Rand Paul won’t let himself get busted

for plagiarism again

Today Senator Rand Paul (R.-Ky.) made his first major speech since being hit with numerous plagiarism charges — including some originally uncovered by Salon.

In remarks at The Citadel, the Charleston, S.C. military college, Paul lambasted American foreign policy, faulted Hillary Clinton for her role in Benghazi and said nice things about Ronald Reagan. But the speech’s most memorable aspect was the inclusion of 33 footnotes. Here’s a sampling of the speech:

In David Nichols’ book, Eisenhower 1956, he writes that Ike “believed, with good reason, that once the violence begins, everything changes and you can throw your plans in the trash.” [6]

It’s too bad more in Washington don’t heed Ike’s advice today.

In Egypt recently, we saw a military coup that this Administration tells us is not a military coup. In a highly unstable situation, our government continued to send F-16s, Abrams tanks and American-made tear gas. My guess is that the protestors on the receiving end of tear gas made in Pennsylvania don’t harbor warm and fuzzy feelings for America. [7]

Before sending aid to the Generals, we sent F-16s, tanks and billions in aid to the government they just overthrew-President Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.[8]

Before Morsi, we sent F-16s, tanks and over $70 billion to Hosni Mubarak, a dictator who we called our ally. [9]
Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 05:03 PM EST
Rand Paul won’t let himself get busted for plagiarism again
In a speech today he revealed his defensive strategy: Footnotes, lots of footnotes
Sarah Gray

more

Topics: Senator Rand Paul, Plagiarism, citations, Military, the citadel, News, Politics News
Rand Paul won't let himself get busted for plagiarism againRand Paul (Credit: AP/Reed Saxon)

Today Senator Rand Paul (R.-Ky.) made his first major speech since being hit with numerous plagiarism charges — including some originally uncovered by Salon.

In remarks at The Citadel, the Charleston, S.C. military college, Paul lambasted American foreign policy, faulted Hillary Clinton for her role in Benghazi and said nice things about Ronald Reagan. But the speech’s most memorable aspect was the inclusion of 33 footnotes. Here’s a sampling of the speech:

In David Nichols’ book, Eisenhower 1956, he writes that Ike “believed, with good reason, that once the violence begins, everything changes and you can throw your plans in the trash.” [6]

It’s too bad more in Washington don’t heed Ike’s advice today.

In Egypt recently, we saw a military coup that this Administration tells us is not a military coup. In a highly unstable situation, our government continued to send F-16s, Abrams tanks and American-made tear gas. My guess is that the protestors on the receiving end of tear gas made in Pennsylvania don’t harbor warm and fuzzy feelings for America. [7]

Before sending aid to the Generals, we sent F-16s, tanks and billions in aid to the government they just overthrew-President Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.[8]

Before Morsi, we sent F-16s, tanks and over $70 billion to Hosni Mubarak, a dictator who we called our ally. [9]

And the footnotes:
advertisement

[6] Nichols, D. (2011). Eisenhower 1956. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. Page number?

[7] Wali, S. O., & Sami, D. A. (2011). Egyptian police using U.S.-made tear gas against demonstrators. ABC News, Retrieved from http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/egypt-protest-police-us-made-tear-gas-demonstrators/story?id=12785598

[8] Sharp, Jeremy, “Egypt: Background and U.S. Relations,” See: Table 3: U.S. Foreign Assistance to Egypt, July 19, 2013; Congressional Research Service.

[9] Ibid.

:D

For those a little slow on the uptake, Rand is making fun of Maddow and her ilk.

Hilarious!! What will be the next attempted distraction from the current admin debacle? Abortion seems to be making a big push.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA.... explain it for us, we are soooooo slow on the uptake.... please explain it for us PLEEEEEAAAASEEE.

because you are sooooooooo fukkn smart we need such fine examples of integrity to elucidate the meaning of life and how being a cheating piece of shiit is OK in your book, as long as it goes along with your personal political agenda, genius. PLEEAAAAAAASEEEEE offer us you subhuman uptake.... scum boy

Rand Paul will never recover from being a do nothing piece of shlt and a plagiarist.

Rand is nothing more than the pig farmer slopping his hogs, and that is what he brings to the nut case tea bagger types, they are being slopped by their nut case master and they love that tasty s--t.

because you are sooooooooo fukkn smart

Thanks, but truthfully, it takes more of a sense of humor than smarts to get that he's making fun of his liberal detractors!!

Rand Paul will never recover from being a do nothing piece of shlt and a plagiarist.

The news cycle has already run its course. Lasted, what, 2 days?

Thanks, but truthfully, it takes more of a sense of humor than smarts to get that he's making fun of his liberal detractors!!

We won't let him forget about his plagiarizing. Trust me.

The cons sure are deficient when it comes to choosing their spokesmen and role models, they seem to drag them out of insane asylums and whore houses, without any background checks, don't you think it might be time to expand your search, their has to be at least one or two cons that are not nut case plagiarists. but I don't see you having much luck, but there is no harm in trying, hell you could win the lottery on the search, but I shouldn't be saying that, because I don't want to instill any false hope, as you could find a pole vaulting turtle quicker..

ahhhhhhhhh what a fukkn genius.... soak in your hypocrisy you fukkn worm... I guess you approve and condone the cheater scum bag Paul? DO you think cheating is a good thing??? speak right up. show us where you ethics intersect with your personal wishes you subhuman neanderthal barbaric little small brained slime.

Rand Paul pulls the classic "bait and switch" and of course his ignorant followers fall for it. This was not about footnotes as Rand Paul wants us to believe. This was about gross plagerism. The nutjobs always use lies and deception to cloud the issue, but it very rarely works. Nice try though...

The cons sure are deficient when it comes to choosing their spokesmen and role models, they seem to drag them out of insane asylums and whore houses, without any background checks, don't you think it might be time to expand your search, their has to be at least one or two cons that are not nut case plagiarists. but I don't see you having much luck, but there is no harm in trying, hell you could win the lottery on the search, but I shouldn't be saying that, because I don't want to instill any false hope, as you could find a pole vaulting turtle quicker..

Their must be...their must...

Rand Paul pulls the classic "bait and switch" and of course his ignorant followers fall for it. This was not about footnotes as Rand Paul wants us to believe. This was about gross plagerism. The nutjobs always use lies and deception to cloud the issue, but it very rarely works. Nice try though...

Who could know what he could have meant more than us??

But you are right...he baited the left right into it, and then....the switch.

Their must be...their must...

Who could know what he could have meant more than us??

But you are right...he baited the left right into it, and then....the switch.

What I would like to know is why he would bait and switch the left into the realization that he is a slug and piece of s--t plagiarizer, I have no doubt that you have a very good explanation as to how that will help him politically, I've seen you cons try to lie your way out of even more ridiculous s--t than that, so lets see what you got, I have a feeling that there is a good laugh in it.

What I would like to know is why he would bait and switch the left into the realization that he is a slug and piece of s--t plagiarizer, I have no doubt that you have a very good explanation as to how that will help him politically, I've seen you cons try to lie your way out of even more ridiculous s--t than that, so lets see what you got, I have a feeling that there is a good laugh in it.

That would be a better question posed to our friend who accused him of a bait and switch. I personally don't think it was that tactic to make Maddow look foolish...I imagine he was as stunned as anybody that she would spend valuable air time on such a silly subject.

For her sake though, and for all of those so embroiled in this staggeringly stupid topic, he has made a point to meticulously footnote most everything he said in his last speech.

for plagiarism again

:D

For those a little slow on the uptake, Rand is making fun of Maddow and her ilk.

Hilarious!! What will be the next attempted distraction from the current admin debacle? Abortion seems to be making a big push.

That's smart. Very smart.

Letting the scandal get started was stupid. But mocking it, and footnoting? Truly, that's a genius move. He might just turn the entire thing into a positive.

That would be a better question posed to our friend who accused him of a bait and switch. I personally don't think it was that tactic to make Maddow look foolish...I imagine he was as stunned as anybody that she would spend valuable air time on such a silly subject.

For her sake though, and for all of those so embroiled in this staggeringly stupid topic, he has made a point to meticulously footnote most everything he said in his last speech.

Pardon me for my ignorance on the topic, but didn't he get caught using entire paragraphs DIRECTLY from wiki without attribution? Be gentle - I get all of my "news" off this forum. But isn't that pretty much agreed to by all - or are you saying he did not do that?

Because if he DID do that, I think Maddow has a opretty good gotcha, and was justified in her use of airtime.

That's smart. Very smart.

Letting the scandal get started was stupid. But mocking it, and footnoting? Truly, that's a genius move. He might just turn the entire thing into a positive.

Pardon me for my ignorance on the topic, but didn't he get caught using entire paragraphs DIRECTLY from wiki without attribution? Be gentle - I get all of my "news" off this forum. But isn't that pretty much agreed to by all - or are you saying he did not do that?

Because if he DID do that, I think Maddow has a opretty good gotcha, and was justified in her use of airtime.

Let's hear straight from the man....

http://www.csmonitor.com/Media/Content/2013/1109/11-9-13-Rand-Paul-responds-to-plagiarism-charges

The good thing is, this non-story rotted on a TV show viewed by only slightly more people than signed up for obamacare.

Meh. That was pure spin. It was decent spin, but it was mostly reassuring the choir.

Didn't answer my question.

Is it true that he kiped entire paragraphs, more than once, without attribution, and presented them as his own? If so, Maddow was not wasting teevee time, She was using it well.

...rand is a good little goy..

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://uploads.static.vosizneias.com/2013/01/randd-725x483.jpg&imgrefurl=http://attorneysdefendingisrael.blogspot.com/2013/

(crap, i failed to paste a picture of iZraeli co cksucker rand wearing his yarmulke like a good little puppet!..btw, those pictures are tough to find!)

Is it true that he kiped entire paragraphs, more than once, without attribution, and presented them as his own?

It would depend on what 'presented them as his own' means. If every word that isn't completely original has to attributed or the author is guilty of plagiarism, then everyone on this board is certainly guilty, if only for omission of attribution.

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/12/244760001/did-rand-paul-commit-plagiarism-or-just-a-faux-pas

NPR can't bring themselves to be quite as outraged as Rachel, or really get so much as a yawn.

It would depend on what 'presented them as his own' means. If every word that isn't completely original has to attributed or the author is guilty of plagiarism, then everyone on this board is certainly guilty, if only for omission of attribution.

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/12/244760001/did-rand-paul-commit-plagiarism-or-just-a-faux-pas

NPR can't bring themselves to be quite as outraged as Rachel, or really get so much as a yawn.

MUCH better link - thank you.

yeah. how long did the obama plagiarism accusations last? that's why the media shut the f**k up on it fairly quick. they forgot

their messiah had plagiarism issues of his own.

This is the first I have heard of any Obama plagiarism.

yeah. they hush-hushed it pretty quick back in the day. i think it was the clintons that 1st brought the accusation up. then bill's own people started

calling him a racist every time he slammed obama for anything. ha ha.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=obama+plagiarism+scandal&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

yeah. they hush-hushed it pretty quick back in the day. i think it was the clintons that 1st brought the accusation up. then bill's own people started

calling him a racist every time he slammed obama for anything. ha ha.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=obama+plagiarism+scandal&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

I'm no obamabot, but I googled it and it seems the friend/speech-writer who provided him with the words also okayed their use. There's no there, there. If there IS a there, there, then anyone who uses speech writers (every pol) is a plagiarist.

Everyone knows he plagiarized all over your mom's face

She wanted it.