11 Facts About The Minimum Wage Obama Forgot To Mention

During his annual State of the Union address before Congress, President Barack Obama made a big deal about the need to increase the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. The move followed months of promises and rhetoric from the White House about how important it was to the economy to increase the minimum wage.

...Unfortunately for the White House, many of its claims about the minimum wage are divorced from reality. Here are 11 facts about the minimum wage that Barack Obama forgot to mention during his State of the Union address.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/28/11-facts-about-the-minimum-wage-that-president-obama-forgot-to-mention-during-the-state-of-the-union/

1) Only 1 Percent Of The U.S. Labor Force Earns The Minimum Wage

Despite the hoopla surrounding the issue, only a tiny percentage of American workers actually earn the federal hourly minimum wage: 1 percent, to be exact. In 2012, the most recent year for which nationwide minimum wage data is available from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), roughly 1.5 million hourly workers were paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25. To put that into perspective, the U.S. labor force consisted of nearly 155 million workers in 2012.

9) One-Third Of Minimum Wage Workers Either Dropped Out Of Or Never Attended High School

Educational attainment is clearly a significant factor in determining a workers hourly wage. According to BLS, over 36 percent of minimum wage earners 568,000 out of more than 1.5 million lack a high school diploma. Only 4 percent of minimum wage workers have a bachelors degree or higher. That doesnt mean a college education is best for everyone, but it does suggest that lacking one can make it more difficult to move up the pay ladder.

2) Teenagers Comprise The Single Largest Age Group Of Minimum Wage Workers

3) Most Minimum Wage Workers Are Under The Age Of 25

4) A Majority Of Those Who Earn The Minimum Wage Work In Food Preparation Or Sales

5) Less Than 5 Percent Of People Who Earn The Minimum Wage Work In Construction Or Manufacturing

6) A Majority Of Them Also Worked Less Than 30 Hours Per Week

7) Less Than One-Third Worked Full-Time

8) A Full-Time Minimum Wage Worker In 2014 Will Make 24 Percent More Than The Federal Poverty Limit

10) There Are Nearly Six Times More Minimum Wage Workers Today Than In 2007

11) A Change In The Minimum Wage Often Triggers Union Wage Hikes And Benefit Renegotiations

BY: SEAN DAVIS

I agree that we need less teens and under educated dopes working. Lay them off. It is almost impossible for them to get another job. If they get unemployment that will be running out soon even if the senate approves the bill. It is time they started working on their MBA. Robots will stock shelves and flip burgers. They can mooch off their lib parents until they are 26 and oblameocare kicks in.

I agree that we need less teens and under educated dopes working. Lay them off. It is almost impossible for them to get another job. If they get unemployment that will be running out soon even if the senate approves the bill. It is time they started working on their MBA. Robots will stock shelves and flip burgers. They can mooch off their lib parents until they are 26 and oblameocare kicks in.

The best option for them is to become PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS until they are ready to retire at age 80! PERMANENT STUDENTS! A whole new career!

That way, they will never have to face the cold, hard reality of actually working for a living!

Hell, it worked for me until my parents had had enough and booted me out of the house at age 26. Free room and board, part time college guy, taking only the easy courses, partying at night and sleeping in till noon!

But I had an excuse for failure to get a decent job. I had an injury, and unions would not hire me, and all the high paying jobs were union back in the 60's.And I got no gov.'t bennies.

The best option for them is to become PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS until they are ready to retire at age 80! PERMANENT STUDENTS! A whole new career!

That way, they will never have to face the cold, hard reality of actually working for a living!

Hell, it worked for me until my parents had had enough and booted me out of the house at age 26. Free room and board, part time college guy, taking only the easy courses, partying at night and sleeping in till noon!

But I had an excuse for failure to get a decent job. I had an injury, and unions would not hire me, and all the high paying jobs were union back in the 60's.And I got no gov.'t bennies.

Same reason Obamacare will never work.