Nelson Mandela: RACIST

I don't get the point to requiring voter ID. In person voter fraud in the USA is rare, really rare. Your talking less than a few dozen per election in the entire country. If there is fraud it is in absentee ballots, which voter ID does nothing to combat. Also given the already pathetic levels of voting in US elections what is the purpose to an extra step, it will deter some people no matter how easy it is to obtain, if you prevent 100 legitimate voters from voting to stop 1 fraudulent vote that seems like the system is worse not better.

South Africa on the other hand has borders that make the Mexico-US border look airtight, and until recently a limited electoral register making a system without ID unworkable. Voting laws should reflect the local issues, e.g. some countries have made illegal to sign a ballot paper, others have a link on the ballot, albeit one that can only be connected under limited circumstances to the voter, etc.

That all said I think it is insane to call voting ID laws racist, they aren't in so far as they are intended to suppress the vote that is an intention against all poorer citizens, and in so far as they are a response to a perceived threat they are logical if the threat is deemed to be large.

I don't get the point to requiring voter ID. In person voter fraud in the USA is rare, really rare. Your talking less than a few dozen per election in the entire country. If there is fraud it is in absentee ballots, which voter ID does nothing to combat. Also given the already pathetic levels of voting in US elections what is the purpose to an extra step, it will deter some people no matter how easy it is to obtain, if you prevent 100 legitimate voters from voting to stop 1 fraudulent vote that seems like the system is worse not better.

South Africa on the other hand has borders that make the Mexico-US border look airtight, and until recently a limited electoral register making a system without ID unworkable. Voting laws should reflect the local issues, e.g. some countries have made illegal to sign a ballot paper, others have a link on the ballot, albeit one that can only be connected under limited circumstances to the voter, etc.

That all said I think it is insane to call voting ID laws racist, they aren't in so far as they are intended to suppress the vote that is an intention against all poorer citizens, and in so far as they are a response to a perceived threat they are logical if the threat is deemed to be large.

Head in the sand liberal does not look at reality. In several places the dead vote. They just come out of their grave and go to the polls. Other people vote many times at different polling places and they really were not there at that time. More votes are in the ballot box than came to the polls. But according to you this is rare. So why do we hear about lots of these things every 2 years.

Political poop up wrot"I hate niqgers".

We know, colostomy bag, we know.

Obama is a detestable president. He is taking us to horrible economic ruin. So since I totally disagree with Obama I bet that makes me a racist.

Head in the sand liberal does not look at reality. In several places the dead vote. They just come out of their grave and go to the polls. Other people vote many times at different polling places and they really were not there at that time. More votes are in the ballot box than came to the polls. But according to you this is rare. So why do we hear about lots of these things every 2 years.

Electoral fraud is rare anyway, but is nearly all conducted over absentee votes. Try finding out how many cases were found at the last election http://votingrights.news21.com/interactive/election-fraud-database/ In total ~ 2,000 cases (including those not convicted) since 2001 including 10 cases of voter impersonation.

Now I understand that not everyone will have been caught but if only 10% of cases are caught then that is still 100 cases. The biggest issue by far is Absentee Ballot fraud. there are a fair number of cases of non citizens voting but that can be tackled by a better registration process that makes it harder for someone to end up on the electoral register that isn't a citizen.

So the obvious question is, why the concentration of voter ID when it would only tackle to rarest form of voter fraud.

Plus it boils down to a numbers game, anything that makes it harder to vote will deter some people, legally entitled to, from voting. What do you consider to be an acceptable number of legitimate votes not cost to prevent one fraudulent vote?

Electoral fraud is rare anyway, but is nearly all conducted over absentee votes. Try finding out how many cases were found at the last election http://votingrights.news21.com/interactive/election-fraud-database/ In total ~ 2,000 cases (including those not convicted) since 2001 including 10 cases of voter impersonation.

Now I understand that not everyone will have been caught but if only 10% of cases are caught then that is still 100 cases. The biggest issue by far is Absentee Ballot fraud. there are a fair number of cases of non citizens voting but that can be tackled by a better registration process that makes it harder for someone to end up on the electoral register that isn't a citizen.

So the obvious question is, why the concentration of voter ID when it would only tackle to rarest form of voter fraud.

Plus it boils down to a numbers game, anything that makes it harder to vote will deter some people, legally entitled to, from voting. What do you consider to be an acceptable number of legitimate votes not cost to prevent one fraudulent vote?

What u wanna bet the people who don't have a I.d .. don't give a toot about voting...

So you think voter ID requirements won't stop a single person from voting legitimately? That seems like an extraordinary statement.

Look I have no great care in this either way, some countries have voter ID (e.g. France, Holland and Germany) some don't (e.g. the UK, Denmark and Australia), but nowhere outside America does it seem to stir up such great passion. More than anything else that is what I want to understand.

Mostly the divide is, if there is a requirement to carry ID then it is required to vote but that is only a guideline.