know, 'Next; let's move on to the next thing.'"

And then in a May 15, 2001 interview with Bill Reilly, when asked why CBS News had mentioned crackpot rumors of George Bush's drug use on air seven times, but the name "Juanita Broaddrick" had never crossed Dan Rather's lips (and was only mentioned twice on all of CBS News), Rather replied: "Juanita Broaddrick, to be perfectly honest, I don't remember all the details of Juanita Broaddrick. But I will say that - and you can castigate me if you like. When the charge has something to do with somebody's private sex life, I would prefer not to run any of it."

Calling this guy a journalist is an insult to journalism, even with as bad a reputation as that occupation now has.

shut up

Typical of the rabid left. Spew hate about those that they do not like. Alynski method at its best.

Alynski Rules for Radicals states:

Never discuss issues with the opposition because it humanizes them.

Demonize the opposition.

MARTHAS IS A GOOD

ALYNSKI DISCIPLE

Your rant is pure hate filled garbage. Alynski method pure and simple.