Employers Can Impose Their Religious Beliefs On Their Employees

Misty

On November 1st, The D.C. Circuit Court upheld a legal challenge to the provision of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) that mandates employer coverage of birth control, arguing that it trammels the expression of religious freedom. While the legal process over the issue isnt final, the decision hands a huge political victory to conservative activists that have long made this argument.

At issue is a lawsuit filed by the owners of an Ohio company named Freshway Foods. Brothers Phil and Frank Gilardi, who place anti-abortion messages on their delivery vehicles, are on board with providing health care coverage for their employees, but they oppose birth control and want to exclude contraception from the companys insurance package.

Because the Affordable Care Act treats birth control as basic preventive care, the Gilardi brothers reached out to TV preacher Pat Robersons legal group, the American Center for Law and Justice, to file suit, which argued that the Gilardis religious beliefs apply to their for-profit business.

The D.C. Circuit found the argument persuasive - the Gilardi brothers can impose their religious beliefs on their employees through their private-sector business. It is, the court said, part of their First Amendment rights.

The ruling is online here.

Link

So what if your employer is a Jehovah's Witness?

Should you be denied coverage for blood transfusions?

Or what if they are a Christian Scientist and believe that you should only be treated by a special form of prayer?

Does this ruling apply to all religions?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, nothing to add but snark.

Yeah, 'cause jobs are so easy to come by these days.

You are correct Marlo. This whine is so inconsequential it isn't a blip on the radar.

Do y'all just get up in the morning in search of a panty wad moment?

Not relevant. If you don't like your employer's way of doing things then don't work there.

so your imployer owns you ?how about religon? politics , how many kids you can or must have ? where dose it stop?

Not relevant. If you don't like your employer's way of doing things then don't work there.

Do you believe that a corporation can be religious?

More from the link in my OP:

But equally important is how radical the D.C. Court's perspective really is. A company's owners are certainly entitled to their spiritual beliefs, but as we discussed in July, companies do not have their own theological perspectives. People can be religious; corporations can't.

As the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals explained over the summer in a related ruling, "The law has long recognized the distinction between the owners of a corporation and the corporation itself. A holding to the contrary - that a for-profit corporation can engage in religious exercise - would eviscerate the fundamental principle that a corporation is a legally distinct entity from its owners."

Today, the D.C. Circuit said the exact opposite.

Or what if they are a Christian Scientist and believe that you should only be treated by a special form of prayer?

A question I have is what if the employers religious beliefs discriminates against the employees religious beliefs? Federal labor laws state that an employee can't be discriminated upon for their religious beliefs. Doesn't the employee in this case have a civil suit against the employer for religious discrimination by violating federal anti discrimination labor laws?

I guess that's true when the only thing you consider consequential is a cold beer.

You well know better than that. you have millions getting health insurance that they want cancelled, skyrocketing rates to them. an abortion of a health bill that you guys own and you are wadded over a guy doing what he thinks is right with his own damned company.

As I said, get over it.

Yes beer is important, but not as important as watching barrycare implode.

Why limit it to religion defining who's who socially between genetic results never duplicated between ancestors and inception to this atmosphere and extinction from it as a species of male and female lifetimes added between the two points of existence as conceived specifically by ancestors added and adding another generated lifetime by actions of reproduction/mating.

Selling artistic licenses to deny what real remains all the time is what citizenship does require of ancestry regardless academia, politics, economics and religion.

You'd have a valid point except the ruling doesn't deny you anything. All it does is keep a religious institution from paying for something that's immoral according to their doctrine.

You're free to join the WONDERFUL and AMAZING ACA exchange if you don't like the benefits they offer!!!!!!

Misty Birth control and blood transfusions aren't even in the same category. You can Live without birth control, and you can buy birth control on your own. If you can not afford to buy birth control on your own, maybe you shouldn't be having sex. I will not understand the lefts obsession with birth control. Are you people Nymphomaniacs or something? Maybe you guys are sluts who have anonymous sex with multiple partners. I know your neither, well I definitely know your not a slut lol.

Do you believe that a corporation can be religious?

More from the link in my OP:

Whether or not a corporation can be religious is not relevant here. This is as simple a matter as not getting paid what you want or not getting the vacation time you want. If your employer does something that makes you not want to work there, and you're not being forced to be there, then what's the issue.

A question I have is what if the employers religious beliefs discriminates against the employees religious beliefs? Federal labor laws state that an employee can't be discriminated upon for their religious beliefs. Doesn't the employee in this case have a civil suit against the employer for religious discrimination by violating federal anti discrimination labor laws?

I would expect someone who's a millionaire business owner would be able to read and understand things such as benefits. There's no religious discrimination happening. A religious person is simply not providing insurance that provides birth control to his employees, and it's to all his employees.....the antithesis of discrimination.

Jehovah Witnesses don't work, they just go to church and when their not there, they are knocking on doors.

But in the mean time...on a TV she bought at Walmart, (where Glen Beck once worked when he was in College, the same College Tim Tebow thought about going to) Sarah Palin simultaneously watched MSNBC on how the REPUBS were completely to blame for the Government shut down, CNN about Trayvon Martin and Fox News about East Jerusalem but there was no mention of global warming disproportionally caused by Israel and the effect it has on the peace loving Palestinian people, while she read a article on gun control (and day dreamed about what has a greater impact...same sex marriage or the Republican war on women) as she ate a Chick-Fil-A sandwich... washing it down with a 64 oz Coke, that she bought at a Koch Brothers franchise, right next to the Catholic Church (where the local Tea Party meets to discuss keeping minorities down, the illegal immigrant problem and the war in Iraq that Haliburton really started) which was built where a old growth forest use to be, that the Red Skins used for burying their dead and as a center for redistributing their wealth until White Christian European males (who Mitt Romney is a direct descendant of) came and stole their land and planted it with genetically altered crops and polluted it and never paid enough taxes on it because they were greedy rich and took advantage of the Bush tax cuts, hoping they could some day build a prison there to warehouse inmates that racist cops rail roaded, and Miley Cyrus in a outrageously sheer pair of pants...without underwear on, danced on Jerry Falwells grave.

As I said, get over it.

Sorry Red, I don't take orders from you.

I will not get over it.

There have been several cases like this now, and they are all most likely headed for the Supreme Court, so they are not 'inconsequential'.

In three other similar cases, the religious owners of companies lost their appeals when the circuit courts ruled business owners forfeit their religious rights when they incorporate.

Of course this ruling was written by Janice Rogers Brown, a far right wing nutcase appointed by George W. Bush, who apparently believes that for-profit corporations have a freedom of religion right.

You'd have a valid point except the ruling doesn't deny you anything. All it does is keep a religious institution from paying for something that's immoral according to their doctrine.

Since when is Freshway Foods a religious institution?

Sorry Red, I don't take orders from you.

I will not get over it.

Never said you did, I am just saying that you are wadding pantys over not much of anything. Court decisions are not always gonna go your way.

That is the "get over it" point.

This is so miniscule in importance that only folks with too much time on their hands are gonna fret over it. Way bigger fish to fry.

Since when is Freshway Foods a religious institution?

You can substitute religious owners of a business as it violates their constitutional rights. Just don't attempt to equate blood transfusions with birth control. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW I would never advocate Unsafe sex. That is why I said people who can not afford to buy their own contraception shouldn't be having sex.

Misty Birth control and blood transfusions aren't even in the same category.

You're missing the point.

The ruling said that the owners of this corporation can deny coverage for something based on their private religious beliefs.

If they have the right to do that, then owners who are Jehovah's Witnesses also have the right to deny coverage for blood transfusions and Christian Scientists would have the right to deny coverage for any medical treatment at all, because their religion forbids it.

The ruling is not limited to any one religion.