Woman living off the grid is facing eviction

Zaro

By Jonathan Wolfe, Mon, February 24, 2014

In 2012, Florida resident Robin Speronis made the decision to live off the grid. She uses solar panels, propane heaters, rainwater filters, and a camp shower to get by without using her city’s water or electrical services.

Her lifestyle drew the interest of those in her community – so much so that a local news station decided to run a segment on her. Just one day after the story ran, city authorities showed up at Speronis’ door.

“A code-enforcement officer came, knocked on the door then posts a placard that says ‘uninhabitable property, do not enter’,” she told WFTX in an interview. Speronis owns her home and is paid up to date on all taxes, so the typical reasons for an eviction notice do not apply.

Cape Coral’s city code-compliance manager said the notice was placed at Speronis’ home because she doesn’t have running water or electricity at the house. But, as Speronis and attorney Todd Allen point out, neither of these offenses are listed in the city code.

"When this was brought to my attention I felt like I had to act. I felt like Cape Coral was intruding in the woman's lifestyle," Allen said.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-living-grid-faces-eviction-if-she-doesnt-hook-back

In 2012, Florida resident Robin Speronis made the decision to live off the grid. She uses solar panels, propane heaters, rainwater filters, and a camp shower to get by without using her city’s water or electrical services.

Her lifestyle drew the interest of those in her community – so much so that a local news station decided to run a segment on her. Just one day after the story ran, city authorities showed up at Speronis’ door.

“A code-enforcement officer came, knocked on the door then posts a placard that says ‘uninhabitable property, do not enter’,” she told WFTX in an interview. Speronis owns her home and is paid up to date on all taxes, so the typical reasons for an eviction notice do not apply.

Cape Coral’s city code-compliance manager said the notice was placed at Speronis’ home because she doesn’t have running water or electricity at the house. But, as Speronis and attorney Todd Allen point out, neither of these offenses are listed in the city code.

"When this was brought to my attention I felt like I had to act. I felt like Cape Coral was intruding in the woman's lifestyle," Allen said.http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-living-grid-faces-eviction-if-she-doesnt-hook-back

why, yes!!! Keep voting for more govrrnment, more layers of govrrnment, and more control-less autonomy of citizens!!

Is the city water connected to her house?? It is up to her if she wants to shut off the main

She can always say she just throws her poop in the trash or composts it and her urine goes in the garden

I wouldn't eat the peppers, though.

"When this was brought to my attention I felt like I had to act. I felt like Cape Coral was intruding in the woman's lifestyle," Allen said.http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-living-grid-faces-eviction-if-she-doesnt-hook-back

this woman exhibts the exact same mentality many southerners do. So, as per your comments in another thread, you think the woman in your OP is a cousin phucking, moonshine drinking, snake charming idiot?

this woman exhibts the exact same mentality many southerners do. So, as per your comments in another thread, you think the woman in your OP is a cousin phucking, moonshine drinking, snake charming idiot?

This woman is obviously trying to be as independent and as much of an "island" as she can be. If I were a liberal, I would be as confused as hell on how to react.

"When this was brought to my attention I felt like I had to act. I felt like Cape Coral was intruding in the woman's lifestyle," Allen said.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/woman-living-grid-faces-eviction-if-she-doesnt-hook-back

This should be something we can all agree is ridiculous and government overreach