Who here Considers them self a logical person and is also religious?

Don't worry I am not going to bash anyone here. I am just curious what lead you to become or to continue following a religious doctrine. For me while I believe in an overall higher power I hold no stock in any religious text. I also find many religious people to be total hypocrites (the ones I meet in real life). Some do it for the status it gives them in a community and others do it because of a fear of Hell instead of love of God (or Allah Or whatever). I am curious why those who attempt to be good Christians/Muslims/Jews who also consider themselves rational continue following a particular religion.

Or I am curious why those who attempt to be good Christians/Muslims/Jews who also consider themselves rational continue following a particular religion.

I am curious why theories aren't considered as empty headed misguideance as religions? Both are subjective denials of self containment. both attempt to make language arts the only means to communicate an understanding of what self evident is when actions speak louder than words by the deeds and results of everything said in combination to defining humanity being separate from being human single lifetimes making symbolic values more important than self sustaining substances never the same added details twice currently?

people that believe in religion are no more illogical than people who believe in any philosophy, whether political, mathematical, or otherwise.

it's a matter of perception.

I disagree, I think if you can't prove something then it is illogical to believe in it.

Edit* which isn't to say its BAD to believe one thing over another.

Love is about as illogical as it comes, but it is something I believe in. I'll be happy to explain why if you want.

i know why you believe in it. a matter of perception. your problem may be the definition of logical. we are said to have 5 senses.

a lot of unimaginative people believe these 5 senses are the all-encompassing gauge of what is "real". but that doesn't stand to logical

reasoning because there are other life forms on this planet with different senses and enhanced senses. a bat has a radar sense.

is his reality not real simply because we aren't taught we have that sense? i actually feel a bit sorry for people who are so caged

in the textbook 5 senses that they can't perceive otherwise. to me? logical and illogical aren't even relevant. it's what you know through perception.

i know why you believe in it. a matter of perception. your problem may be the definition of logical. we are said to have 5 senses.

a lot of unimaginative people believe these 5 senses are the all-encompassing gauge of what is "real". but that doesn't stand to logical

reasoning because there are other life forms on this planet with different senses and enhanced senses. a bat has a radar sense.

is his reality not real simply because we aren't taught we have that sense? i actually feel a bit sorry for people who are so caged

in the textbook 5 senses that they can't perceive otherwise. to me? logical and illogical aren't even relevant. it's what you know through perception.

it has been said that I can smell tuna in 400 ft of water.

Just saying

You tell him, Lews!

I get what your saying. Maybe I should have used 'rational' instead of logical. Basically its not rational to believe in a giant man in the sky when there is no concrete evidence of such a figure, but I do anyway.

Don't worry I am not going to bash anyone here. I am just curious what lead you to become or to continue following a religious doctrine. For me while I believe in an overall higher power I hold no stock in any religious text. I also find many religious people to be total hypocrites (the ones I meet in real life). Some do it for the status it gives them in a community and others do it because of a fear of Hell instead of love of God (or Allah Or whatever). I am curious why those who attempt to be good Christians/Muslims/Jews who also consider themselves rational continue following a particular religion.

Well there's a number of things. Many religions explain what are demonstrably real natural laws. The law of karma is nothing more than "you reap what you sow". Thus living rightly by the religious laws brings you less bad consequences and more blessings in life.

Secondly, no one can deny the unexplainable happens. Most religious people will acknowledge they don't know all, and that there is room for the supernatural. Most have seen this intervention in their lives that can only be explained by a higher power.

Finally, faith in Jesus Christ enables you to be bold and empowered to accomplish or overcome anything, while keeping you humble before him to avoid pride and it's bad consequences.

I'm never met a religious person who's life is worse now than it was before being religious.

What keeps you from taking the step to try it and analyze it empirically. I'm sure you will find that your life will be more fulfilling.

I consider myself to be logical, tho I am more spiritual than religious . Yes i belive in God and the Mesiah, but I do not worship them at a church, rather I worship them in my own way eachand every day. Religion is to ridgid and dogmatic for my taste.

I consider myself to be logical, tho I am more spiritual than religious . Yes i belive in God and the Mesiah, but I do not worship them at a church, rather I worship them in my own way eachand every day. Religion is to ridgid and dogmatic for my taste.

Pretty close to my thoughts on the subject. I find that religion creates too many sheeple. People who rarely question what they are told is a bad thing. I believe in a 'God' but I don't change my day to day behavior to do what I think he will like. If he wanted me to live differently he would say so.

I disagree, I think if you can't prove something then it is illogical to believe in it.

Edit* which isn't to say its BAD to believe one thing over another.

Describe the difference between the color red and the color green to a blind man.

To him color is illogical.

Let him who has eyes to see....

Pretty close to my thoughts on the subject. I find that religion creates too many sheeple. People who rarely question what they are told is a bad thing. I believe in a 'God' but I don't change my day to day behavior to do what I think he will like. If he wanted me to live differently he would say so.

Then why start this thread? You are religious and logical. You are the one you are asking? Weird.

For me, it is a matter of logic. When I read the exact detailed future events outlined in the Book of Daniel - only God knows the future.

The lost don't even know what the book says. When atheist ARE confronted and know the details - they CANNOT say that the future is not spelled out by Daniel. So, all you atheist that say Daniel does not tell future events don't know what you are talking about--OTHER atheist who have spent time doing the research ADMIT that the book of Daniel does tell the future.

The is no debate among those that are not ignorant that Daniel does predict the future.

How do atheist explain this? They must claim Daniel was written after the fact.

Those atheist get around the truth by saying it is written after the fact.

So, the whole argument comes down to this: Is that true? Was it written after the fact?

There is a TON of evidence - more than enough - for any reasonable person to logically determine it could NOT have been written after the fact.

Just one example (there are dozens - but one is all that is needed) - the historian Jew Josephus recorded INDEPENDENTLY from the bible that Alexander the Great was shown a copy of the book of Daniel and because he was shown to be in the ancient text he spared the Jews from being slaughtered. Of course, if Alexander the Great was not in the book then I don't think this would have worked too well for the Jews.

What is the mighty comeback to this evidence? What do the atheist have to say to this?

Well, they say "It is just too good".

In other words, the evidence is just too good for them to accept.

Yep folks, that is the great scholarly defense of the date of the book of Daniel. That is it.

That is all the other side has...period.

To think that millions upon millions of souls will be in hell for all eternity when they CAN'T even answer LOGICAL questions---HOW did Alexander READ A BOOK THAT DID NOT EXIST? HOW DID JOSEPHUS KNOW hundreds of years later some idiotic atheist would claim the book was written 500 or 600 years after it was written?

What I have learned is what the bible has said all along--the lost are made to not understand. Logic is STARING them in the face but they cannot see it.

The poor atheist that have debated me quickly find out they know nothing about the whole situation. They DON'T want to know. As soon as the mountain of data begins to fall on them they just give up, curse me and God and Christians in general, and go back to their life of sin.

It is sad really.

I get what your saying. Maybe I should have used 'rational' instead of logical. Basically its not rational to believe in a giant man in the sky when there is no concrete evidence of such a figure, but I do anyway.

yeah. but no one but a small child or an atheist sees "God" as "a giant man in the sky". maybe a few adult retards. no one else.

i see God as the apex source of being. plain and simple. the universe, we included, are a manifestation of this source. and for someone to

be arrogant enough to believe that this which manifests us doesn't have intent, or that we can't perceive that intent, is truly the one being illogical.

Describe the difference between the color red and the color green to a blind man.

To him color is illogical.

Let him who has eyes to see....

Then why start this thread? You are religious and logical. You are the one you are asking? Weird.

I am not religious. I said I believe in a 'God' as in an over reaching power of the universe because all 'Scientific' research and explanations into the subject of the creation of the universe leave much to be desired.