Some Help Please?

campdog7

I'm new to this site and having trouble figuring out the controls. I've decided to stick around for a bit and if anyone could instruct me on any of the following questions I'd be grateful. Perhaps someone else would benefit as well.

1. Every image I have tried to use results in a message saying it's too big. Do you have to modify an image in some way to get it to upload? Why does the site ask for a url for an image if they are all similarly too large?
  2. Along the same lines what is the Gallery? I have had similar disappointing results there.
  3. How are people embedding pictures in their posts?
  4. How are people embedding youtube videos in their posts?
  5. Why does this site keep opening the email account I submitted, sometimes on multiple pages? Is there a setting I can change to prevent this?
  6. What does 'Allow members to leave comments on my profile' mean? Can anyone who wishes post smears such as I've seen in some of the posts?
  7. What would be the advantage/disadvantage of accepting a 'friend' request?
  8. Is there a list of 'bad' words for this site? I notice pe*p~e keep writing stuff like t#is.
  9. How can I educate myself about any of the above?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

I share many of Campdog7’s questions.

Question #5 is of immediate concern. I may be forced to resign from America’s political chat room if the group continues to stuffing my Email’s inbox with posts from topics I never previously posted to.

I expect only one single notice regarding posts to a topic I’ve previously subscribed to. My subscription can be explicitly requested or indicated by my posting to that specific topic. There should be no additional notices regarding that topic until I’ve again posted to that specific topic.

I don’t understand how all records of the topics I was subscribed to have been lost by the groups, but that’s a secondary problem.

If I can still remain a member of the group, (i.e. if these excess messages from the group which are effectively Spam does cease), I’ll have to hopefully find some copies or related notes or successfully search for my previous posts or subscribed topics. If I cannot find those previous topics I hope to reinitialize some of those topics.

Respectfully, Supposn

I'm new to this site and having trouble figuring out the controls. I've decided to stick around for a bit and if anyone could instruct me on any of the following questions I'd be grateful. Perhaps someone else would benefit as well.

• Every image I have tried to use results in a message saying it's too big. Do you have to modify an image in some way to get it to upload? Why does the site ask for a url for an image if they are all similarly too large?
  • Misty: I assume you are talking about your avatar image. I just uploaded one that was 435 by 580 and it worked. I'm not sure how big the image is that you are trying to use, but you can make it smaller at Tinypic.com, or if you post the URL for it, I can do it for you.
  • Along the same lines what is the Gallery? I have had similar disappointing results there.
  • Misty: That is a new feature that was just added, and I'm not sure if it has even been enabled. You can send Chuck the administrator a PM and ask him about that.
  • How are people embedding pictures in their posts?
  • Misty: I upload my pics to Tinypic.com and get an image code for forums, or you can put the URL into image codes like this:

161yez7.jpg

• How are people embedding youtube videos in their posts?
  • Misty: Same as images except you type 'media' instead of 'img' inside the brackets.

2n1ygza.jpg

• Why does this site keep opening the email account I submitted, sometimes on multiple pages? Is there a setting I can change to prevent this?
  • Misty: Click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the page and click on 'My Settings' in the drop down list.Click on 'Notification Options' and see how your notification preferences are set. If you still have a problem you should PM Chuck about that too.
  • What does 'Allow members to leave comments on my profile' mean? Can anyone who wishes post smears such as I've seen in some of the posts?
  • Misty: If you click on your name in the upper right hand corner, it brings down a drop down list. Click on 'My Profile' then 'Profile Feed' and there is a place where people can leave you a comment.

I believe you have the option to delete any comments you don't like.

• What would be the advantage/disadvantage of accepting a 'friend' request?
  • Misty: It's mostly symbolic. LOL
  • Is there a list of 'bad' words for this site? I notice pe*p~e keep writing stuff like t#is.
  • Misty: Yes there are certain words that are banned. I'm not sure what all of them are, but if you see 'banned word' in one of your posts, you will know you used one of them.
  • How can I educate myself about any of the above?
  • Misty: There is a help page....http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?app=core&module=help or you can PM any members of the Moderating team, and I'm sure they will help you.
  • Thanks in advance for your assistance
  • Misty: You're welcome.

I share many of Campdog7s questions.

Question #5 is of immediate concern. I may be forced to resign from Americas political chat room if the group continues to stuffing my Emails inbox with posts from topics I never previously posted to.

Click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the page and click on 'My Settings' in the drop down list.

Then click on 'Notification Options' and see how your notification preferences are set.