Rightwings Anti Post Office Agenda Takes Big Hit

skews13

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/amazon-us-postal-service-sunday-deliveries_n_4252982.html

Amazon is offering the beleaguered U.S. Postal Service a lifeline, The Washington Post reported.

On Monday, the online retailer announced plans to use the postal service to deliver packages to U.S. customers seven days a week.

Thanks to the new deal, Amazon customers will pay regular mailing rates for weekend deliveries, The Los Angeles Times reported. In the past, a Sunday delivery sent via Express Mail cost extra.

Amazon will launch the new Sunday service in the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas immediately, just in time for the holiday shopping rush. The rest of the country will follow suit in 2014.

To handle the additional mail load, the Postal Service will use its flexible scheduling of employees, USPS spokeswoman Sue Brennan said. The USPS isn't planning to hire additional workers.

The partnership is expected to help the Postal Service, which lost $16 billion in the last year.

Prior to the partnership, the USPS had been asking Congress for the authority to end Saturday delivery of letters in an effort to cut costs. According to The New York Times, the move will also help the Postal Service in its competition against United Parcel Service and FedEx.

“As online shopping continues to increase, the Postal Service is very happy to offer shippers like Amazon the option of having packages delivered on Sunday,” Postmaster General Patrick R. Donahoe said in a statement.

If this is being paid for by Amazon through shipping rates, then I am ok with this as it is a solution fronm the private sector chosen by Bezos.

Two immediate problems I see are changes in shipping rates after the initial roll-out and a cry from Postal Workers who previously had Sundays off now having to work. Postal Workers union isn't going to take it for long without a Sunday wage rate.

If this is being paid for by Amazon through shipping rates, then I am ok with this as it is a solution fronm the private sector chosen by Bezos.

Two immediate problems I see are changes in shipping rates after the initial roll-out and a cry from Postal Workers who previously had Sundays off now having to work. Postal Workers union isn't going to take it for long without a Sunday wage rate.

Good observations. Since this is the initial roll out, there will be adjustments that are satisfactory to all. With thousands of postal employees facing more and more cuts in their benefits, and hours due to actions by Congress, of whom they do not support, i'm sure many of them will be happy to get the overtime hours as a way to stick it to Congressional Republicans. A lot of part time employees will be happy to get the extra hours also which adds to their retirement benefits. This only hurts private sector shipping companies like UPS, and Fed Ex, which Amazon has concluded only cost it's customers more with higher shipping rates and restricted delivery times. After hearing the news, i'm now waiting for the usual suspects in Congress to cry foul. To them I say eat shit and die.

What "anti post office agenda"?

Are you really so desperate to defect from Obama's failures, you have to invent stupid shit like THIS now?

They do seem to be disco-dancing as fast as they can in an attempt to turn heads away from the liquid shit that IS the Obama Administration. But the post office? C'mon, what's next? Buggy whip factories?

Thanks to the new deal, Amazon customers will pay regular mailing rates for weekend deliveries, The Los Angeles Times reported. In the past, a Sunday delivery sent via Express Mail cost extra.

WTF are you babbling about?

What "anti-Post Office agenda," troll?

With thousands of postal employees facing more and more cuts in their benefits, and hours due to actions by Congress, of whom they do not support, i'm sure many of them will be happy to get the overtime hours as a way to stick it to Congressional Republicans.

Their benefits are being cut, because Postal employees got massively over-generous pay and benefits.

So the Post Office is effectively bankrupt.

Another case of liberal "success."

Good observations. Since this is the initial roll out, there will be adjustments that are satisfactory to all. With thousands of postal employees facing more and more cuts in their benefits, and hours due to actions by Congress, of whom they do not support, i'm sure many of them will be happy to get the overtime hours as a way to stick it to Congressional Republicans. A lot of part time employees will be happy to get the extra hours also which adds to their retirement benefits. This only hurts private sector shipping companies like UPS, and Fed Ex, which Amazon has concluded only cost it's customers more with higher shipping rates and restricted delivery times. After hearing the news, i'm now waiting for the usual suspects in Congress to cry foul. To them I say eat shit and die.

This isn't sticking it to anyone. This is a proposal between a private company and the USPS. If it bridges the gap, great. If not, it will be scrapped. This has nothing to do with Dems or the GOP. If it works out, great. That means we can look at other options for funding the USPS, rather than endless government subsidies.

Are you really so desperate to defect from Obama's failures, you have to invent stupid shit like THIS now?

GolfButtBoy........like the sun and the tides, and mountains of smelly fecal matter.......

He is always with us!

And, as if on cue, his incestuous first cousin, RichClam pops up!

Twin soks, anyone? :P

WTF are you babbling about?

Their benefits are being cut, because Postal employees got massively over-generous pay and benefits.

The post office is enumerated in the Constitution as one of the powers of Congress. So you're admitting that the Constitution is a Liberal document written by our Liberal founding fathers? I don't seem to notice UPS, or FED EX listed in there anyplace.

That's like you cletis. Ask what anti post office agenda, and then out of the other side of your face rant about overly generous pay and benefits.

Looks like that overly generous pay and benefits is now going to continue unimpeded with the help of private business. That's got to hurt if you're a rightwinger. Wait until the Democrats get full control of Congress and the White house cletis. Those rules passed by Republicans that have kept the USPS in the red are history, and the pay and benefits will only get even better. :lol:

Is Goof really this stupid, or does he just play dumb? I'm 100% serious with my question.

You poor bastard, you can't even come up with an original insult.

Still waiting to see that "Rightwing anti-Post Office Agenda".

It appears all you idiots are capable of are pathetic insults because you can't support your claims.

The post office is enumerated in the Constitution as one of the powers of Congress. So you're admitting that the Constitution is a Liberal document written by our Liberal founding fathers? I don't seem to notice UPS, or FED EX listed in there anyplace.

That's like you cletis. Ask what anti post office agenda, and then out of the other side of your face rant about overly generous pay and benefits.

Are you totally irrational? Does your mind actually function? :blink:

That Post Office employees pillaged their own institution doesn't mean I'm "anti Post Office." I simply want 1) a level playing field and 2) an end to taxpayer bailouts.

Take away the Post Office's effective Government Monopoly on mail delivery and let it survive on its own.

If it can't, that's because Post Office employees raped their own institution expecting Dems to bail them out with Other People's Money.

Looks like that overly generous pay and benefits is now going to continue unimpeded with the help of private business. That's got to hurt if you're a rightwinger.

WTF are you babbling about? :blink: I'm not at all against voluntary transactions. I advocate them.

Wait until the Democrats get full control of Congress and the White house cletis. Those rules passed by Republicans that have kept the USPS in the red are history, and the pay and benefits will only get even better. :lol:

First, there's effectively zero chance of Dems taking the House.

Second, the country is facing roughly $80 trillion in unfunded obligations in coming years.

Raising postal employees' pay and benefits will just hasten the collapse of the entire US economy,.

But you're painfully clueless and don't see that tidal wave coming.

Some Postal workers have always worked on Sundays, and already get a 25% Sunday differential.

skews13, on 11 Nov 2013 - 12:39, said:

Check out the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, which was passed in a Republican-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House.

The law requires the USPS to prefund 75 years worth of it's retirees health benefits in a 10 year period, something no other government agency, and certainly no company has ever been made to do.

IOW, the USPS is supposed to set aside money for the future health benefits of people that haven't even been born yet.

These payments are the reason why the USPS now finds itself in the position it does.

The goal of this bill was to bankrupt the USPS, so they could privatize it.

The cowards passed the bill in the House by a voice vote, and in the Senate by unanimous consent.

They didn't even have the guts to go on record with their vote.

Republicans have hamstrung the Postal Service, forcing it into 'crisis' and are now 'solving' the crisis by working towards dismantling and privatizing it.

Perhaps you can tell me why a Republican controlled House and Senate passed a law forcing the USPS to pre-pay 75 years worth of health care benefits in a 10 year window, something no other government agency is forced to do?

What was the purpose of that Kitten?

Operationally speaking, the USPS nets profits every year. The financial problem it faces now comes from a 2006 Congressional mandate that requires the agency to "pre-pay" into a fund that covers health care costs for future retired employees. Under the mandate, the USPS is required to make an annual $5.5 billion payment over ten years, through 2016. These "prepayments" are largely responsible for the USPS's financial losses over the past four years and the threat of shutdown that looms ahead take the retirement fund out of the equation, and the postal service would have actually netted $1 billion in profits over this period.

Link

Check out the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, which was passed in a Republican-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House.

The law requires the USPS to prefund 75 years worth of it's retirees health benefits in a 10 year period, something no other government agency, and certainly no company has ever been made to do.

IOW, the USPS is supposed to set aside money for the future health benefits of people that haven't even been born yet.

These payments are the reason why the USPS now finds itself in the position it does.

The cowards passed the bill in the House by a voice vote, and in the Senate by unanimous consent.

Republicans have hamstrung the Postal Service, forcing it into 'crisis' and are now 'solving' the crisis by working towards dismantling and privatizing it.

i would give anything to see it privatized.....let me run it and i guarantee you in 2 yrs it would be profitable, i'd love to trim all that wasteful fat and throw it in the garbage.

first thing, NO ONE can retire before 65 with a pension or medical, just like most of this country

Perhaps you can tell me why a Republican controlled House and Senate passed a law forcing the USPS to pre-pay 75 years worth of health care benefits in a 10 year window, something no other government agency is forced to do?

i guess so we can pay early retirees

They shortened the period because postal employees had gutted it expecting a bailout from Dems of Other People's Money.

Something like 65% of revenues were going toward salaries and benefits, and which I bet were set to explode.

No private company ever, EVER would have allowed its revenues to be raped like that. A private sector company would simply go bankrupt.

Some USPS apologists have pointed out that, unlike other federal agencies, USPS is mandated to prefund its retirement benefits. It’s true that the requirement, which Congress imposed in 2006, is burdensome (without it, USPS wouldn’t have started losing money until recently) and aggressive (it requires the struggling company to make large annual payments for ten years). However, it is also prescient: USPS is almost certain to see its revenues continue to decline in the coming decades, and if it doesn’t work ahead to keep the promises it makes to its workers, it will default, and taxpayers will be left paying the bill. Congress should not see removing this requirement as an option.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/285093/fixing-usps-editors

i would give anything to see it privatized.....

You are never going to get a private company to deliver to rural areas because they would have to do it at a loss.

Do we just tell all those people, too bad, so sad, no mail for you?

To protect the American people from the same kinds of retirement fund problems that are plaguing cities, states and unions across the country.

Misty, on 11 Nov 2013 - 16:24, said:

i guess so we can pay early retirees

They are being forced to pay for retirees that haven't even been born yet.

Are we paying them in the womb?

That isn't anti-Postal Service, it was designed to protect the American people.

If the goal was to bankrupt the postal service and privatize it, as you've claimed, where is the privatization?

Misty, on 11 Nov 2013 - 16:24, said:

To protect the American people from the same kinds of retirement fund problems that are plaguing cities, states and unions across the country.

That is bullshit.

The Postal Service's pension funds are overfunded and the retiree health care fund currently contains almost $45 billion dollars, enough to pay retiree health costs for decades to come.

Since they began, these over payments have accounted for more than 80 percent of the Postal Service's losses.

Try again.

That is bullshit.

The Postal Service's pension funds are overfunded and the retiree health care fund currently contains almost $45 billion dollars, enough to pay retiree health costs for decades to come.

Since they began, these over payments have accounted for more than 80 percent of the Postal Service's losses.

Try again.

Link?

As a former postal worker, I can tell you from experience it is one big clusterf'k.

One example: I use to work all the holidays, I could and got paid double time and a half. The hardest part about working on those days was staying awake because there was no mail. See first class mail is not allowed to sit, so just in case there was a flood of it...there had to be enough people to move it. Two employees and a supervisor would have been enough where I worked. Instead they had like 8 workers and 2 supervisors.