Did Obama violate the Geneva Convention?

Tko763

I recently watched the film We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks. Great film by the way. I’m very liberal and love Obama. A lot of the information in this film troubles me, but the point I'm addressing troubles me more than anything else.

According to the Third Geneva Convention, Article 12:

Prisoners of war may only be transferred by the Detaining Power to a Power which is a party to the Convention and after the Detaining Power has satisfied itself of the willingness and ability of such transferee Power to apply the Convention. When prisoners of war are transferred under such circumstances, responsibility for the application of the Convention rests on the Power accepting them while they are in its custody. Nevertheless if that Power fails to carry out the provisions of the Convention in any important respect, the Power by whom the prisoners of war were transferred shall, upon being notified by the Protecting Power, take effective measures to correct the situation or shall request the return of the prisoners of war. Such requests must be complied with.

The US, Iraq and Afghanistan are have all signed and ratified this treaty.

Also, the United Nations Convention Against Torture, Article 3.1 states:

No State Party shall expel, return ("refouler[sic]") or extradite a person to another State where there are substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture.

The US has signed and ratified it, but Iraq has not.

But in Iraq, US forces routinely turn over detainees(POWS) to Iraqi forces. And the current Iraqi government, which we put in power, regularly torture detainees. Here are a few examples:

http://rt.com/usa/st...ath-squads-527/

http://www.dailymail...on-Baghdad.html

http://www.aljazeera...1828428516.html

There are hundreds of these online. Just Google Iraqi detainee abuse. Google News gives me over 1000 results. And this wasn't when Saddam was in power. This is today. When US forces handover prisoners to the Iraqi state, they are violating the Geneva Convention and the UN Convention Against Torture. And since Obama is commander and chief, does this mean that he is violating the Geneva Convention and the UNCAT? I have been thinking about this for a while and would like to hear the opinions of others.

Thanks for letting me share my mind.

Vote Green!

YOU'RE A RACIST !

I feel like I am sinking to your level by even responding to this, but I was hoping for some honest dialogue about American foreign polity. I am very disappointed. I hope people like you are the exception not the norm. Did you even read my post, or did you just look at the headline.

Of course Obama has violated the G.C.

His personally directed drone attacks killing people indiscriminately, then "double tapping" the site minutes later to kill first responders is what terrorists do, and is clearly against the G.C.

But the left doesn't care what Obama does, and when confronted with his actions, they'll equate it to what Bush did, as though this absolves Obama of his sins.

It depends if you are a pub or or den. If you are a repub of corse he did. If a dem, of course not

That is the same thing that Republicans said about Bush. "He's one of us, so he can do no wrong." I really like Obama, I voted for him twice and would again. But that doesn't mean that he can do no wrong.

That is the same thing that Republicans said about Bush. "He's one of us, so he can do no wrong." I really like Obama, I voted for him twice and would again. But that doesn't mean that he can do no wrong.

The big problem under Bush was the progressives kept up a continuous barrage of lies mixed with some truth. They did the same to Palin. While the election was underway between 1 to 5 lies were told about her daily. With a barrage like that it is hard to sift the wheat from the chaff so it all gets ignored and defended. That is not the case with Obama. The problem under Obama is that too many times when well intended criticism over policy is stated the response is the accusation of Racism. That is why you got your first response.

Too many progressives use the Alinsky methods. Demonize the opposition. Never have an intelligent conversation with them because that humanizes them. Look at the posts of the rabid progressives and you will see this pattern.

i agree with you about Obama's failure there and many other places. His method of solving the economic crisis has never worked in history. It is the progressive method that FDR and Carter used and every other time the government has done nothing or reduced taxes the depression or recession ended within 2 years or shorter. Do you know there was a very deep depression in the early 20's? The government lowered taxes and the roaring 20's were off and running.

Bush did not deliberately lie to the American people, and if you are going to use the invasion of Iraq then you'll be sorry.