Americans strongly back min wage increases

"News outlets across the country declared Gov. Chris Christie the "landslide" winner in his re-election campaign. Christie was immediately touted as "the new face of the Republican Party" and a leading 2016 presidential contender. Journalists and commentators took his victory as a sign that "moderate" (i.e., pro-corporate) policies are popular (even though Christie's actual policy positions are neither moderate nor popular, according to the polls).

Yet in the same election, New Jersey voters approved a measure to raise New Jersey's minimum wage. Christie won with 60 percent of the vote to his opponent's 39 percent. The minimum wage measure passed by a virtually identical margin of 60 percent to 40 percent. So why was one victory called a game-changing "landslide" and the other treated as merely a footnote in the election coverage?

That's a rhetorical question, needless to say. Christie's victory was touted because it seemed to reinforce the dominant (and false) narrative of a "centrist" country whose voters are friendly to corporate-leaning policies from both parties.

But the minimum wage votes strongly suggest that this narrative is a hoax. Tacoma residents voted to raise their minimum wage to $15 an hour, a figure which is the subject of a growing workers' campaign which originated in the fast food industry.

...voters intuitively understand the importance of a decent minimum wage. A Gallup poll released only yesterday showed that more than three-quarters of American voters would vote for raising the minimum wage to nine dollars an hour, 75 cents more than the new New Jersey rate.

They understand that a healthy economy needs a robust middle-class which is capable of earning a decent income. They intuitively grasp the "facts on the ground" in the wage crisis we're currently experiencing -- that the real minimum wage has fallen drastically, and that this in turn has led to weakened wages and fewer job opportunities for all middle-class workers.

Now, as the voters of New Jersey will eventually learn, $8.25 isn't enough of an increase in the minimum wage. That's already the minimum wage in Illinois, where fast-food workers are costing Illinois taxpayers $368 million in public assistance per year.

Fast food corporations are increasing their profits by refusing to pay their workers a living wage. And taxpayers are subsidizing their profits, along with the misery of their workers, to the tune of billions of dollars a year nationwide.

Voters understand this.

Progress sometimes begins with a single step. Illinois is learning its lesson, as can be seen by the governor's campaign to raise the minimum wage further, to $10 an hour. Fifteen dollars is a more economically just minimum wage. (The minimum wage was higher in 1963 than it is today. See here for more.) The successful experience of local municipalities like Tacoma can help demonstrate the fact that higher minimum wages improves local economies.

And success breeds success. Once voters understand that they can defeat corporate interests, as they did last week in New Jersey, optimism breeds further action. And slowly but surely, things begin to get better."

http://www.eskowandassociates.com/

stupid dano. It does not matter what the people want or think. the minimum wage is bad for business and even worse for workers. for example I have 10 workers at minimum wage, the wage goes up by $1.00/hr. I fire 2 workers and because the remaining 8 just got a raise I will work them even harder to make up for the 2 workers I let go. So dano, do you see how it works. Me, the employer have no increase, 2 employees are no longer employed and the 8 remaining will have to work harder and have less breaks.

profits over people. the worker is a commoditiy to be worked to the bone for the least amount of money to increase profits and build equity for the business owner.

With all the wealthy liberals out there you would think they would all get together, start a new business, pay their employees a minimum of $40,000 a year and show the world how its done. Why hasn't that happened? Because libs will not spend their own money on the the things they demand others do. Hypocrites.

stupid dano. It does not matter what the people want or think. the minimum wage is bad for business and even worse for workers. for example I have 10 workers at minimum wage, the wage goes up by $1.00/hr. I fire 2 workers and because the remaining 8 just got a raise I will work them even harder to make up for the 2 workers I let go. So dano, do you see how it works. Me, the employer have no increase, 2 employees are no longer employed and the 8 remaining will have to work harder and have less breaks.

profits over people. the worker is a commoditiy to be worked to the bone for the least amount of money to increase profits and build equity for the business owner.

It is not bad for business. It is great for overall consumption - something business thrives on and cannot survive without.

With all the wealthy liberals out there you would think they would all get together, start a new business, pay their employees a minimum of $40,000 a year and show the world how its done. Why hasn't that happened? Because libs will not spend their own money on the the things they demand others do. Hypocrites.

Like this...

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/06/news/economy/costco-fast-food-strikes/

How can someone on welfare, such as yourself, employ 10 workers? That's what I want to know :)

It is not bad for business. It is great for overall consumption - something business thrives on and cannot survive without.

Since just passing a moronic minimum wage law does not magically conjure wealth out of thin air, where exactly do you think all the money will come from to support this supposed increase in "overall consumption"?

stupid dano. It does not matter what the people want or think.

Spoken like a true Republican. It's no wonder you guys don't believe in polls.

Trader Joes and Costco already does.

How can someone on welfare, such as yourself, employ 10 workers? That's what I want to know :)

Those are his gay playmates.

Wait, isn't consumerism a BAD thing?

So, do you suddenly agree with the right that Obamacare is a bad idea and should be repealed?

After all, that's what the polls say, or is that somehow different?

Since just passing a moronic minimum wage law does not magically conjure wealth out of thin air, where exactly do you think all the money will come from to support this supposed increase in "overall consumption"?

good GOD you're stupid.

good GOD you're stupid.

Well then, it should be EXTREMELY easy for one of you libs to finally prove me wrong on this subject. So what the hell are you waiting for? What, are you all just taking it easy on me? Lol...

By the way, drano, calling someone stupid is a lot more effective AFTER you actually prove them wrong. When you just blindly call someone stupid that continually humiliates you and makes you run away like a little sniveling coward, your insults ring quite hollow. Hope this helps...

Like this...

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/06/news/economy/costco-fast-food-strikes/

What you ignore is that if the minimum wage is increased then every other worker will want a relative increase as well. Anyone who worked and got raises and now sits at minimum wage will be incensed if they do not get increased as well and so it goes up the ladder of wages. I lived this under Carter. The inflation rate cause the wages to increase and at times with a wage adjustment on the scale where I worked I would be below the scale. Then I got the step increases and then it happened all over again. Many people working there were angry because the worked to get the increases and then they went bye bye. An increase in the minimum wage really means that everybody will get raises and the minimum wage is back at the bottom after the inflation hits.

I suggest you look at the difference between what things cost at Costco, BJ's, and Sam's Club. We have all three where I live. We visited Costco and went back to BJ's for better prices.

Trader Joes and Costco already does.

Those are his gay playmates.

then why dont they go get a job at costco or trader joes if they think they good enough otherwise they should take what they get and be happy they have a job.

Well then, it should be EXTREMELY easy for one of you libs to finally prove me wrong on this subject. So what the hell are you waiting for? What, are you all just taking it easy on me? Lol...

By the way, drano, calling someone stupid is a lot more effective AFTER you actually prove them wrong. When you just blindly call someone stupid that continually humiliates you and makes you run away like a little sniveling coward, your insults ring quite hollow. Hope this helps...

really pissed, huh?

When someone says the sky is green and there's cheese on the moon, there's nothing to refute, idiot.

really pissed, huh?

When someone says the sky is green and there's cheese on the moon, there's nothing to refute, idiot.

just because somebody confronts you with facts and then you ignore them and go crying to your mamma doesnt mean you one the argument dumbass.

Well, nighty? Where did you go? running, huh? You always run. every time you get your ass reamed you run away and hide.

You made another unsourced, unbacked stupid assertion and now I shoved it down your throat. face it...you're a stupid attention-whore that can't come up with a valid argument. Accept your shortcomings.

http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/index.php?/topic/157736-a-few-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

Boo-yah.

Hey nighty, do me a favor while you're down there...try and get my BALLS into the mix.

Well, nighty? Where did you go? running, huh? You always run. every time you get your ass reamed you run away and hide.

What the fuck are you babbling about, imbecile? I have not run anywhere. Ever. If you think otherwise, then let's see you post a link to a thread where I have debated some lib and that lib has repeatedly bumped the thread without me responding. Good luck.

And where has anyone ever "reamed" my ass on this forum? Lol...

You made another unsourced, unbacked stupid assertion and now I shoved it down your throat. face it...you're a stupid attention-whore that can't come up with a valid argument. Accept your shortcomings.

http://liberalforum.org/liberalforum/index.php?/topic/157736-a-few-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

Boo-yah.

Hey nighty, do me a favor while you're down there...try and get my BALLS into the mix.

Why are you linking a thread where I easily humiliated you???

You also see this selective rage from the Left concerning taxes on the rich.... It seems their scorn is exclusively aimed at wealthy Repubs, but the fabulously rich Democrats get a pass.... Why hasn't someone like Michael Moore, Sean Penn, or Nancy Pelosi stepped forward, and paid one more Dime in taxes than told to by their accountants? There's no Law that says they can't.... As a matter of fact, their is a special Conscience Fund the Feds have for just these types of things.

Boo-yah.

boy i whoop the dog tar out of you in any debate you cannot even debate your way out of a paper bag bring it on bring it on you dumbass here i am you want a piece of this and bring some facts to the table or dont waste my fucking time.

boy i whoop the dog tar out of you in any debate you cannot even debate your way out of a paper bag bring it on bring it on you dumbass here i am you want a piece of this and bring some facts to the table or dont waste my fucking time.

Kinda insensitive to say you "whoop" a black man with their history and all. Just sayin'. :lol:

Yeah, what do the people know and who cares what they want? They can't always have what they want, like an increase in the minimum wage.

.. except when what they want is an end to Obamacare or anything else cons want. Then they should be allowed to have what they want!

Con Lying Logic 101 -- sign up now at the Institute for Advanced Conservative Baloney Studies.

Yeah, what do the people know and who cares what they want? They can't always have what they want, like an increase in the minimum wage.

.. except when what they want is an end to Obamacare or anything else cons want. Then they should be allowed to have what they want!

Con Lying Logic 101 -- sign up now at the Institute for Advanced Conservative Baloney Studies.

I will go on record saying that what the majority of the people want is completely irrelevant in regards to what is right and wrong.

As I have said before, the majority of the people would probably be in favor of a law that gas cannot be sold for more than $1/gallon too, but that doesn't mean such a law would be a complete and utter disaster and basically shut down the country.

What you people do not seem to understand is your policies are a redistribution of wealth you must take from others and redistribute yet our founding fathers believed strongly in property rights and all the government can serve to do is be an impediment on growth what made this country great was free market capitalism and it will be the power of the free market that will get us out of this mess.