Been busy being a parent and stuff. Posting in both forums was too much, so I migrated completely to the other one, simply because the debates were more interesting. Since it went down, just haven't bothered, but the grapevine let me know this thread was here. So, maybe I'm back.

Depends on whether the newbies are interesting around here.

Been busy being a parent and stuff. Posting in both forums was too much, so I migrated completely to the other one, simply because the debates were more interesting. Since it went down, just haven't bothered, but the grapevine let me know this thread was here. So, maybe I'm back.

Depends on whether the newbies are interesting around here.

not much is interesting here anymore. the place got DoS attacked a few times so most stopped coming.

Just checking in.

So gomi, are you raising your kids in a "gender neutral" way as much as possible? (Not a joke question, but I'm skeptical if it works mainly because gender divisions are ubiquitous in American society...i.e. the moment they come into contact with people or ideas from the "outer world," all bets are off)

As for me,

1) I am busy being the anti-capitalist warrior who types angry words and sparks flamebait.

2) I've discovered my sexuality after a few, agonizing years. Now I can put the pieces into the puzzle.

In other words, business as usual...mostly.

@ lewstherin

DDos is freedom of speech. I have no problem with it at all, especially when hacktivists do the same for certain (government-affiliated) websites, which I won't name in case the FBI/CIA are secretly monitoring what I type. (Unlikely, but you never know)

Anyways, I'll type a gem once every few weeks.

Just checking in.

So gomi, are you raising your kids in a "gender neutral" way as much as possible? (Not a joke question)

As for me, I am busy being the anti-capitalist warrior who types angry words. In other words, business as usual.

none of my business how gomi raises his kid....but why do you ask that? would you raise a little boy to be a girl?

I asked Gomi because we discussed this topic back "at the other place," after news that Sweden introduced a "gender neutral" pronoun.

WiseGuy was diametrically opposed to gender neutral child raising, while I'm skeptical that it works (even though I have nothing against it). I wanted to ask him if his views have changed because he shares roughly the same outlook. I don't have time to debate anything right now.

Just checking in.

So gomi, are you raising your kids in a "gender neutral" way as much as possible? (Not a joke question, but I'm skeptical if it works mainly because gender divisions are ubiquitous in American society...i.e. the moment they come into contact with people or ideas from the "outer world," all bets are off)

I have a son and a daughter. They're a boy and a girl, not gender neutral.

But I make sure to read my son some books with female protagonists. And I try to avoid the pink/purple universe with my daughter.

One of the big things for me, right now, is Lego. Lego used to be a gender neutral toy. It was actually originally marketed as a family activity, but even in the early '80s, its ads showed both boys and girls building. But in the '80s, largely with the "Zack the Lego Maniac" ad campaign, Lego started focusing almost solely on boys. Now, in order to attract girls back to Lego, they've introduced "Lego Friends," which is deeply flawed.

Thing is, early play with blocks, as a toy of spatial cognition, is strongly linked to later ability in higher mathematics. You might remember my degree is theoretical mathematics, so while my kids don't have to be mathematicians, I do want them to have some skill in that area. And my daughter is showing early signs of high spatial and visual skill.

So, I'm afraid that the highly gendered marketing of Lego will turn my daughter off from enjoying them. Which might hinder that benefit in math later in life.

The pink/purple things is part of that. I'm afraid that constantly surrounding my daughter in these colors will encourage her attraction to "girly" things when she's a little older. Which will steer her towards homemaking toys, and away from the "boy" toys that encourage proto-STEM skills. Seriously, walk through a toy store these days. Girl toys are all pink and purple and are all dolls, play kitchens and play vacuums. It's bull-pucky.

This is the gender stuff that pisses me off now, as a father.

As for me,

1) I am busy being the anti-capitalist warrior who types angry words and sparks flamebait.

2) I've discovered my sexuality after a few, agonizing years. Now I can put the pieces into the puzzle.

In other words, business as usual...mostly.

Good luck with both 1 and 2.

DDos is freedom of speech. I have no problem with it at all, especially when hacktivists do the same for certain (government-affiliated) websites, which I won't name in case the FBI/CIA are secretly monitoring what I type. (Unlikely, but you never know)

They aren't speech. Shutting down someone else's site isn't "speech."

However, like other forms of protest, such actions can be justified.

i've never heard of "lego friends" until you mentioned it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21097226?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227015254799&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40600855030&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=38854486990&veh=sem

seriously? jesus

"game of the year" award too...idiots

i used to play with legos from ages 7-10 and i never thought of it as something oriented or geared toward one gender or another, but now it makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...