HealthCare.gov Simple Fix - Occam's Razor

JerryAL

"Allow the direct purchase of subsidized health insurance plans through the health insurers own websites."

Source cited: HealthCare.gov Plan B Fix

This simple action would open the flood gates to the new health insurance plans that are currently being blocked because of the HealthCare.gov website problems.

Pretty basic and common sense.

And even more basic and common sense would be to have no government involvement at all and simply allow a free market to exist for a change. We don't need a government "exchange" to buy a TV or a computer, so why the hell should we need one for health insurance? Do you morons really think that people who want to buy insurance and companies that want to sell it won't be able to get in touch with each other without government? Lol...

"Allow the direct purchase of subsidized health insurance plans through the health insurers own websites."

Source cited: HealthCare.gov Plan B Fix

This simple action would open the flood gates to the new health insurance plans that are currently being blocked because of the HealthCare.gov website problems.

Look up the definition of Occam's razor.

And even more basic and common sense would be to have no government involvement at all and simply allow a free market to exist for a change. We don't need a government "exchange" to buy a TV or a computer, so why the hell should we need one for health insurance? Do you morons really think that people who want to buy insurance and companies that want to sell it won't be able to get in touch with each other without government? Lol...

Without the federal government's involvement there is no way to provide near universal coverage to all citizens. The states simply do not have the financial resources on their own to accomplish it.

Also, without strong federal insurance regulations, such as the individual mandate which allows pre-existing to be covered, you can not provide near universal health care access to all American citizens.

Are you really saying that you want to go back to a system that allows health insurance companies to discriminate against sick Americans?

Do you really think that you or someone that you care about is never going to become sick?

So the engineering theory, from 150 years ago, holds true: " The mark of great ( elegant ) engineering, is to produce the desired effect as simply as possible".

Without the federal government's involvement there is no way to provide near universal coverage to all citizens. The states simply do not have the financial resources on their own to accomplish it.

Also, without strong federal insurance regulations, such as the individual mandate which allows pre-existing to be covered, you can not provide near universal health care access to all American citizens.

Are you really saying that you want to go back to a system that allows health insurance companies to discriminate against sick Americans?

Do you really think that you or someone that you care about is never going to become sick?

Out of pure curiosity: Where is the federal government getting the money???

They should have let the Federal employees health insurance system set up their website. A girlfriend of mine who works for the government was showing me their system recently. It works fantastically and allows Federal employees to review & sign up for any one of dozens of different insurance plan. She says they've had this system for quite a few years now and never a glitch.

Here is a link to it: http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/

They should have let the Federal employees health insurance system set up their website. A girlfriend of mine who works for the government was showing me their system recently. It works fantastically and allows Federal employees to review & sign up for any one of dozens of different insurance plan. She says they've had this system for quite a few years now and never a glitch.

Hate to tell her she's gonna be moved to the federal exchange.

So, this begs a few questions:

1) How do you know which insurance companies are participating?

2) How do you compare those companies?

3) How do these companies know what your subsidy, if any, will be?

Not the same thing. They have the ability to sign up for plans that have already been set up by their employer.

That's nothing like an individual looking at the plans of multiple companies and multiple plans for each company, and then selecting a plan.

BTW, if you want insurance by January 1, you better get busy. In order to meet this deadline, you have to actually submit payment for the plan you select by Dec 15. That means selecting your plan, receiving a bill from the insurance company, and sending back your payment.

Just in time for Christmas too.

Without the federal government's involvement there is no way to provide near universal coverage to all citizens.

Sure there is, you have just been brainwashed into thinking that there is no other way by your liberal masters, just like a good little weak-minded sheep.

Sigh... if you allow sick people to sign up for the same price as healthy people, you are no longer even talking about "insurance", you are advocating for "welfare." "Insurance" is supposed to be purchased ***BEFORE*** a person gets sick. If you want to argue that health care "welfare" should be provided to poor people, then why don't you libs try doing it honestly (for a change) by using the correct terminology? When you are calling it "insurance", you are just confusing the issue because what you are proposing has nothing to do with "insurance."

Can one of you tell me why this is so difficult to comprehend? And do you really not see the potential disaster that is going to occur by letting healthy people pay a small fine (or is it a tax?) and just wait until they get sick to actually buy insurance? Really?

While I don't want to "go back" to the old system, considering I just clearly explained that it should be TRULY REFORMED by allowing a free market, but I do indeed want insurance companies to be able to "discriminate" (as you call it) as much as they damn well please. That is how insurance (of any type) is supposed to work- the insurance companies are supposed to determine premium prices based on the perceived risk.

Of course this could happen. Duh. When did I ever imply otherwise? And that is why I and the people I care about purchase insurance, WHILE WE ARE STILL HEALTHY.

Not the same thing. They have the ability to sign up for plans that have already been set up by their employer.

That's nothing like an individual looking at the plans of multiple companies and multiple plans for each company, and then selecting a plan.

Well, from talking to her and my own review from the site there are, in fact, mutiple companies and multiple plans for each company. I also learned most of the insurance coverage requirements mandated by the ACA came straight from the requirements that have been mandated for the federal employee plans for quite some time.

Did you look at it? See here ... just in Arizona they have two Blue Cross plan options --- GEHA has two plans --- MHBP has three different plan options (I admit I haven't heard of some of these companies - GEHA? MHBP? ) ---- then if you go down to the bottom of the page you see several HMO & high deduct plans from Aetna & Humana. Take a look: http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/plan-information/plan-codes/2014/states/az.asp

My point is .. they should have let this OPM set up ACA exhange websites that HHS had to set up in certain States .. since they've already proven they can do this. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. Who set up & operates this OPM website? (OPM apparently stands for Office Of Personnel Management) I wonder if it's government people or contractors that did/do the website work.?

BTW, if you want insurance by January 1, you better get busy. In order to meet this deadline, you have to actually submit payment for the plan you select by Dec 15. That means selecting your plan, receiving a bill from the insurance company, and sending back your payment.

Just in time for Christmas too.

We have very good insurance from my husband's company already, thank you. He already looked into it and there's no significant changes for us except the premium went up just a little bit ---- but it does that every year.

Finally, they are learning:

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters the government was also moving forward to develop "additional channels" for signing up, including "direct enrollment" through insurance companies.

Finally, they are learning:

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters the government was also moving forward to develop "additional channels" for signing up, including "direct enrollment" through insurance companies.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it will all collapse along with the entire health insurance industry so we can get on to nationalized health care.

The ACA is a corporate and Republican conceived plan anyway ... no wonder it's not working.

With regard to the Federal Employees insurance website, GolfBoy said:

Not the same thing. They have the ability to sign up for plans that have already been set up by their employer. That's nothing like an individual looking at the plans of multiple companies and multiple plans for each company, and then selecting a plan.

And I said:

Well, from talking to her and my own review from the site there are, in fact, mutiple companies and multiple plans for each company. I also learned most of the insurance coverage requirements mandated by the ACA came straight from the requirements that have been mandated for the federal employee plans for quite some time.

Did you look at it? See here ... just in Arizona they have two Blue Cross plan options --- GEHA has two plans --- MHBP has three different plan options (I admit I haven't heard of some of these companies - GEHA? MHBP? ) ---- then if you go down to the bottom of the page you see several HMO & high deduct plans from Aetna & Humana. Take a look: http://www.opm.gov/h...4/states/az.asp

My point is .. they should have let this OPM set up ACA exhange websites that HHS had to set up in certain States .. since they've already proven they can do this. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. Who set up & operates this OPM website? (OPM apparently stands for Office Of Personnel Management) I wonder if it's government people or contractors that did/do the website work.?

So ---- did you get a chance to review the Federal Employee website, Mister Golf? Do you agree it might have been better for the government to have used the same model & contractors or government employees to set up a similar site for the Affordable Care Act exchanges - especially given the proven success of this one?

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed it will all collapse along with the entire health insurance industry so we can get on to nationalized health care.

The ACA is a corporate and Republican conceived plan anyway ... no wonder it's not working.

It's Obamacare...conceived by the Dems, voted by all Dems...don't try and shovel your siganture piece of crap on Republicans...You worthless liber's are all the same...never take responsibility for your own f ing messes you cause.

Now if you would also give citizens the option of placing a small percentage of their SS funds into the same type of low risk federal employees retirement funds you would really be on to something.

I have heard that idea somewhere before.