What do you think of Ron Paul

I used to find the guy interesting - he was always portrayed as more of a 'sincere candidate' who stood by his beliefs regardless of party, so that apparently made him attractive to a lot of people (who didn't even know much about his beliefs).

But more lately I've seen the guy as more kooky (for example he thinks if someone's got no health insurance and they have a medical emergency, they should just find "a church" to treat them) - and some of his devout fans are even kookier than him - almost like a a cult, which creeps me out.

Not to mention he seems to hate the military - IIRC he basically said that a Afgan vet who was murdered "deserved it" - so I've distanced myself from the guy and sort of wrote him off as some' fringe candidate' with fringe followers - kind of like a Lyndon LaRouche type - anyone disagree?

Not wanting to spend our grandchildren's future on military adventurism =/= hate the military.

Militaries are expensive things that are always destructive to the economy.

Prior to the Great Entitlement Empire this was a country filled with Clubs and Associations, what these clubs and associations did in both purpose and scope varied from one to another. A good chunk of these were designed to help the community with all kinds of things. From taking kids to doctors, getting help for the homeless, teaching work skills to the unskilled, even helping foreigners become naturalized and meld into American society. It worked well for most of our history. To this day, churches set up communal healthcare funds in case a member of the congregation becomes deathly ill or has some sort of serious accident. Nearly 100% of the money here goes to help the people, can you say that about ANY government program? No, you cannot, just based on the fact that some of that money is going to pay the bureaucracy. I won't even go into misuse, abuse, and outright fraud that government programs are absolutely rife with.

Our founders, along with every single influential person in our history, understood that we are a nation of communities. Who is better suited to know your needs? Your community or Beltway politicians?

-NW

I used to find the guy interesting - he was always portrayed as more of a 'sincere candidate' who stood by his beliefs regardless of party, so that apparently made him attractive to a lot of people (who didn't even know much about his beliefs).

But more lately I've seen the guy as more kooky (for example he thinks if someone's got no health insurance and they have a medical emergency, they should just find "a church" to treat them) - and some of his devout fans are even kookier than him - almost like a a cult, which creeps me out.

Not to mention he seems to hate the military - IIRC he basically said that a Afgan vet who was murdered "deserved it" - so I've distanced myself from the guy and sort of wrote him off as some' fringe candidate' with fringe followers - kind of like a Lyndon LaRouche type - anyone disagree?

The American public along with the media demonized this man. Because of that America truly dropped the ball on that one. By this artical though it's obvious you need to be told what to do, who to vote for etc.etc. You need to fit in, I understand.

I like him. Most of the "kooky" stuff attributed to him are deliberate misquotes by the media. As far as saying an Afghan vet "deserved" to be murdered, I would have to see the video - the full video, in context - to believe it. I won't hold my breath though. People also quoted him as saying we deserved 9/11 when he never said any such thing.

I haven't heard him say any of those things.

Jerry Moonbeam Brown, Joe Biden, Al "dumbfuck" Franken, Queenie Pelosi (like my aunt's spoiled, fat, quasi-beagle), Jesse the Conspiracy, all the fucked-in-the-head governors and mayors . . .

Michelle Bachman reminds me of the mom in Starship Troopers who was 'cheering' as her kids stomp bugs on the sidewalk. Lots of nuttiness for all.

With all that, you wonder about one guy that you even admit you liked at one time. I can't say I ever did (little too Ralph Nader-ish for me).

Ron is a Lyndon comparison. Rand not so much.

i

'd agree...but you are looking at the tip of the iceberg. Paul was ..as a Libertarian, a Trojan Horse for the Kochs...who funded the Birchers and Libertarians before realizing those causes were a waste of money...so...they decided to buy controlling interest in the GOP via the Faux "Grass Roots" Tea Party,a merge of the Neo-feudalism of the Libertarians, the bigotry of the George Wallace AIP...the Pat Robetson political/religious cult types, the now "Milita" happy NRA and ...of course..Billionaires pulling the trings in the background.

If you look at the Paul/Libertarian thing....it's a rollback of over 100 years to isolationist policy, to a "Food Chain" economy where the Big Fish do as they please and have no responsibilities at all. 100+ years of REFORMS...especially those that protect the PEOPLE from the most ruthless among the rich and powerful would get eliminated. Paul ....as a fringe GOP candidate was not talking about his more extreme things...but he did not renounce any of it. That includes NO Public schools,colleges,hospitals,prisons, parks. EVERYTHING you could privatize gets sold off. EPA? The Koch's businesses include oil,coal,chemicals,pipelines, and Logging. Those happen to impact the environment and can pollute,spew toxins,etc. They also are industry where Worker Sfety is an issue...and so the Paul/Koch agenda...get rid of OSHA. While your at it...get rid of Social Security,Medicare,Medicaid,,Food Stamps, PBS, The Post Office, Dept of Education, Dept of Energy...and the Federal Reserve. Anything that goes against the Southern notion of " States Rights" ...has to go. Women...get slammed...Paul's intense efforts against Choice and any other women's issues....is oddly contrary to his theme of "Anything Goes"

The Kochs have a stake in Wall St and Finance...though Deregulation of S&Ls...then Banks...then Wall St...got us scams,scandals and RECESSIOS....Paul wants to do it again. While those schemes screwed millions, damaged the economy...some tycoons...LIKE THE LOCHS ,made big $ from tat.

Paul quietly advocates what it would be like had the South won the Civil War...with Slavery the exception. We'd have a class system,with second class citizens. Eliminating Minimum Wage and ALL worker's rights and protection...in these times...is almost cheaper than Slavery...as you don't give out free lunch,and housing.

Hidden by the smoke and mirrors...all this Ayn Rand austerity ....means Billionaires pay far less taxes, and I'd bet they end up with so many loopholes they dodge 3/4 of that. If you want to picture ALL of the Paul agenda...just Imaging the Koch brothers and a few other tycoons ruling America as unchecked monarchs.

Society is like a big henhouse and outside are many many hungry predators. So...Govenment has had to be the big watchdog in the yard. As the predators got bigger and more crafty...we got bigger watchdogs to protect ourselves. The Coyotes keep saying...shoot the watchdog! and...whenever we listen to that crap, we soon regret it.

Interesting since Ron Paul held these same beliefs/attitudes years ago...I thought Ron doesn't hold office anymore? What's the concern?

Just another social evolutionist misleading his congregation of misdirected ancestors.

You mean Social DARWINIST....relating to Survival of the fittest...where those on the bottom of the food chain....are expected to be victims and EVERYTHING is for the benefit of the Aristocracy/plutocracy.

Social evolution is different...it's how we moved from tribes and villages to cities and nations. It's how we function as 300 million, it's how as a TEAM we have a few million miles of paved roads, have sewers ,have laws,schools,bridges.. Paul wants to roll BACK a lot of that.

Interesting since Ron Paul held these same beliefs/attitudes years ago...I thought Ron doesn't hold office anymore? What's the concern?

Rand Paul would LOVE to push his dad's whole agenda but half of that is a fool's crusade so rather than ABOLISH...the plan for a libertarian/Tea is to undermine....underfund...to put the watchdog on such a short leash he can't protect much. It's notpolitically practical to totally abolish Social Security,Medicare...etc...so...they want to "reform" them...meaning big cuts. Getting rid of Public schools is not gonna sell n it's own so they cut funds in various ways and used the Charter School scheme to privitize public schools as an interim step.

There's a lot of Public Lands. The Forestry Service and BLM , in particular...manage those assets. If you appoint "See No Evil" to be in charge...so those eager to make money off such assets can exploit them with NO RULES...the results won't be pretty.

If I buy food at the store...I like to know there's health and sanitation rules. If I eat at a restaurant, I want to know it meets standards. If I fly on an airliner...or watch one fly over my house...I want STANDARDS. There have been no new nuclear power plants built in a long time but there's plenty in operation. Considering Murphy's Law...I want them monitored VERY well. I remember the days when pollution ran unchecked when DDT made rivers barren and species nearly extinct. I remember when in Cleveland...the river was so pollued it caught fire.

Do we really want to regress to some Third World sociopath's dream? Does PATRIOT...mean Me-First and screw everyone else?

Ron Paul's followers scared me away from him - some of them are just insane

Not wanting to spend our grandchildren's future on military adventurism =/= hate the military.

Militaries are expensive things that are always destructive to the economy.

Prior to the Great Entitlement Empire this was a country filled with Clubs and Associations, what these clubs and associations did in both purpose and scope varied from one to another. A good chunk of these were designed to help the community with all kinds of things. From taking kids to doctors, getting help for the homeless, teaching work skills to the unskilled, even helping foreigners become naturalized and meld into American society. It worked well for most of our history. To this day, churches set up communal healthcare funds in case a member of the congregation becomes deathly ill or has some sort of serious accident. Nearly 100% of the money here goes to help the people, can you say that about ANY government program? No, you cannot, just based on the fact that some of that money is going to pay the bureaucracy. I won't even go into misuse, abuse, and outright fraud that government programs are absolutely rife with.

Our founders, along with every single influential person in our history, understood that we are a nation of communities. Who is better suited to know your needs? Your community or Beltway politicians?

-NW

Most communities don't care about the individual's needs , that's why they love eminent domain so they can take what's yours at their price .

Don't like the military? See what happens if we don't have one .

Most communities don't care about the individual's needs , that's why they love eminent domain so they can take what's yours at their price .

Don't like the military? See what happens if we don't have one .

Of course, government has destroyed the community. That was the whole point. You corrupt the super-efficient community and make people dependent on expensive and ineffective government.

Also,

To this day, churches set up communal healthcare funds in case a member of the congregation becomes deathly ill or has some sort of serious accident. Nearly 100% of the money here goes to help the people, can you say that about ANY government program?

Who said anything about not having a military? We could cut military spending in half and still outspend the ENTIRETY of Asia.

http://armscontrolcenter.org/issues/securityspending/articles/2012_topline_global_defense_spending/

-NW

Rand Paul would LOVE to push his dad's whole agenda but half of that is a fool's crusade so rather than ABOLISH...the plan for a libertarian/Tea is to undermine....underfund...to put the watchdog on such a short leash he can't protect much. It's notpolitically practical to totally abolish Social Security,Medicare...etc...so...they want to "reform" them...meaning big cuts. Getting rid of Public schools is not gonna sell n it's own so they cut funds in various ways and used the Charter School scheme to privitize public schools as an interim step.

There's a lot of Public Lands. The Forestry Service and BLM , in particular...manage those assets. If you appoint "See No Evil" to be in charge...so those eager to make money off such assets can exploit them with NO RULES...the results won't be pretty.

If I buy food at the store...I like to know there's health and sanitation rules. If I eat at a restaurant, I want to know it meets standards. If I fly on an airliner...or watch one fly over my house...I want STANDARDS. There have been no new nuclear power plants built in a long time but there's plenty in operation. Considering Murphy's Law...I want them monitored VERY well. I remember the days when pollution ran unchecked when DDT made rivers barren and species nearly extinct. I remember when in Cleveland...the river was so pollued it caught fire.

Do we really want to regress to some Third World sociopath's dream? Does PATRIOT...mean Me-First and screw everyone else?

Actually I don't trust Rand.

i believe ron paul, uncommonly, understands that there are essentially two ways of getting someone to do what you want...persuasion and coercion...

...ron STRONGLY favors (apparently..as i 'know' him only through the teevee, books, etc., attributed to him, etc.) the former...and you goddamned fool republicrats are largely unaware of the distinction and STRONGLY tend towards the latter..)

The American public along with the media demonized this man. Because of that America truly dropped the ball on that one. By this artical though it's obvious you need to be told what to do, who to vote for etc.etc. You need to fit in, I understand.

I guess what you are telling us is that the way you avoid being told what to do and who to vote for, is by following a nut case blindly and have him tell you what hare brained nut to vote for, and then let him tell you what to do. I'm trying, but I am having a bit of trouble following your very strange reasoning there dude.

...you fu cking goddamned fool republicrats will vomit warmongering, non-transparent, busybody, monetary ignoramus after monetary ignoramus at us and when someone a little different comes along you go nuts!...

May I suggest "retards" and "meglamaniacs" as future descriptors?