In New York, Having a Job, or 2, Doesn’t Mean Having a Home

By MIREYA NAVARRO

Y-jpHOMELESS1-articleInline.jpg
Michael Nagle for The New York Times

Alpha Manzueta holds two security guard jobs, one at Kennedy Airport.

“I feel stuck,” said Ms. Manzueta, 37, who has a 2 ½-year-old daughter and who, on a recent Wednesday, looked crisp in her security guard uniform, waving traffic away from the curb at Kennedy International Airport. “You try, you try and you try and you’re getting nowhere. I’m still in the shelter.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/nyregion/in-new-york-having-a-job-or-2-doesnt-mean-having-a-home.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it might help if liberal big gov/big tax policies didn't drive the cost of living up to ridiculous levels.

what is it? like over $1000 for a trashy ass studio apartment there or something?

For once, You have a valid point.

Seems to me to be more of a mathematical and choice scenario. Nothing scary whatsoever.

It is scary. You can work hard, plan and still end up homeless.

It is scary. You can work hard, plan and still end up homeless.

People know the score, there's nothing hidden. The ridiculous cost of gooberment aside, living in one of the most expensive places in the country isn't conducive to owning a home on a security guard salary. That's just reality.

it might help if liberal big gov/big tax policies didn't drive the cost of living up to ridiculous levels.

what is it? like over $1000 for a trashy ass studio apartment there or something?

Your kidding , right?

How dose the government cause wages to be insufficient ? Connbaggers hate the idea of a living wage.

Privet industry dosen't pay well .

1000 dollars for an apartment? Ok who owns the building ? The government?

It might help if greed wasn't considered good .

Your kidding , right?

How dose the government cause wages to be insufficient ? Connbaggers hate the idea of a living wage.

Privet industry dosen't pay well .

1000 dollars for an apartment? Ok who owns the building ? The government?

It might help if greed wasn't considered good .

What's a living wage in newyork.lefty?

Why doesn't take her kid and leave for somewhere affordable?

I'll never understand why people refuse to migrate to other parts of the country, especially when they have nothing tying them down like a home.

If work two jobs and have a family, you have pennies to move to another state. Not a hard concept to understand.

People know the score, there's nothing hidden. The ridiculous cost of gooberment aside, living in one of the most expensive places in the country isn't conducive to owning a home on a security guard salary. That's just reality.

I spent my life hearing the conservative message that if you work hard, plan, you'll not have to worry about having a place to sleep. Turns out, the message was meant to be self assuring.

I spent my life hearing the conservative message that if you work hard, plan, you'll not have to worry about having a place to sleep. Turns out, the message was meant to be self assuring.

I too heard that same message. Funny thing is, for me its proven to be 100% true and I'm thankful for it - where did you go wrong?

Your kidding , right?

because a person could easily afford a decent place to live in my city and other cities across the nation on what this woman earns.

only in liberal haven cities such as chicago and new york is the cost of living so high that people like this woman can't eke out a

living. and if she really wanted out of the shelter? she could find a roommate in a big city. especially that city. this article is a

propaganda piece plain and simple. most americans in her situation understand that a 2 income household makes things easier.

so she's either an idiot or simply being dishonest about her motives to fit with the article's class warfare agenda.

What if you can't afford to leave?

how can she not afford to leave? she lives in a homeless shelter and she has 2 jobs. she simply buys 2 greyhound tickets with her paycheck

and travels to a homeless shelter in another city that has a more reasonable cost of living and job market.

how can she not afford to leave? she lives in a homeless shelter and she has 2 jobs. she simply buys 2 greyhound tickets with her paycheck

and travels to a homeless shelter in another city that has a more reasonable cost of living and job market.

She has a daughter. Kids are expensive.