China's One Child Policy--- A lesson to be learned

TheOldBarn

The other day speaking to someone from Corporate where I work, he described going to China a few years back when we decided to build a manufacturing plant there --- "there were nothing but very poor peasant farmers, I even saw a water buffalo" he said, about the first time he was there.

Now, all the poor peasant farmers are nowhere to be found...

China moves like that. One billion plus, China instituted a one child policy back in 1979. All the forced abortions, infanticides, and unknown human injustices created something no one can really fully

measure. Just like forced labor camps are seldom discussed officially by the Chinese government,

descent there, certainly cannot be forgotten by many.

The fact of the matter is, you need people to be informed - I'm kind of anarchist now. The reason being, we don't inform our own people enough here at home. Instead, people are force fed lies.

The question being, who can you trust?

I think of the Octo-mom in the U.S., the obvious twist to her becoming a celebrity in the news, and outpouring of both disgust as well as support.

Or, recently I heard of the restaurant patron who left a biblical message instead of a tip for their waiter.

In it, they stated how they could not support a such and such lifestyle, not even knowing the real person who waited on them.

And of course, I think of the immensely long list of African Americans, through no fault of their own, and only because of the color of their skin, faced even worse, and on a daily basis...

What China did with their one child policy is horrendous, to say the least.

In some ways we imitate them, or perhaps, they imitated us?

I find myself being more and more, an anarchist because, there's a problem in the structure of government, in politics as a whole. The money, the greed - it's the hierarchy - the power that always corrupts. I still have faith in people, and yes, democracy, but we need an informed citizenry.

You know, something with real scrubbing power that can really deal with all stains of abuse left behind after

the power vacuum sucked up all it could suck.

Peace!

Why is US citizenry often so ill informed?

To be well informed, one needs critical thinking skills... an ability to distinguish the forest from the trees. In the end we choose our own media. Those who want to be misinformed will seek out demagogues. Those who want the best possible grasp on reality usually integrate information from a variety of sources, carefully chosen. The followers of demagogues tend to have mostly fixed opinions whereas those who need evidence tend to adjust their views based on changing conditions and newly uncovered facts.

There will always be demagogues and their devotees. It seems to me that those with strictly faith-based backgrounds are often more vulnerable to giving their loyalty to attractive personalities often to the exclusion of reality.

We need better education for ordinary people in order to avoid policy disasters like those in China and other places. But current trends are just the opposite.

yeah, the one-child policy was very unpopular. But I'm not that worked-up about it. The Chinese govt did what it thought was best.

the country is over-populated.

sometimes you can't see the ramifications of a policy till it's been implemented.

So now the new generation that grew up under the 1 child policy is in power and the resentment they had is coming home to roost.

They say the policy caused a glut of males over females, but that's the fault of the patriarchal society.

They say it caused a shortfall of workers, but I'm not convinced.

Maybe they should do what they're doing now...a 2 child policy...but a family having 4 or 5 kids in a country of 1.7 billion is crazy.

China wants stability and a higher standard of living. In countries that have a high education and standard of living, the defining characteristic that goes with it is low birth rates.

yeah, the one-child policy was very unpopular. But I'm not that worked-up about it. The Chinese govt did what it thought was best.

sometimes you can't see the ramifications of a policy till it's been implemented.

So now the new generation that grew up under the 1 child policy is in power and the resentment they had is coming home to roost.

They say the policy caused a glut of males over females, but that's the fault of the patriarchal society.

Maybe they should do what they're doing now...a 2 child policy...but a family having 4 or 5 kids in a country of 1.7 billion is crazy.

Yes, China was facing overpopulation disaster. There was only one way.

China wants stability and a higher standard of living. In countries that have a high education and standard of living, the defining characteristic that goes with it is low birth rates.

This is true but China is a long way from achieving a higher standard of living for most of its people. While there is a growing affluent class, the majority still live in abject poverty by first world standards. China has the conundrum that if it pushes for higher pay for its workers, foreign industrialists will look elsewhere for cheap labor.

i,m unconvinced that the majority of the populace lives in abject poverty. The last documentary i saw depicted the average worker making $3-$4 an hr., that's not bad in an economy where goods & services are much cheaper than here, and i know that several large companies incl. car co's are opening factories here because it's actually cheaper due to the rising wages in China.

That suprised me.

So now, Americans don't have to decipher mangled english owners manuals that were translated by babelfish.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at it as an engineer might, China had to deal with it's over population - we in the US do not and can not fathom what they have to deal with, this for sure. I read once that China has some of the most gifted bureaucrats in that they are highly educated and all work together towards solving huge problems.

However, given the best and most truthful information about the population, which obviously is hard for us in the US to do, we could never say that people would have downsized population growth by their own free will. China didn't work that way with Mao, and it just is too vast perhaps. Understanding of course that families need workers on the farm, etc... you maybe right when you suggest there was no better way.

We live in a world we in the U.S. don't know much about. The poverty many countries is daunting to imagine ever overcoming - I'm thinking India especially. We are very lucky here in the U.S. yet we find somehow find ways to do ourselves in.

Oh, I'm also thinking about climate change and the very near calamity it seems will inevitably bring. We are so behind in what we should be doing here. The political mantra is, why should we invest when China by force of its own economic landscape must continue to grow and possibly outdo any change we can make. Again, I'm in California where we do more to create clean energy than anyone. Yet, the reductions California makes in fossil fuel use in one year is undone in one week by China's growth.

The promise here is information and democracy - real democracy that is informed. China would go green if they could but they have decisions that are so much more dramatic that we do. We have the talent and all the fundamentals, but we're just spinning our wheels.

As far as being informed, you do need to have a critical mind, no question about it. There lives excellent journalism. The elephant in the room really is horrible politics overrun by money acting only in it's own best interest.

The hope is that we can soon find a way to find enough good people to stand up together. I have this hope!

Peace!

I needed to edit my post, but I did so a couple of times and couldn't fix it the way I wanted to - my own mistake. However, I would like to share this - it's a wonderful article I read recently...

Read a good article in Wired - http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/11/chris-hadfield-wired/ really well written and truthful, you should give it a read. It's side tracking the main post, but we miss the reason to exist too much in the U.S. It's not just about personal self improvement so you can make money for yourself, and maybe yours. There's so much we could be doing as a nation but aren't.

Peace!