Republicans have long had a strategy of lying and lying and lying and if they lied enough eventually some of the lies would stick. It is easier to tell a lie than it is to disprove it and Republicans count on that. It seems that when you bust them in one lie they tell another one. It's like playing Whack A Mole. As soon as you bash one Republican lie another lie pops up. The way to get rid of moles is to simply kill them but since killing Republicans would be frowned upon by some other than killing them how would you shut their lying mouths?

Given the fact that Republicans are such prolific liars can you think of some good strategies and tactics that can quickly efficiently neutralize their lying?

Liberal/Progressive/Democratic solutions generally favor the constitutional directive to "Provide for the General Welfare". These solutions largely make their own case and there is little incentive to mislead.

Modern Conservative/Republican/Tea Party solutions generally favor the very rich (who bribe them for favorable legislation) at the expense of everyone else. Republican solutions must be camouflaged by deceit to gain popularity. A GOOD LIE IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE TRUTH.

Since it's become nearly impossible to win elections with money from small donations, Democratic lawmakers are increasingly catching up to Republicans in their dependence on bribes from corporations and the very rich. So, in order to keep the bribes coming, Democratic lawmakers must increasingly pay more attention to their rich corporate benefactors and less to their constituents, many of whom are confused by BIG LIES from the political right.

The parties are becoming more alike. Plutocracy is here.

=====================================================================================

If I could think of an acceptable and effective strategy to counter the lies that come from right wing think tanks, surveys, focus groups and political strategists, I would have to be 1 - Deluded 2 - A lot smarter than all the Democratic political strategists.

Liberal/Progressive/Democratic solutions generally favor the constitutional directive to "Provide for the General Welfare". These solutions largely make their own case and there is little incentive to mislead.

Modern Conservative/Republican/Tea Party solutions generally favor the very rich (who bribe them for favorable legislation) at the expense of everyone else. Republican solutions must be camouflaged by deceit to gain popularity. A GOOD LIE IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THE TRUTH.

Since it's become nearly impossible to win elections with money from small donations, Democratic lawmakers are increasingly catching up to Republicans in their dependence on bribes from corporations and the very rich. So, in order to keep the bribes coming, Democratic lawmakers must increasingly pay more attention to their rich corporate benefactors and less to their constituents, many of whom are confused by BIG LIES from the political right.

=====================================================================================

If I could think of an acceptable and effective strategy to counter the lies that come from right wing think tanks, surveys, focus groups and political strategists, I would have to be 1 - Deluded 2 - A lot smarter than all the Democratic political strategists.

Plutocracy brought on and insured by Corpocracy. The uneducated Bible thumping red staters end up voting for the very people who are screwing them.

Some people would say kill them with kindness but I say they are not worth the effort. They are way past stupid. They are a hateful and intolerant bunch and I believe in confronting with no respect and with aggression. The ignorant not only repeat the lies of their masters they also knowingly tell lies. They are liars so I call them liars. They are hypocrites so I call them hypocrites. They are evil so I call them evil.

Whenever someone claims an altruistic reason to support a policy, but it clearly advances their narrow self-interest, the latter effect can explain such support regardless of whether it actually helps the supposed beneficiaries. Do people who support "Liberal/Progressive/Democratic solutions" personally benefit from the implementation of those solutions?

Whenever someone claims an altruistic reason to support a policy, but it clearly advances their narrow self-interest, the latter effect can explain such support regardless of whether it actually helps the supposed beneficiaries.

Sometimes, someone who claims altruistic reasons to support a policy actually has altruistic motivations and really want to help the beneficiaries. Other times, it's as you imply.

Purely self-serving causes in the name of altruism are and always have been, all too common; In government and the private sector.

Possibly all altruism is based on self-interest.... Whether that self-interest is satisfied by psychological satisfaction or participation in material benefit. Supporters of altruistic solutions may or may not benefit personally. The independently wealthy FDR did not need the New Deal for himself. The altruism of people who impulsively rescue others from burning buildings could have many motivations.

Do people who support "Liberal/Progressive/Democratic solutions" personally benefit from the implementation of those solutions?

You surely have he answer. Why don't you just come out and say it so we don't have to beat around the bush.

Do people who support "Liberal/Progressive/Democratic solutions" personally benefit from the implementation of those solutions?

You surely have he answer. Why don't you just come out and say it so we don't have to beat around the bush.

I'm not here to answer my own questions.

Members of the Democratic party have shown their willingness to lie over and over again, so why is it just the Republicans whose solutions "must be camouflaged by deceit to gain popularity"?

A claim nobody can make with surety.

Allow me please to rephrase my last question; why is it just the Republicans whose solutions *must* be camouflaged by deceit to gain popularity?

I gave a short explanation in post #2, shown again below. If you read past the first few lines you will see that I clearly indicated (bolded) that lawmakers from both parties, not "just the Republicans" lie.

//QUOTE//PolitiFact Says Republicans Lie Three Times More Often Than Democrats, According To New Study

by Meenal Vamburkar | 10:08 am, May 29th, 2013

Republicans lie more — at least according to the Tampa Bay Times’ PolitiFact. A new study found that the fact-checking operation finds Republicans to be less trustworthy than Democrats, based on the number of false claims made during President Obama‘s second term.

The study, by Center for Media and Public Affairs (CMPA) at George Mason University, took into account 100 PolitiFact-checked statements made by Democrats (46 claims) and Republicans (54 claims) in the first four months of Obama’s second term. The results? PolitiFact deemed Republicans were loose with the facts three times as often as their left-leaning counterparts. //UNQUOTE//

http://www.mediaite.com/online/politifact-says-republicans-lie-three-times-more-often-than-democrats-according-to-new-study/

"In this and future reports, CMPA does not evaluate the ratings given by the fact-checkers. We simply aggregate ratings provided by the fact-checkers themselves." - From the study (http://www.cmpa.com/study-media-fact-checker-says-republicans-lie-more/)

In fact, the CMPA released another article not even a year prior titled "Study: Fact-Checkers Disagree on Who Lies Most". So as I said, it's a claim nobody can make with surety.

I gave a short explanation in post #2, shown again below. If you read past the first few lines you will see that I clearly indicated that lawmakers from both parties, not "just the Republicans" lie.

Does this mean taking bribes and listening to rich corporate benefactors should be considered lying? Otherwise, what I bolded above isn't true.

Does this mean taking bribes and listening to rich corporate benefactors should be considered lying?

I and I'm guessing you, cannot get members of congress to listen to us and they would laugh at the amount of money we could offer them for bribes; If we were so inclined. Only very well-heeled lobbyists have the privilege of that particular legalized political corruption.

When a member of congress depends on the electorate for another term but depends on bribery to build a campaign war chest, there's usually a conflict of interest. The rich and corporate lobbyists generally want policies and laws which further enrich themselves to the financial detriment of most of the electorate.

A lawmaker who depends on bribes needs to convince the mass of the voters that he's doing the opposite. He must lie to win the next election. Republicans do it far more than Democrats because they favor the rich more.

Naturally, Republicans will deny it and Democrats will confirm it, muddying the waters for those trying to get at the truth.

But if you want concrete evidence of what's been going on, just look at the huge gap that has opened up between a few thousand uber rich and the rest of us in the score of years. You'll find very few followers of the Ayn Rand cult in the democratic party but the republican party is full of them. They idolize wealth and detest the poor.

Another claim you cannot make. Are you starting to understand the direction in which I'm trying to guide you?

Are you another partisan political guru? Do you have a following yet? Because if you do, which I doubt, I'm not one of them.

I can and do make that claim. The only convincing evidence shows that Republican lawmakers are more deceiving as is Faux News, Republican talking heads like Beck and Limbaugh and the entire Right Wing Noise Machine.

I make that claim as a proud Liberal. The difference in political philosophies is claims. You have to decide which ones you want to believe. You sound lost.

So what did you back up other than a bunch of assertions and denials? Answer.....Nothing.

What do you stand for? Political parity?

Gender: Not Telling. Ha ha ha. Not telling anything much of anything else either.

So what did you back up other than a bunch of assertions and denials? Answer.....Nothing.

You are correct, I haven't provided any evidence to support my political views. I also haven't made any of my political views known here; I've just been asking questions and trying to get some verifiable answers. If you're just as committed to your dogma as Republicans are to theirs, shouldn't that cause for concern?

You are correct, I haven't provided any evidence to support my political views. I also haven't made any of my political views known here; I've just been asking questions and trying to get some verifiable answers. If you're just as committed to your dogma as Republicans are to theirs, shouldn't that cause for concern?

Which side is telling the truth? My guess is, you won't get any verifiable answers on these boards. You have to decide what your core values are before you can decide which side you identify with, and to what extent, if any. Much of politics is identity. Until you know where your sentiments lie, you can't have a true personal ideology with which you will find others, including politicians, writers and those in the media, agree.

I have no dogma as defined by others for me. But I know with who and what I identify. I have a small set of core values, subject to adaptation by changing events in the physical world, the political arena and information, as it develops. I often examine my ideals and compare them to others to be sure I really agree or disagree and am not parroting some ideology because it sounded convincing. That is as far as my concern about my political commitment goes. Although not a political junkie I have kept myself informed, within reason. If I had not, I might not have the same commitment.

Some core values and ideals that I can think of this second:

~ I identify with the common person, not the big shot, within reason.

~ No one should be allowed to accumulate vast amounts of wealth without being made to give back to society, including the lowliest.

~ I believe in peace, and am against aggression, as much as can be achieved.

~ I very much want to see an egalitarian society, where those who don't hurt others are left to their own devices.

~ Social equality for all races, ethnic groups and sexual identifications.

~ All of society to work for the common good.

~ FDR's economic bill of rights.

These might be unrealistic ideals here and now. But they determine the vision I hold and the way I vote. They are why I'm in the Liberal wing of the Democratic Party.

Purple Party,

I would have to say that yes, both sides of the isle in congress play a disturbing game. But the idea is to speak the truth, that's what we should want of any leader in office. Too much money in politics. I dislike the two party system and the way nothing ever gets done. It truly is corporate control that keeps it this way.We have a huge and growing trade deficit and the banking system --- the Federal Reserve Board with it's horrible privately held governing board works against the average worker in our consumer economy while supporting the multinational corporations --- this everyone knows is chiefly responsible for what Ross Perot described as the giant sucking sound that is killing jobs.

Blue Dog mentioned his core values and ideals:

Some core values and ideals that I can think of this second:

~ I identify with the common person, not the big shot, within reason.

~ No one should be allowed to accumulate vast amounts of wealth without being made to give back to society, including the lowliest.

~ I believe in peace, and am against aggression, as much as can be achieved.

~ I very much want to see an egalitarian society, where those who don't hurt others are left to their own devices.

~ Social equality for all races, ethnic groups and sexual identifications.

~ All of society to work for the common good.

~ FDR's economic bill of rights.

I agree. There is no such thing as separate but equal. If we want a real meritocracy, we must promote these things in absolute terms. There's always going to be people who out perform others, this is absolutely true. But we all need to think first and foremost about our neighbor and our society and work together. Remember that the kid who is poor and brought up on the wrong side of the street will one day either make this a better world, or end up doing wrong and find his or her way in prison.

Also, we do need to understand that Social Security is a vital policy we need to make work --- and this can easily be achieved. Same thing with Medicare.

Just think what a country where everyone has good health care and the right to an excellent education would mean someday. Remember, we make the future, it doesn't rule us. It never did.

Peace!

• Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I used to think this kind of lying was exclusive to the right-wing media. IMHO, it still happens far more often with them. There's a documentary I'd like to see about this very topic. Called Orwell Rolls in His Grave. Don't know if any of you guys have seen it?