Bernie Maddoff: A different perspective?

I read that he is considered a celebrity by other inmates. I found this odd because I would think that he would be a primary target among the inmate population. That news just didn't seem to fit, 2+2 was not equalling 4. Why would a 1%er who ripped off billions of dollars be considered a celebrity among a population who are mostly poor? So, I investigated. A friend brought up an interesting point. He said that most of his victims were in the 1% or close to it. Yes, he did rip off middle class retirees, but most were highly paid celebrities and billionairs. So a 1%er ripped off a bunch of other 1%ers. He also made the interesting observation that he went to jail for it. However, he is not the only investor on Wallstreet who was found guilty of embezzlement and fraud. Many were found guilty, but were not criminally charged. Why? Well, because they ripped off the middle class, not the 1%ers. So is that why he is considered a hero? I don't know, but its worth entertaining.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't care about the wealth distribution thing. I go for what I can get and not worry about who has what and who doesn't have what. However, I'll never defend stealing whether its from the rich, middle class, or the poor. Period.

I read that he is considered a celebrity by other inmates. I found this odd because I would think that he would be a primary target among the inmate population. That news just didn't seem to fit, 2+2 was not equalling 4. Why would a 1%er who ripped off billions of dollars be considered a celebrity among a population who are mostly poor? So, I investigated. A friend brought up an interesting point. He said that most of his victims were in the 1% or close to it. Yes, he did rip off middle class retirees, but most were highly paid celebrities and billionairs. So a 1%er ripped off a bunch of other 1%ers. He also made the interesting observation that he went to jail for it. However, he is not the only investor on Wallstreet who was found guilty of embezzlement and fraud. Many were found guilty, but were not criminally charged. Why? Well, because they ripped off the middle class, not the 1%ers. So is that why he is considered a hero? I don't know, but its worth entertaining.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't care about the wealth distribution thing. I go for what I can get and not worry about who has what and who doesn't have what. However, I'll never defend stealing whether its from the rich, middle class, or the poor. Period.

The only reason he went to jail is because he stole from other rich people.

Bernie Maddoff is one of the biggest crooks in the history of the USA, of course he'd be treated like a king in prison, that dude is a gangster. He probably talks about how he got away with it all those years, and lived the life all those criminals dream of.