What do you mean "unequal?" They are not the same thing. Do for-profit businesses and non-profit businesses deserve unequal recognition by the law?

What special provisions of law would you like to see for people who are in a homosexual parntership with one or more persons of the same sex?

I would like to see them be treated equally as a heterosexual relationship

same tax benefits

same rights for spouses benefits

thats about it

same tax benefits

thats about it

You tell us why they should be restricted to only two people and I'll tell you why those two people should be a man and a woman

same tax benefits

thats about it

So .... it's about money? You think that's what marriage is about?

"Mr. Blankenhorn, who opposes same-sex marriage, believes that the national debate about the issue can be rescued from the polarized clash of gut reactions, religious injunctions, emotional appeals and accusations of bigotry. He even believes the debate could provide “an invaluable opportunity for Americans to have a serious national discussion about marriage’s meaning and future.”

The problem with that debate until now, as he sees it, is that “almost always, the main focus is ‘gay,’ not ‘marriage.’ ”

Mr. Blankenhorn cites what he calls the “wafer-thin” definitions of marriage that increasingly turn up in court decisions and polemical articles about same-sex ties: “a unique expression of a private bond and profound love”; “a private arrangement between parties committed to love”; “the exclusive commitment of two individuals to each other.”

Some of this commitment talk sounds sweet, and some of it, like “committed, interdependent partnerships between consenting adults,” sounds more like a real estate transaction than a marriage. But for Mr. Blankenhorn, these definitions miss the point. He is amused, for instance, at their neo-Victorian avoidance of any mention of sex. Similarly, these definitions dodge any mention of children and parenthood. They emphasize marriage as private and too diverse (“unique”) to be pinned down.

On the contrary, Mr. Blankenhorn writes, marriage is a “social institution,” a set of shared understandings and public meanings that shape expectations and conduct. Marriage has evolved and, yes, may be “constantly evolving”; here Mr. Blankenhorn moves through biology, prehistory, history and anthropology, from ancient Mesopotamia to the Trobriand Islands. But marriage fundamentally involves sexual intercourse and the affiliation — emotionally, practically and legally — between any child created and both parents." http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/us/23beliefs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

You tell us why they should be restricted to only two people and I'll tell you why those two people should be a man and a woman

I believe a man with more than one wife constitutes marriage. But no the other way around.

Marriage is a biologically driven evolutionary construct of human society.

• Upvote 1

Actually there are some statistics going around that say a white men and black women have the lowest divorce rates of any ethnic pairings. If a white man marries a black women, he is less likely to get divorced than if he marries a white woman.

I am a white American and I dated a Hispanic woman for 3 years. That's my only experience. I lived with a Hispanic woman and her parents spoke Spanish at her. They left messages on her phone in Spanish. I learned some.

Gay marriage today. Marry your sister tomorrow. Who are you to judge. The persecution and discrimination of gays is equal to or greater than what happened to the blacks. Who gave anyone the right to tell me i cannot marry my mother. I loved her and she loved me. What right does anyone have to tell me i cannot marry my brother. A father should be able to marry his son. Health insurance covers the child until the child is 26. Marriage covers the child with health insurance as long as the persons are married. Why can't a man marry a goat. A woman a dog. This discrimination is just not right. When we legalize all and any of these unions i hope we can immediately start legislation allowing these people to adopt. It's for the children. There are too many judgmental people right now but we are surely headed to a more enlightened society.

• Upvote 1

I am more worried about the side effects of cannibalism in Papua New Guinea than gays getting married.

As some woman once pointed out to me, if they are married, then they are less promiscuous, so there is a clear way to ease your mind about same sex promiscuity.

Actually there are some statistics going around that say a white men and black women have the lowest divorce rates of any ethnic pairings. If a white man marries a black women, he is less likely to get divorced than if he marries a white woman.

I am a white American and I dated a Hispanic woman for 3 years. That's my only experience. I lived with a Hispanic woman and her parents spoke Spanish at her. They left messages on her phone in Spanish. I learned some.

I thought this thread was about so-called gay marriage? What are you going on about?

And she's hot

And you, Mister County, need to put on a shirt!

I thought this thread was about so-called gay marriage? What are you going on about?

The OP says this: "Interracial marriages are one kind of marriage that is almost guaranteed to fail, most of the time from "Incompatibility of personality".."

There is no proof of that. Interracial marriages work completely fine.

TechnicallyMarriage is when you unite two different things to create something new and totally different.In auto assembly plants, the marriage station is where the chassis and body are married to create the vehicle.In building construction, and bolt and a nut are married to create a connection,And in chemistry, two different elements are married to create a compoundWhat you guys are talking about is the same as trying to marry two chassis, or two bolts, and two atoms of the same elementNow, I ain't necessarily opposed to what you are trying to do, but it ain't going to be a marriageIt'll be another perversion of the English language that Liberals are famous for, like changing the word gay to mean queer and changing the word assault to mean uglyYou think that changing the meaning of a word as old as recorded history is going to make it okay to stick your pecker in some guy's ass. Well, if that's what floats your boat, go right ahead and get [excrement] on your dick, I don't care the least little bitBut it ain't going to be a marriage,,,,

17 states and counting have gay marriage. Keep pretending it doesn't exist. That's what conservatives are good at going back to Jim Crow days, trying to restrict people's freedoms.

As usual, another con on the wrong side of history.

The OP says this: "Interracial marriages are one kind of marriage that is almost guaranteed to fail, most of the time from "Incompatibility of personality".."

There is no proof of that. Interracial marriages work completely fine.

Oh, I see. And i agree with you, btw.

Technically

Marriage is when you unite two different things to create something new and totally different.

In auto assembly plants, the marriage station is where the chassis and body are married to create the vehicle.

In building construction, and bolt and a nut are married to create a connection,

And in chemistry, two different elements are married to create a compound

What you guys are talking about is the same as trying to marry two chassis, or two bolts, and two atoms of the same element

Now, I ain't necessarily opposed to what you are trying to do, but it ain't going to be a marriage

It'll be another perversion of the English language that Liberals are famous for, like changing the word gay to mean queer and changing the word assault to mean ugly

You think that changing the meaning of a word as old as recorded history is going to make it okay to stick your pecker in some guy's ass. Well, if that's what floats your boat, go right ahead and get [excrement] on your dick, I don't care the least little bit

But it ain't going to be a marriage,,,,

Although you put it rather crudely and with "guy oriented" analogies, I have to say I basically agree with you.

Marriage is what creates human societies. As I said previously, it's a biologically driven evolutionary construct of human societies. It's what make previously unrelated families "related" to each other and binds them together and families are what creates communnities and societies. The entire history of human societies tells us this (along with biology) Generally, though not always, marriage produces children through normal biological procreation who become part of both previously unrelated families. Homosexual partnerships do not do this. If your brother has a homosexual lover who he has partnered with in shared living arrangements, that does not make your brother's homosexual partner your brother-in-law.

• Upvote 1

17 states and counting have gay marriage. Keep pretending it doesn't exist. That's what conservatives are good at going back to Jim Crow days, trying to restrict people's freedoms.

As usual, another con on the wrong side of history.

Is that more or less than the number of states that have expanded gun rights since that maniac shot those kids in Connecticut?

Nice dodge and change of subject.

Like I said. You stupid cons are always on the wrong side of history.

the wrong side of history....you mean like the centralized societies which have collapsed? Or the centralized docieties, the leaders of which decimated their anti gun compliant sheepizens by massive murdering sprees and crushing oppression?

History is the recounting of compliant and apathetic citizens led by they who kill the most, yell the loudest, or lie the best. And you seem to think this is a good thing.

Yes you are correct, he did reverse his opinion on the issue and explained why he did

Reversing an opinion shows openess and willingness to change.. it is not lying

Remember Colbert's brilliant and fearless callout of Bush at the Correspondents' Dinner? With the grinning imbecile sitting two seats away, Colbert said: "The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will. "

The best part was Bush's contorted, rageful face - the face of a narcissist who is not being catered to.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how to quote yet, but those were some bigoted words coming out of the mouth of PolitiMom. She's probably glad that the Tea Party is trying to reverse gay marriage.

Maybe it's because of how I was raised, but I never saw any problem with two people of the same sex wanting to marry. For the record, I am gay. If, as I want, I were to move to Scandinavia, I would have to have a good income and be married in order to be a citizen. By the way, most EU countries have left us in the dust for social progress.

I'm new to this site, but my first impression is that she seems to be of the Juan Williams School of Liberals.