Nelson Mandela, 1918 - 2013

TheOldBarn

We all have profound respect for this giant of a human being. 95 years old he was. Man I thought to myself the other day, how could someone be that resilient?

If you think about apartheid back then, well, it's amazing it wasn't a blood bath in the end, we all know that. It was of course filled with torture and injustices beyond belief but somehow this guy had the ability to see the future. First as a peaceful protester and then in the ANC.

1918 boys and girls. That was a long time ago. Thinking not just about things in SA but also here in the States, a lot of things have changed for the better. But not without a lot of sacrifice. Mandela was a middle aged man when he went to prison for life age 44. Think about that. He wasn't let out as a free man until he was 71 --- a ripe age for retirement even for the most industrial of human beings who maybe lived a decent life compared to what he went through.

It's hard to get straight the more you think about what he went through and how his views were never changed by haters, even the very people who did all those awful things found respect for him --- of course, they had no choice in the end.

I had no idea who Mandela was back in the sixties when I was a kid, nor did I know anything about apartheid in SA. I only found out about him later in the eighties when the US black caucus was finally able to push through a divestment campaign in an effort to stop apartheid.

There's a whole lot of stuff I didn't know...

http://www.morethanjustagame.co.za/soccer.html

Mandela is one persons life that could be discussed in the media for a long long time, and should be, as there is so much to know about this amazing man. Along with him there are a whole host of folks we still know too little about.

Peace!

We all have profound respect for this giant of a human being. 95 years old he was. Man I thought to myself the other day, how could someone be that resilient?

If you think about apartheid back then, well, it's amazing it wasn't a blood bath in the end, we all know that. It was of course filled with torture and injustices beyond belief but somehow this guy had the ability to see the future. First as a peaceful protester and then in the ANC.

1918 boys and girls. That was a long time ago. Thinking not just about things in SA but also here in the States, a lot of things have changed for the better. But not without a lot of sacrifice. Mandela was a middle aged man when he went to prison for life age 44. Think about that. He wasn't let out as a free man until he was 71 --- a ripe age for retirement even for the most industrial of human beings who maybe lived a decent life compared to what he went through.

It's hard to get straight the more you think about what he went through and how his views were never changed by haters, even the very people who did all those awful things found respect for him --- of course, they had no choice in the end.

I had no idea who Mandela was back in the sixties when I was a kid, nor did I know anything about apartheid in SA. I only found out about him later in the eighties when the US black caucus was finally able to push through a divestment campaign in an effort to stop apartheid.

There's a whole lot of stuff I didn't know...

http://www.morethanjustagame.co.za/soccer.html

Mandela is one persons life that could be discussed in the media for a long long time, and should be, as there is so much to know about this amazing man. Along with him there are a whole host of folks we still know too little about.

Peace!

Thank you. So refreshing to see an intelligent person on this forum :)

• 4 weeks later...

Mandela was a hero, and he really showed them who's boss. How can you call that fair when you have a group of racist White supremacists in charge who make black people in their own country into second class citizens? Anyone who puts an end to such an injustice is a hero.

Mandela was a hero, and he really showed them who's boss. How can you call that fair when you have a group of racist White supremacists in charge who make black people in their own country into second class citizens? Anyone who puts an end to such an injustice is a hero.

He may be your hero but if you were white and lived in SA you were his enemy and probably paid with your life. Mandela was the black Hitler and Winnie was Dr. Mengele.