Largest gun study ever

Spanning 1981 to 2010:

America has 12 times the gun homicides as other modern nation

Rate of gun ownership directly related to rate of gun deaths.

Now we have another spree shooting, we're at one per week now.

After Australia had a bad spree killing, they tightened their gun laws...the result?

A dramatic drop in gun violence and deaths.

A spree killing a week.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rate of gun deaths in the US has increased steadily on a yearly basis since 2008.

We're now approaching a gun death rate that will surpass the traffic death figures.

One spree killing per week. And it's not "crazies". Adam Lanza for instance, wasn't crazy.

He carefully planned out his entire day.

Here's some real information for you Dano

Violent gun crime has dropped dramatically in the past two decades, but the majority of Americans think it's more of a problem now than ever, according to a Pew Research Center study released Tuesday.

According to the survey, done in March, 56% of Americans believe gun crime is worse today than it was 20 years ago. And 84% believe in recent years, gun crime has either gone up or stayed the same — when the reality is that it has dropped significantly

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/gun-crime-drops-but-americans-think-its-worse/2139421/

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Pace of Decline Slows in Past Decade

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-1.jpg

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/05/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Gun Related Homicides Down 49% Despite What the Liars in the Obama Administration are Saying

http://theroycroftreport.com/2013/05/07/gun-related-homicides-down-49-despite-what-the-liars-in-the-obama-administration-are-saying/

Here's four independent sources that say your a liar.

I need to buy another gun. I have a 9mm. I want a model 1911 .45 cal.

So you can fire at the 6 burglars with a gun in both hands? Won't help, you'll still forget to flip the safety.

Rate of gun deaths in the US has increased steadily on a yearly basis since 2008.

We're now approaching a gun death rate that will surpass the traffic death figures.

One spree killing per week. And it's not "crazies". Adam Lanza for instance, wasn't crazy.

Spanning 1981 to 2010:

After Australia had a bad spree killing, they tightened their gun laws...the result?

A spree killing a week.

I have 5 guns never killed or shot anyone, guess I'm phucking the rate up.

{Adam Lanza for instance, wasn't crazy.}

Let's go thru Adam's plan for his entire day, get up around 7 A.M. eat some Captain Crunch, watch Sponge Bob, check in on Facebook, take a shower and get dressed, kill mom, load guns and ammo, drive to school and kill 20 kids and six adults then kill myself. You're idea of "wasn't crazy" and mine differ quite a bit because I think his plan for the day is pretty crazy.

Spanning 1981 to 2010:

Typical cherry-picking bull [excrement]. Every one of the countries below has a higher murder rate than that of the U.S. And 13 of them have a higher gun homicide rate. The fact that some don't necessarily have a higher GUN murder rate is insignificant. Only a dumbass libturd cares that it was a gun that killed someone. Dead is dead. And as you prove on a minutely basis, stupid is stupid.

Honduras

El Salvador

Ivory Coast

Venezuela

Belize

Jamaica

U.S. Virgin Islands

Guatemala

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Zambia

Uganda

Malawi

Lesotho

Trinidad and Tobago

South Africa

Colombia

Congo

Central African Republic

Bahamas

Puerto Rico

Ethiopia

Saint Lucia

Dominican Republic

Tanzania

Sudan

Mexico

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Guinea

Dominica

Brazil

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Panama

Equatorial Guinea

Guinea-Bissau

Kenya

Kyrgyzstan

Cameroon

Montserrat

Greenland

Angola

Guyana

Ecuador

Burkina Faso

Eritrea

Namibia

Rwanda

Chad

Ghana

North Korea

Benin

Sierra Leone

Mauritania

Botswana

Zimbabwe

Gabon

French Guiana

Papua New Guinea

Swaziland

Nicaragua

Bermuda

Comoros

Nigeria

Cape Verde

Grenada

Paraguay

Barbados

Togo

Gambia

Peru

Myanmar

Russia

Liberia

Costa Rica

Nauru

Bolivia

Kazakhstan

Senegal

Turks and Caicos Islands

Mongolia

British Virgin Islands

Cayman Islands

Seychelles

Madagascar

Indonesia

Mali

Pakistan

Moldova

Kiribati

Guadeloupe

Haiti

Timor-Leste

Anguilla

Antigua and Barbuda

Lithuania

Uruguay

Argentina

Philippines

Ukraine

Estonia

Cuba

Belarus

Thailand

Sorry, but correlation does not equal causation. Never has, never will.

No, we're not. We are in the 49th or 50th week of this year. Where are the previous 48 "spree shootings"?

Not so. They never had a dramatically high rate to begin with, so even a drop to zero wouldn't have been "dramatic."

A spree killing a week.

Dano - a retarded, unsupportable statement a minute.

The study, by Professor Michael Siegel at Boston University and two coauthors, has been peer-reviewed and is forthcoming in the American Journal of Public Health. Siegel and his colleagues compiled data on firearm homicides from all 50 states from 1981-2010, the longest stretch of time ever studied in this fashion, and set about seeing whether they could find any relationship between changes in gun ownership and murder using guns over time.

This is not a very interesting question. Obviously, guns will be involved with gun murders 100% of the time, and if there is a wider ownership of guns more people will choose to use guns to commit murders instead of other tools. The same can be said to be true for knives and knife murders, hammers and hammer murders, and so on. What would be a far more interesting question to study is the impact the rate of legal gun ownership has on all murders, and not just gun murders, and in this case there is a negative correlation between rates of legal gun ownership and murders, not gun murders, but the overall rate of murder.

... No good data on national rates of gun ownership exist (partly because of the NRA’s stranglehold on Congress), so the authors used the percentage of suicides that involve a firearm (FS/S) as a proxy. The theory, backed up by a wealth of data, is that the more guns there are any in any one place, the higher the percentage of people who commit suicide with guns as opposed to other mechanisms will be.

Please note that there is no claim at all that higher rates of gun ownership result in higher rates of suicide, only that higher rates of gun ownership result a greater praportion of suisids by gun instead of by other means.

What the article would like people to assumes is that there is casality between suiside rates, all suisides, and gun ownership rates when they can only show that more guns results in a higher proportion of suiside by gun, and not more suisides in general.

One demographic has almost a 100% gun ownership rate, I am a Texas concealed handgun license holder and our rate of murder is about 0.36 per 100,000 or about 16 times less then the rate at which law enforcement officers murder people. You are 16 times more likeley to be murdered by a cop than by a Taxan with a concealed handgun license. Think about that.

Coralation is not proof of causality but causality always results in a corelation. If higher rates of gun ownership cause more murders, then there must be a coralation between populations with high rates of gun ownership and high rates of murder. In this instance, a group of people with an exaceptionaly high rate of gun ownership, approaching 100%, is a group of people that has one of the lowest murder rates of any demographic.

... To put this in perspective, take the state of Mississippi. “All other factors being equal,” the authors write, “our model would predict that if the FS/S in Mississippi were 57.7% (the average for all states) instead of 76.8% (the highest of all states), its firearm homicide rate would be 17% lower.” Since 475 people were murdered with a gun in Mississippi in 2010, that drop in gun ownership would translate to 80 lives saved in that year alone.

Please note that the authors of the study did not write that bit about "80 lives saved", rather they only claim that the firarm homicide rate would be 17% lower, not the murder rate. We should note that not all homocides are murders, but more importantly the commentary about the study falsly assumed a coralation between rates of gun ownership and murder in general rather than a correlation between the rate of gun ownership and only gun murders. The two are very different but this is exactly the false conclusion that many ignorant readers will assume when the actual data shows exactly the opposite relationship between rates of legal gun ownership and the overall murder rate.

More legaly owned guns decreases the overal rate of murder even as it increases the percentage of murders that are commited by guns. I don't realy think the dead are overly concerned if they where blown away with a gun, stabed to death with a knife, strangled, poisoned, bludgened, or drowned. Fewer murdered people is a good thing even if a higher percentage of the people who are murder are killed by someone using a gun rather than by other means.

Professor John Lott did a deatailed study on the impact of "shall issue" concealed handgun laws and found that as states addopted liberal concealed handgun laws, the rates of murder, and other violent crimes decreased. This new study does not look at overall murder rates, only the ratio of murder by gun to murder by other means, and like I said, that is simply not a very interesting question to explore. I bet the public paid good money so that the autors could do a study where the conclusions where already obvious, and rather meaningless, to anyone with commen sense. Such a study does, however, allow anti-gun radical to make assertions that are simply not demonstrated by the study as is demonstrated by example in the statement "80 lives saved" when that has nothing at all to do with the question explored in the study.

Just more bovinity from dano bivins.

The US has a higher death by firearm rate than any other modern country by 12 times, you lying, cherry picking gun nut bastards.

We're at the top of the list, over Brazil.

"Gun deaths are down by 50%"...manchewer

Ummm...

iIpduQjKWA.k.jpg

I guess that makes you and whatever source you use...A LIAR.

Game over.

"U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/09/19/u-s-has-more-guns-and-gun-deaths-than-any-other-country-study-finds/

"U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds"

remove justifiable homocide from the list

then remove minorities from the list <<< the real problem with gun related crime

oh sorry, I forgot

you have zero credibility

nevermind...I know you arent into the facts...

I agree with you, Dano. But nothing is going to change about the gun laws in this country as long as the NRA has so much power. They have a very strong lobby and lots of money.

I agree with you, Dano. But nothing is going to change about the gun laws in this country as long as the NRA has so much power. They have a very strong lobby and lots of money.

its not the NRA dumbazz

its the people/the constitution

the NRA didnt keep harry "spineless" reid from bringing oblamers/feinsteins gun grab to a vote

it was your coward senators, including spineless reid, who knew it would be their last vote

get a life you America/constitution hating racist

you are wrong for America

its not the NRA dumbazz

its the people/the constitution

the NRA didnt keep harry "spineless" reid from bringing oblamers/feinsteins gun grab to a vote

it was your coward senators, including spineless reid, who knew it would be their last vote

get a life you America/constitution hating racist

you are wrong for America

Go clean those maggots out of your orifices. Don't you know that is unhealthy?

did anyone hear about darren mack ?

he slashed his wife to death, then shot his divorce judge from the upper parking lot across from the judges office, then he ran to mexico.

mexico wont extradite unless the USA promises not to try for the death penalty

anyway... he claimed self defense when he slashed his wife to death...

I guess libs would rather be slashed than shot,

the judge lived...

Go clean those maggots out of your orifices. Don't you know that is unhealthy?

you sure crumble when faced with facts

good libloon

did anyone hear about darren mack ?

he slashed his wife to death, then shot his divorce judge from the upper parking lot across from the judges office, then he ran to mexico.

mexico wont extradite unless the USA promises not to try for the death penalty

anyway... he claimed self defense when he slashed his wife to death...

I guess libs would rather be slashed than shot,

the judge lived...

you sure crumble when faced with facts

good libloon

I just don't like to argue with IDIOTS!