Incredible Shot - Savage 338 Lapua

WOW, what a shot!!!

Savage makes some sweet rifles.

Those newer rounds that "reach out and touch you" definitely zip along.

The Barret M-107 .50 is another one.

I used to have a .270 with a 3-9 varable, I was able reached out to 200 yards. I thought THAT was purrrty good at the time. lol

American Hunter - Billy Dixon’s Remarkable Shot Now this was with "iron sights". Something about people named Billy & Texas when it comes to incredible shooting.

M-14 .308 is good enough for me. I trained on it in Basic Training 1968. Army snipers used a scoped version in Vietnam. I bought mine after the Rodney King riots. Zeroed in at 100 yds. 2500 rounds stored.

I've done 700 - 800 yards with iron sights with the old 03 Springfield. 3' X 3' target. Full military. 1,200 yard shots can easily be accomplished ( probably much farther ) with good optics.

On this date, June 27, 1874, a battle began that eventually culminated in a 23-year-old army scout—Billy Dixon—felling a Native American with a Sharps .50-90-2 1/2-inch rifle at 1,578 yards. That’s about 9/10 of a mile. Dixon made his famous shot at the second battle of Adobe Walls, along the Canadian River in Texas. Now, many people say it was pure luck; & maybe so, but the remaining Indians didn't hang around to find out how lucky Dixon's shooting actually was.

this guy might not be using one but, I saw these spotting scopes at the gun show.
where you place a camera near the target like this one and it transmits to your laptop so you can see where you hit.

I almost bought a sako 338 lapua, its the top of the line

it was $10,000 worth of rifle in his rolling flight case with extra mags, scopes and a bunch of case candy

he wanted $2500, I was walking around thinking about offering him $2000 when I saw this guy dragging it over to his table.

if you guys want a cheap .50 cal, they ship direct to you, because its not a receiver, your lower is, no ffl required

these uppers attach to your ar15 lowers

just push the pins and shoot, they also have a magazine model

Ferret50_rtmid2-vi.jpg

Tactilite-T2-50-BMG-conversion-2.jpg

M-14 .308 is good enough for me. I trained on it in Basic Training 1968. Army snipers used a scoped version in Vietnam. I bought mine after the Rodney King riots. Zeroed in at 100 yds. 2500 rounds stored.

you have a selective fire M-14 ?

I bought some sabot ( Sa Bo ) .223 collared for 30 06. Now, I can't say how accurate it will be; but it can hit 4,500 fps. Even a 60 grain hitting at 4,000 + is a devastating round.

mds-rel7.gif

SABOTS - .22 bullets in .30 cal. guns

By the way, I found out the correct pronounciation is SA-BO with long A and long O sounds, being French in origin.

sabot2.jpg What exactly are Sabots? They are little plastic looking jackets (actually nylon) that are .308 caliber in outside diameter and hold a .22 caliber bullet in the "fingers". When crimped in a .30 caliber case, like a 30-06, 30/30 or a .308 it holds the bullet in tightly.
The illustration (next to a standard .30 cal bullet) is a Hornady .224 VMAX, 55 grain bullet and the .22/.308 sabot. The sabot weighs 6 grains. Now we have a total bullet weight of 61 grains, but the slick side of the sabot will offer very little resistance in the rifling of the gun barrel.

As of this writing, I have not fired any finished rounds with the sabots. Here is what I know so far.
From the E. Arthur Brown Company, they have said this:

Our Sabots for .30 caliber guns allow you to shoot .223 bullets. 30-30s shoot up to 3500 fps, 30-06 up to 4200 fps. Load data is included. Price is $9.95 for 100 Sabots (.223 bullets not included) Soft Nose Bullet Seater is $14.95 (for seating bullets into sabots) Shipping is $5.25

Eben Brown

E. Arthur Brown Company
3404 Pawnee Dr.
Alexandria, MN 56308 USA
Ph. 320/762-8847, FAX 320/763-4310
Email sales@eabco.com
http://www.eabco.com

You may want to use faster burning powders and you want a really clean barrel since there is no friction from the nylon sabots. Expect +4,000 fps speeds and devasting effects on targets upon impact.
Wow! This sounds impressive, doesn't it?

If you buy some sabots, you should get the load sheet with them. For the 30-06, the load data sheet suggest starting off with 47.5 gr. of IMR 3031 (30,700 psi) and working up to a MAX of 57.0 gr. (44,200 psi). Compare that with the Speer load manual for 30-06 for the 100 grain plinker and they call for a range of 53.0 to 57.0 grains of 3031. An older Lyman load book shows a cast lead bullet of 118 grain weight and suggest between 30.0 and 38.0 (max) grains of 3031 powder. So, you can use some of your current books taking these factors into account and adjusting loads accordingly.

There are many obvious advantages to using Sabots. It certainly costs less than big .30 cal bullets. These new sabots are far better than some of the first on the market that were not moulded in one piece. I hear of 1" groups at 100 yards. Recoil is less and at 4,000+ fps, your trusty old .30 caliber becomes a potent varmint rifle with explosive potential.
Return to Reloading Page

I was seriously considering a Sharps Big 50, then a 45 70; but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you spend 5 - 6 grand to get started with a high end Sharps, you better be in for the haul & not get tired of it too quickly. So I found a Henry 45 70.Will see how it works out. Will need a basic 45 70 reloading kit . They are pricey rounds. A friend gave me about 350 Cases. Lucky me; but haven't reloaded for years. Still, slow reloading will get the job done. Also found a few molds for casting bullets. A start anyway. Trivia: A Big 50 Sharps could handle an 800 grain slug. Had to be like being hit by a freight train.

1874 Sharps Buffalo Rifle - Quigley®

quigley.png

Military Buttstock

Patch Box

No Cheek rest

No Pistol Grip

Standard Grade Wood ONLY

34" Heavy Octagon Barrel

45/70 or 45-110 Caliber

Pewter Tip

Hartford Collar

Double Set Triggers

Semi Buckhorn Rear Sight

#109A Aperture Card

Midrange Vernier Tang Sight

#111 Globe Aperture Front Sight

Antique or Std Color Finish (specify)

2 or 3 Gold Inlay Initials in Gold Oval

Starts at:

$3396

I was seriously considering a Sharps Big 50, then a 45 70; but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you spend 5 - 6 grand to get started with a high end Sharps, you better be in for the haul & not get tired of it too quickly. So I found a Henry 45 70.Will see how it works out. Will need a basic 45 70 reloading kit . They are pricey rounds. A friend gave me about 350 Cases. Lucky me; but haven't reloaded for years. Still, slow reloading will get the job done. Also found a few molds for casting bullets. A start anyway. Trivia: A Big 50 Sharps could handle an 800 grain slug. Had to be like being hit by a freight train.

Used to have a lever-action .45-70, used it incase I ran into a bear. lol

1874 Sharps Buffalo Rifle - Quigley®

quigley.png

Military Buttstock

Patch Box

No Cheek rest

No Pistol Grip

Standard Grade Wood ONLY

34" Heavy Octagon Barrel

45/70 or 45-110 Caliber

Pewter Tip

Hartford Collar

Double Set Triggers

Semi Buckhorn Rear Sight

#109A Aperture Card

Midrange Vernier Tang Sight

#111 Globe Aperture Front Sight

Antique or Std Color Finish (specify)

2 or 3 Gold Inlay Initials in Gold Oval

Starts at:

$3396

are you going to shoot black powder or smokeless ?

I would get the front globe with spirit level

what yardage are you going to shoot ?

I have the H&R buffalo classic in 45 70 (actually I added the barrel and sights shown)

I havent found the rear vernier I want yet, I dont want to mount it to the wood, with the stock bolt in there and all..

zoom_ultra_buffalo.jpg

this guy inlaid a mount block

base2.jpg

I have a small bore Anschutz 1813 with iron sights that I used to fire all the time in competitive matches in New England.

I feel so bad since it's wasting away in a case for the last 15 years. I should just sell it. It's identical to this one:

100_2113.jpg

I know. I really don't want to sell it though. I won some trophies with it. :D

It's so accurate (we used ELEY club and tenex at the time), it's sick. If you weren't getting 10/10, it was your problem.

Modern rounds - powder with 45 70. I downsized quite a bit these past 15 years ( sold maybe - 35 guns ). I regret selling the 03 Springfields my Dad bought after WW2 ( still in cosmoline ). I think he paid $35. each. A perfect 03, in cosmoline - you can pretty much name your price. I sold 3. Kept one - still full military. Still one of the top 10 distance - accuracy - and knock down power rifles.

I am shocked and appalled! Guns are EEEVIL and should be confiscated. And put some one in charge of the confiscation that knows the subject..I don't know maybe val jarret or Tiny tim geitner. Oh yeah, and it has to be some one who never served in the military(sorry comrades Bush flew jets in the Guard. I know it makes you nuts but it is a Fact.) refresh my memory, comrades. what branch was 2-4-22 in? Was he a Navy corpseman perhaps?