Report: % of Americans hitting 'deep poverty' over the past 3

The report, titled "The War on Poverty: 50 Years Later," was released by the House Budget Committee, which is chaired by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. Ryan was Mitt Romney’s running mate in the 2012 election and is considered a possible presidential contender in 2016.

The report, released March 3, 2014, argues in part that there are too many overlapping and ineffective programs designed to help poor Americans.

At one point, the authors overseen by Ryan tried to give a sense of how far-reaching the problem of poverty remains, despite the investment of countless taxpayer dollars over the course of several decades.

"Over the past three years, ‘deep poverty’ has reached its highest level on record," the report said. A footnote noted that a household living in "deep poverty" is defined as one that "makes less than 50 percent of the poverty line." (The report isn't the first to use the term "deep poverty" -- other researchers have as well.)

We wondered whether this was correct, so we turned to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the official source of federal statistics on poverty.

We found a table -- "Percent of People by Ratio of Income to Poverty Level" -- that breaks down those who earned various percentages of the poverty line. The smallest of those ratios was half the poverty line -- the "deep poverty" statistic the report cited.

The federal poverty level is actually a matrix of different dollar amounts. It depends on the size of the family, with larger families having a higher threshold. For one person in 2014, the poverty level is $11,670, and 50 percent of that works out to $5,835. For a family of four, the poverty level is $23,850, and 50 percent of that is $11,925.

The most recent data available is for 2012. That year, the Census Bureau found that 6.6 percent of Americans earned 50 percent or less of the poverty line.

It was also 6.6 percent for 2011, and it was 6.7 percent for 2010.

The table includes data going back to 1975, and the percentages were never as high as they got beginning in 2010. The highest percentage before 2010 was 6.3 percent in 2009; prior to that, it was 6.2 percent in 1993. That percentage was likely higher prior to the mid-1960s, since the poverty rate as a whole between 1959 and 1965 was between 17.3 percent and 22.4 percent, well above today's 15 percent. But before 1975, the statistic was not calculated, so we can’t know the answer for 50 percent of the poverty line for sure.

Not surprisingly, the percentage tends to rise after recessions, which explains the recent spike as well as the one in the early-1990s as well as another in the early 1980s. Prior to the most recent recession, the rate of Americans at 50 percent of poverty was 5.2 percent in both 2006 and 2007.

Our ruling

Ryan, through his committee’s report, said that over the past three years, the percentage of Americans living in "deep poverty" -- making less than 50 percent of the poverty line -- "has reached its highest level on record."

The past three years -- 2010 to 2012 -- clearly produced the highest percentage since the statistic has been calculated in 1975. While it’s possible the rate was higher prior to 1975, we don’t have statistics to prove that, so there’s no data "on record." So we rate the claim True.

Ok libs, get it over with. Let's here you blame everyone but Obama and yourselves.

Ok libs, get it over with. Let's here you blame everyone but Obama and yourselves.

right, as if every single thing happening under Obama's watch is his fault.. the libs played that game with Bush, congratulations for following suit..

it's good Paul ryan is addressing this though, until recently, there weren't too many Republicans who gave a sh*t about the gap between the rich and poor, so at least he is pretending to care

And after republicans promised jobs jobs jobs.

Im shocked.

and republicans won't do what obama wants.

and that's create jobs.

dumb ass.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Yeah, because Obama never made any promises. He always followed through. Did you read the article. It shows that its about how ineffective government programs are on poverty. Since libs champion government programs, I am afraid it's on you all.

Pretending to care is what republicans do best.

Not caring at all is what Democrats do best...and lie.

I thought the house could do it all by their selves. lol

the did it all by their selves in the 90's right???

After 14 trillion dollars in tax cuts.

you mean trickle down didn't work??

You didn't read the article did you?

Lol

dumbass.

Don't need to read the article. its all about 400 filibusters. and republicans stomping the obama agenda over four years ago.

I could have told ya. that the gap has grow. i don't need a article to tell me that.

You do realize that commenting on article that you didn't read makes you look enormously stupid, right?

Ill keep your thread alive. this is all expected after years of trickle down. your not breaking news.

I don't care about keeping the thread alive or not. The article has to do with government programs. It shows that they are causing poverty, not bringing people out of it. That is important knowledge.

I don't care about keeping the thread alive or not. The article has to do with government programs. It shows that they are causing poverty, not bringing people out of it. That is important knowledge.

well, this is a 'which came first, chicken or the egg' argument.. maybe the reason people are pushing more programs is because there is more poverty? The economy was hit hard, demographics are changing and we have a rapidly aging population, the globalized world creates rapid change leaving many chronically unemployed, so it isn't that easy.

Correlation doesn't imply causation

The only problem with what you said is the opposite is true, you are now scoring a perfect 1000 for 1000 wrong answers , you have not been right once in the short time i have known you

It is the government not stepping up to the banks causing the DEPRESSION that is the cause of poverty.

The Constitution and Libertarian parties are more than willing to take on this issue yet they just can't seem to get the votes.

It is the government not stepping up to the banks causing the DEPRESSION that is the cause of poverty.

The Constitution and Libertarian parties are more than willing to take on this issue yet they just can't seem to get the votes.

I try to tell fellow libertarians that they need to be patient. They are not going to change anything at the present time. However, it's the long run that we are looking at. There are a lot of important issues to address today, and yes, voting libertarian could be considered a wasted vote to some since they don't have the numbers to win. However, I look at it as the same as a retiremnt fund. If I sacrifice some money that I could use now and put away for the future, then not only will I be more financially secure, my children will too and their children. Same thing. Things are important now. However, if we sacrifice some elections and be patient, we will see our numbers grow in the future. Thus, giving the party more security. But they have to be patient and not think that their vote is wasted unless they vote the usual two party system.