Homeowner In Detroit Porch Shooting To Face Murder Charges

skews13

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/15/21476808-homeowner-in-renisha-mcbrides-killing-to-face-murder-charges?lite

A home owner will be charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of an unarmed woman on a suburban Detroit porch earlier this month.

Renisha McBride, 19, was killed on Nov. 2 in Dearborn Heights, Mich., when she went to a man's porch seeking help after a car crash, according to police.

Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy announced three charges against the homeowner — 54-year-old Theodore Paul Wafer — on Friday, the most serious of which was murder in the second degree.

Wafer was not yet in custody and will be asked by prosecutors to turn himself in. He is expected to be arraigned at 2 p.m.

"These are the appropriate charges and he did not act in lawful self-defense," Worthy said.

Wayne County, Michigan prosecutors announced homicide charges against a man accused of shooting a woman in the face after she knocked on his door looking for help.

Few details about what happened the early morning of McBride's death were released before Friday's news conference. The Wayne County medical examiner's office ruled her death was a homicide, finding she received a fatal shotgun blast to the face, fired from a distance.

Police say McBride crashed a car in nearby Detroit and knocked on the homeowner's door afterwards, looking for assistance. McBride was "bloodied, disoriented and appeared to be confused" after the crash, according to witnesses, Worthy said. The homeowner told police he thought McBride was breaking in; he also said his shotgun went off by accident.

"There is no evidence of forced entry into the home," Worthy told reporters Friday after announcing the charges, which also included manslaughter and firearms possession during the attempted commission of a felony or commission of a felony. "Our evidence shows she knocked on the locked screen door."

The killing of the unarmed McBride, who was black, has prompted questions from her family and protests from civil rights leaders, who believe racial profiling may have played a role. Police had not identified the owner of the home in Dearborn Heights, a predominantly white suburb of Detroit.

Supporters of her family have demonstrated outside the Dearborn Heights police station, calling for authorities to charge the homeowner in her death.

Worthy would not comment on the racial allegations and did not reveal Wafer's race, but a spokesperson for the prosecutor told The Associated Press Wafer is white.

"The charging decision has nothing to do whatsoever with the race of the parties. Whether it becomes relevant later on, I don't know," Worthy said.

Michigan's self-defense law states that residents have no duty to retreat while in their own homes if they have an honest and reasonable belief of imminent death or great bodily harm.

On Thursday, a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office revealed McBride had a high blood alcohol content and marijuana in her system when she died.

McBride's blood alcohol content was .218 percent, nearly three times the legal driving limit of 0.08 percent in the state of Michigan.

Her crash involved a parked vehicle six blocks away, authorities told The Detroit Free Press.

Gerald Thurswell, the McBride family's attorney, said the homeowner called 911 after he shot McBride, and said that police arrived within minutes.

"If he had called 911 when he heard her outside his house, they would have been there within two minutes and she would be alive today," Thurswell said. "Maybe she would have been arrested for being intoxicated, but she would not be dead."

Thurswell said on MSNBC on Friday he doesn't believe that the results of the toxicology report will affect the case.

"If she was intoxicated, and apparently she was .... that gives nobody justification to blow off her head," he said. "She was outside making noise. We don't shoot drunks who are making noise."

The family was pleased with the charges that were announced, he added.

"Their patience paid off because the prosecutor did a thorough and complete investigation," he said.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/15/21476808-homeowner-in-renisha-mcbrides-killing-to-face-murder-charges?lite

A home owner will be charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of an unarmed woman on a suburban Detroit porch earlier this month.

Renisha McBride, 19, was killed on Nov. 2 in Dearborn Heights, Mich., when she went to a man's porch seeking help after a car crash, according to police.

Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy announced three charges against the homeowner — 54-year-old Theodore Paul Wafer — on Friday, the most serious of which was murder in the second degree.

Wafer was not yet in custody and will be asked by prosecutors to turn himself in. He is expected to be arraigned at 2 p.m.

"These are the appropriate charges and he did not act in lawful self-defense," Worthy said.

Wayne County, Michigan prosecutors announced homicide charges against a man accused of shooting a woman in the face after she knocked on his door looking for help.

Few details about what happened the early morning of McBride's death were released before Friday's news conference. The Wayne County medical examiner's office ruled her death was a homicide, finding she received a fatal shotgun blast to the face, fired from a distance.

Police say McBride crashed a car in nearby Detroit and knocked on the homeowner's door afterwards, looking for assistance. McBride was "bloodied, disoriented and appeared to be confused" after the crash, according to witnesses, Worthy said. The homeowner told police he thought McBride was breaking in; he also said his shotgun went off by accident.

"There is no evidence of forced entry into the home," Worthy told reporters Friday after announcing the charges, which also included manslaughter and firearms possession during the attempted commission of a felony or commission of a felony. "Our evidence shows she knocked on the locked screen door."

The killing of the unarmed McBride, who was black, has prompted questions from her family and protests from civil rights leaders, who believe racial profiling may have played a role. Police had not identified the owner of the home in Dearborn Heights, a predominantly white suburb of Detroit.

Supporters of her family have demonstrated outside the Dearborn Heights police station, calling for authorities to charge the homeowner in her death.

Worthy would not comment on the racial allegations and did not reveal Wafer's race, but a spokesperson for the prosecutor told The Associated Press Wafer is white.

"The charging decision has nothing to do whatsoever with the race of the parties. Whether it becomes relevant later on, I don't know," Worthy said.

Michigan's self-defense law states that residents have no duty to retreat while in their own homes if they have an honest and reasonable belief of imminent death or great bodily harm.

On Thursday, a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office revealed McBride had a high blood alcohol content and marijuana in her system when she died.

McBride's blood alcohol content was .218 percent, nearly three times the legal driving limit of 0.08 percent in the state of Michigan.

Her crash involved a parked vehicle six blocks away, authorities told The Detroit Free Press.

Gerald Thurswell, the McBride family's attorney, said the homeowner called 911 after he shot McBride, and said that police arrived within minutes.

"If he had called 911 when he heard her outside his house, they would have been there within two minutes and she would be alive today," Thurswell said. "Maybe she would have been arrested for being intoxicated, but she would not be dead."

Thurswell said on MSNBC on Friday he doesn't believe that the results of the toxicology report will affect the case.

"If she was intoxicated, and apparently she was .... that gives nobody justification to blow off her head," he said. "She was outside making noise. We don't shoot drunks who are making noise."

The family was pleased with the charges that were announced, he added.

"Their patience paid off because the prosecutor did a thorough and complete investigation," he said.

If this would have happened in texas there would be no charge

I say we try the case on the internet. Let's get all invested and make it a partisan issue instead of a legal one!

Sound fun? Takers?

Nah, let the legal system handle it. I'll just make sure it doesn't get swept under the rug to spare the gun nuts who actually have sexual relations with their firearms and other inanimate objects, feelings. But then again I have no sympathy for their feelings. Or their ability to continue breathing for that matter. Expect continuing updates. Especially the ones that bring bad news for the shooter.

I say we try the case on the internet. Let's get all invested and make it a partisan issue instead of a legal one!

Sound fun? Takers?

I'll bite.

Evidence showed McBride knocked on the locked screen door, Worthy said, and that there was no sign of forced entry.

Under a 2006 Michigan self-defense law, a homeowner has the right to use force during a break-in. Otherwise, a person must show that his or her life was in danger.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/prosecutor-to-announce-whether-shell-seek-charges-in-detroit-area-porch-shooting/2013/11/15/ab6377ae-4dbb-11e3-97f6-ed8e3053083b_story.html

"Gerald Thurswell, the McBride family's attorney, said the homeowner called 911 after he shot McBride, and said that police arrived within minutes."

Too bad he didn't call 911 before he shot her.

He was behind a locked door, and there was no sign she was trying to break in, so it looks like the law is not on his side in this case.

"Detroit Porch Shooting"

Just sounds funny.

Walk away...

If I can walk away from that one, anyone can...

I'll bite.

"Gerald Thurswell, the McBride family's attorney, said the homeowner called 911 after he shot McBride, and said that police arrived within minutes."

Too bad he didn't call 911 before he shot her.

He was behind a locked door, and there was no sign she was trying to break in, so it looks like the law is not on his side in this case.

Rumor is, she was a rather muscular negress, carrying purple drank.

Nah, let the legal system handle it.

That's what Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy said at a news conference. She mentioned that there is a lot of leeway in the charges to present to a jury, so they can decide what to do with the individual.

Fishy, right? More may come to light...

Good thing I have this gas can, in case we bump into a spark... :D

LMAO.........................

Very strange.

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing there's alot of "what not to do" lessons in this one....................................

She was sober enough to make it that far to try to get help.....6 blocks from the scene....hardly drunk off her ass.... you just hate ni99ers, and this is a hate crime.

Figures you'd be the first one to come in here with your hanky all wet. Three times the legal BAC is pretty drunk, and then the genious was operating a vehicle. Maybe she thought the dope would take the edge off ehhh sparky? And six blocks? No houses for six blocks except this one? Very odd.

You'll get no sympathy from me chump, your folks are blowing the hell outta each other in every major city - yet not a whimper from you folks on that. Agenda, agenda, agenda.

So she deserved to get killed for knocking on a door seeking help?

Did the homeowner know all those details when he decided to shoot her in the face?

I doubt a jury will agree with you...

Who knows what the whole story is at this point. I don't like seeing anyone shot that hasn't earned it. Not being the homeowner, I have no idea what was going through his head when some drunkarsed, doped up, bloodied person was banging on his door.

I see ya skipped the whole blacks slaughtering each other thing. Probably wise of you - but hey - keep the agenda going and make hay when ya can ehhh sparky?

So she deserved to get killed for knocking on a door seeking help?

Did the homeowner know all those details when he decided to shoot her in the face?

I doubt a jury will agree with you...

That isn't the issue.

The issue is, there were scores of blacks gunned down the same day. What is so different about THIS case, that make it stand out and be put on the forum?

Why THIS case?

I am impressed Detroit has a 2 minute response time to a (Drunk chick banging on my front door) call!

In Houston it took them 14 minutes to respond to my multiple intruders in my house and I have a gun pointed on one of them call.....

Sounds like a tragic accident unles the victim was black then it is pure racism

I am impressed Detroit has a 2 minute response time to a (Drunk chick banging on my front door) call!

In Houston it took them 14 minutes to respond to my multiple intruders in my house and I have a gun pointed on one of them call.....

Sounds like a tragic accident unles the victim was black then it is pure racism

This one understands the rules.

That isn't the issue.

The issue is, there were scores of blacks gunned down the same day. What is so different about THIS case, that make it stand out and be put on the forum?

Why THIS case?

Bravo 2F's........

If they can remotely get a racial angle, this will get ridden like an aspiring actress in Vegas. Never mind the thousands of blacks blown away this year by their bretheren, they don't count because there's no agenda gain.

This stuff is past getting old.

Its pretty obvious what the story is, she went to a house to seek help and was shot in the face...killed in cold blood by a homeowner who had no reason to even answer the door... but did anyhow.

Yes, but why THIS case? Why is THIS case being singled out, when scores of blacks were gunned down the same day?

What is so special about THIS case?

I mean, it CAN'T be the inter-racial angle - no possible way. Because there are lots of inter-racial murders occurring all the time. You do a google search for black on white crime and the damned screen fills up so fast it'll make your head spin.

So it can't be the inter-racial thing.

What is it?

Bravo 2F's........

If they can remotely get a racial angle, this will get ridden like an aspiring actress in Vegas. Never mind the thousands of blacks blown away this year by their bretheren, they don't count because there's no agenda gain.

This stuff is past getting old.

But that's just crazy. As I posted above, inter-racial crimes literally ABOUND. So it CAN'T be the inter-racial thing...

ridden like an aspiring actress in Vegas.

Damn. That's a nice simile.

Its pretty obvious what the story is, she went to a house to seek help and was shot in the face...killed in cold blood by a homeowner who had no reason to even answer the door... but did anyhow.

It is obvious we don't have all the facts.

What kind of neighborhood and what kindo of problems has the shooter had to deal with in the past?

Time of day?

Drunk, High and banging on someones front door is disorderly counduct, public intoxication and tresspassing in some places....after dark that can be a game changer.

Besides it was the Joe Biden himself that said get a shotgun and protect yourself with it!