Insurers after Meeting With Obama: Won't Work

Golfboy

The the Insurance companies that were summoned to the White House to hear the President tell them how to run their business, come out afterward and say the President clearly doesn't understand how to run a business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/business/after-meeting-health-insurers-question-proposals-workability.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0&pagewanted=all

A day after they were caught off guard by President Obamas proposal to prevent cancellation of insurance policies for millions of Americans, top executives of some of the biggest insurance companies emerged from a meeting at the White House on Friday, expressing mixed feelings about whether the idea could work in every state.

The hastily called meeting was an attempt by the White House to address the growing frustration of the nations insurers over the administrations fumbling of the health care law. It came just a day after the president announced on television that insurers could now continue coverage for people whose policies were being canceled because they did not meet the new laws standards.

The cancellations had left the president vulnerable to assertions that he had gone back on an often-repeated promise that consumers could keep their current plans if they were happy with them.

Mr. Obama met with chief executives from more than a dozen of the nations largest companies in the Roosevelt Room for more than an hour in a session that insurers said was wide-ranging. Other issues discussed included a suggestion being floated by some in the insurance industry that they be allowed to enroll people directly, rather than through HealthCare.gov, the governments troubled website. But the insurers said the president had agreed that fixing the sites remaining problems was a critical priority.

The insurers, many of whom expressed anger that the president had not consulted them before Thursdays announcement, said they had come away from the meeting willing to work with the White House on the cancellation issue and still protect the financial viability of the new insurance marketplaces. They did not discuss in detail how the presidents goal might be achieved.

At the meeting, insurers emphasized their concerns that the presidents proposal could actually lead to higher insurance prices in 2015 and beyond by skewing the mix of customers in the new insurance marketplace. In other words, people who now have cheaper insurance because their plans have fewer benefits may still choose to keep them, rather than buying the new policies. Generally, those people are thought to be younger and healthier.

So, now that you concede it's going to be impossible to allow the insurance companies to continue bilking their customers with crappy policies, as Republicans want, does that mean you'll shut up about that privelege being taken away from them?

So, now that you concede it's going to be impossible to allow the insurance companies to continue bilking their customers with crappy policies, as Republicans want, does that mean you'll shut up about that privelege being taken away from them?

If the insurance companies were truly "bilking their customers with crappy policies", then couldn't those customers simply have fired them and voluntarily bought a much "better" one on the exchange all on their own? Why the hell did the government need to outlaw those "crappy" policies???

If the insurance companies were truly "bilking their customers with crappy policies", then couldn't those customers simply have fired them and voluntarily bought a much "better" one on the exchange all on their own? Why the hell did the government need to outlaw those "crappy" policies???

Exactly. How is paying for coverage you dont want ,dont need, or cant even possibly use not getting bilked? Suddenly every single policy that got cancelled was crappy. If the customers don't complain, then how crappy could they have been? The policies could have been less crappier still had you been able to buy health insurance from out of state like you can every other kind of insurance. We artificially put a limit on our choices. I have no idea what that restriction was all about but that set the stage for what eventually followed. Less competition... costs go up.

You're not too clear on the function of government, I see.

Democrats: Meh, We Won't Be Apologizing to People for Mass Insurance Losses Katie Pavlich | Nov 15, 2013
columnistpavlich.gif
Recommend this article White_Arrow_Recommend_fb.png
5960238b-be51-42ee-ac75-bb9260dd4a62.jpg

Although President Obama deserves the majority of the blame for the disaster known as Obamacare, Democrats who voted for the legislation back in 2010 should also be held accountable for the law's destructive consequences. At the very least, President Obama issued a non-apology apology last week in response to millions of Americans losing their health insurance plans after stating for years that if they liked their plans, they could keep their plans, period. But House Democrats, including former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, aren't interested in doing the same. More from the Weekly Standard:

"I don't think there's anything for us to apologize for," said [Rep.] Clyburn.

"There is nothing in the Affordable Care Act that said that your insurance company should cancel you," said Minority Leader Pelosi.

In fact, the Affordable Care Act says that plans created after March of 2010 must be cancelled, and the law also gave the administration the authority to write regulations that forced the cancellation of some policies that existed prior to March 2010.

"Did I ever tell my constituents that if they liked their plan they could keep it?" Pelosi asked. "I would have if I'd ever met anybody who liked his or her plan. But that was not my experience."

"As far as the Affordable Care Act is concerned, what the president said was completely accurate," Pelosi said.

As a reminder, "We have to pass the law to find out what's in it." Three years later and we've found out that the law makes millions of health insurance plans illegal under Obamacare, something House Democrats knew when they voted for it.

The the Insurance companies that were summoned to the White House to hear the President tell them how to run their business, come out afterward and say the President clearly doesn't understand how to run a business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/business/after-meeting-health-insurers-question-proposals-workability.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0&pagewanted=all

A day after they were caught off guard by President Obamas proposal to prevent cancellation of insurance policies for millions of Americans, top executives of some of the biggest insurance companies emerged from a meeting at the White House on Friday, expressing mixed feelings about whether the idea could work in every state.

The hastily called meeting was an attempt by the White House to address the growing frustration of the nations insurers over the administrations fumbling of the health care law. It came just a day after the president announced on television that insurers could now continue coverage for people whose policies were being canceled because they did not meet the new laws standards.

The cancellations had left the president vulnerable to assertions that he had gone back on an often-repeated promise that consumers could keep their current plans if they were happy with them.

Mr. Obama met with chief executives from more than a dozen of the nations largest companies in the Roosevelt Room for more than an hour in a session that insurers said was wide-ranging. Other issues discussed included a suggestion being floated by some in the insurance industry that they be allowed to enroll people directly, rather than through HealthCare.gov, the governments troubled website. But the insurers said the president had agreed that fixing the sites remaining problems was a critical priority.

The insurers, many of whom expressed anger that the president had not consulted them before Thursdays announcement, said they had come away from the meeting willing to work with the White House on the cancellation issue and still protect the financial viability of the new insurance marketplaces. They did not discuss in detail how the presidents goal might be achieved.

At the meeting, insurers emphasized their concerns that the presidents proposal could actually lead to higher insurance prices in 2015 and beyond by skewing the mix of customers in the new insurance marketplace. In other words, people who now have cheaper insurance because their plans have fewer benefits may still choose to keep them, rather than buying the new policies. Generally, those people are thought to be younger and healthier.

Good, then we can go with the public option! Fu-k these insurance corps.

Medicare fraud is one of the reasons why they're so upset. For years, Medical supply companies have been billing for supplies and services that just weren't needed.

You're not too clear on the function of government, I see.

Actually, I am the only one between us that understands the CORRECT function of government.

But if you think otherwise, let's see you try to explain it to me. Good luck.

Medicare fraud is one of the reasons why they're so upset. For years, Medical supply companies have been billing for supplies and services that just weren't needed.

Right, the government is very easy to defraud because it is NOT THEIR MONEY that is being lost. Any idiot should understand that no one is as careful with someone else's money as they are their own. So why in the holy hell do you imbeciles want the government in charge of MORE areas of our economy? Are you all just that retarded? Are we not going bankrupt fast enough for you lunatics?

Right, the government is very easy to defraud because it is NOT THEIR MONEY that is being lost. Any idiot should understand that no one is as careful with someone else's money as they are their own. So why in the holy hell do you imbeciles want the government in charge of MORE areas of our economy? Are you all just that retarded? Are we not going bankrupt fast enough for you lunatics?

I gave up a long time ago. When Reagan spent like a drunk sailor, It was "All-Hail-Reagan." Now, The fiscal conservatives FINALLY come out of the woodwork to declare how dangerous it is for the government to spend money recklessly.

I say its way too late.

I gave up a long time ago. When Reagan spent like a drunk sailor, It was "All-Hail-Reagan." Now, The fiscal conservatives FINALLY come out of the woodwork to declare how dangerous it is for the government to spend money recklessly.

I say its way too late.

If someone applauded big government spending, then that person was not really a "fiscal conservative" in the first place, by definition.

And why are you talking to me about what other people are supposedly doing or not doing in an attempt to prove me wrong? If you have evidence of me ever saying "All-Hail-Reagan", then post it. Good luck.

If someone applauded big government spending, then that person was not really a "fiscal conservative" in the first place, by definition.

And why are you talking to me about what other people are supposedly doing or not doing in an attempt to prove me wrong? If you have evidence of me ever saying "All-Hail-Reagan", then post it. Good luck.

I'm stating my position. I've always wanted a fiscally conservative government, but Reagan proved that Republicans are no longer that party. So when Democrats are in the Whitehouse, It's all about government spending again. I get tired of the faux fiscals coming out only when a Democrat is elected.

Yea, damn guvmint! eee-gadz! I miss my lead filled paint and furry spam and what the hell is wrong with playing catch with huge darts on the lawn? Suicide should be legal, in fact, it should be encouraged god damn it!!!

I'm stating my position. I've always wanted a fiscally conservative government, but Reagan proved that Republicans are no longer that party. So when Democrats are in the Whitehouse, It's all about government spending again. I get tired of the faux fiscals coming out only when a Democrat is elected.

The RINO's that have infested the party may resulted in the Republican party not have been the fiscally conservative party they should be, but their spending, as massive as it has been, is minuscule compared to what obama and his cronies have been doing. Obama makes Bush look like a rank amateur when it comes to spending-

deficit06061_big1.gif

So why in the hell, if you hate the big deficits of the Republicans, would you support obama and the rest of his democrat ilk when they are far, far, far, far, far worse?

Insurance companies have been behind Obamacare all along. They practically wrote the bill and are the ones in line to benefit most from it. I'm not surprised to hear they are pissed off because some insurers may get to keep cheaper plans.

Fuck them.

Makes me want a single payer option even more. Make the bastards have to compete with the not for profit government and see how quickly their rates come down.

Yea, damn guvmint! eee-gadz! I miss my lead filled paint and furry spam and what the hell is wrong with playing catch with huge darts on the lawn? Suicide should be legal, in fact, it should be encouraged god damn it!!!

Not sure what any of that gibberish has to do with my position in this thread.

And do you morons really think the that the government is the only entity that can determine if products are safe? Why don't you try looking on the bottom of your toaster or the cord to a hair dryer and tell me what two letters you see? Then you can go to google and look up what those 2 letters stand for, and come back and tell me what you have learned. Good luck.

Actually, I am the only one between us that understands the CORRECT function of government.

But if you think otherwise, let's see you try to explain it to me. Good luck.

You claim to understand the true function of government, it behooves you, not me, to support your claim.

You claim to understand the true function of government, it behooves you, not me, to support your claim.

You were the first one to claim that I did not understand it, instead of answering the amazingly simple question I posed to you. So let's see you explain it. Good luck.

Or you can just admit that your claim in post# 3 was retarded and we can move on. Your choice.

The RINO's that have infested the party may resulted in the Republican party not have been the fiscally conservative party they should be, but their spending, as massive as it has been, is minuscule compared to what obama and his cronies have been doing. Obama makes Bush look like a rank amateur when it comes to spending-

deficit06061_big1.gif

So why in the hell, if you hate the big deficits of the Republicans, would you support obama and the rest of his democrat ilk when they are far, far, far, far, far worse?

You DO realize that the chart you offered shows DEFICITS, not spending...yes?

Further, you DO realize that Federal spending has DECLINED both in dollars and as percent of GDP the past two years, yes?

deficit06061_big1.gif

According to your own graph, the spending spike was started under Bush's administration.

You were the first one to claim that I did not understand it, instead of answering the amazingly simple question I posed to you. So let's see you explain it. Good luck.

Or you can just admit that your claim in post# 3 was retarded and we can move on. Your choice.

"Nothing", then - thanks for clarifying.

Knew you were full of it, kind of you to prove it.

Insurance companies have been behind Obamacare all along. They practically wrote the bill and are the ones in line to benefit most from it. I'm not surprised to hear they are pissed off because some insurers may get to keep cheaper plans.

Fuck them.

Makes me want a single payer option even more. Make the bastards have to compete with the not for profit government and see how quickly their rates come down.

You're an idiot - keep bending over for the failure.