Food Stamp Cuts?

hsl

You Heard It,

The pigs have it in Nebraska. Governor Heineman has authorized a food stamp cut. Food stamps are going down to about two thirds of what they were. Sounds like greed again has won the day. And we need to get a job? We need to throw the Republican bums out of office so that they can get a job.

It's horrible economic policy, very short sighted. Again, we're taking money out of the economy and stifling demand/job growth by cutting back subsidies for the people who need it the most. The right is downright foolish when it comes down to creating growth, not to mention being immoral. Many who accept food stamps are the working poor/ with families to care for.

Peace!

Posted · Hidden by lostphoenix, November 3, 2013 - non liberal/troll
Hidden by lostphoenix, November 3, 2013 - non liberal/troll

You idiots, we shouldn't have food stamps at all. Food stamps are the number one reason that many Americans have stopped looking for jobs. Why should I have to pay for somebody else's food. This isn't greed. In fact it's the opposite of greed. Lowering food stamps is taking less away from hard working American people

while simply cutting food stamp revenue is yet another brainless attempt by the right to get reelected...I do support reform.

there is (what I would consider) rampant fraud in this system.

and not just by the people spending them.

Yes. In these hard times it would be a mistake to throw the baby out with the bathwater. There is growing malnutrition problem. A way has to be found to feed the hungry while holding cheats to a minimum.

Corporations won't do it. Churches often do good work but are inadequate. Charities can help somewhat but are opaque compared to government and often become cash cows for management. Government is needed to stave off hunger in America.

People who are receiving and genuinely need public assistance often feel humiliated. Sometimes they compensate for their resultant lack of self-esteem by claiming they are gaming the system. It's a way to deceive themselves that they are the smart ones. They don't have to feel humble any more. But if they're foolish enough to trumpet their self-deception to others, they understandably create resentment.

People who are receiving and genuinely need public assistance often feel humiliated. Sometimes they compensate for their resultant lack of self-esteem by claiming they are gaming the system. It's a way to deceive themselves that they are the smart ones. They don't have to feel humble any more. But if they're foolish enough to trumpet their self-deception to others, they understandably create resentment.

Right on man! If you're a child, it is wrongly in my opinion, thought to be publicly humiliating to know your family is getting public assistance, and if you're a parent, it can be devastating. And it's not anything new. I know, I was the youngest of a pack of eight kids with one parent, luckily my mom was a nurse who was good with finances, knowing what bill to pay, and which one could be skipped. And for those who sit idly by purely gaming the system, the ones I worry about aren't the poor ones at all. Yes, there are derelicts Charlotte, diseased and disfigured drunks, and you can't bring them all in,

make them do what they should, the other day there was this guy, his pants around his ankles in broad day light, and he was dangerously trying to cross the street at a street light with cross walk, he walked head on into the cross walk pole and almost knocked himself out. There I was seeing this, and seeing a police patrol car parked at the local bank, I went up to it and said, take this poor sod off the street before he kills himself - know what they policeman said, I can't. Legally he hasn't done anything wrong.

I think you know, we can't legislate morality. All the same, when someone needs public assistance, there should not be this stigma

of personal humiliation, I mean --- what's the whole freaking point?

Peace!

It's the whole rugged individualism myth as if the US still had a wild frontier!!! Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps!!! Survival of the fittest and Social Darwinism!!! Ayn Rand and her so called "Objectivism" cult of the economic Narcissus. All these swaggering, macho, predatory ideas the Right Wing is always pushing to justify their push toward a more complete Plutocracy as a replacement for Democracy. It poisons society, fosters a culture of bullying and humiliates the weak and unfortunate.

The GOP wants to "save money" by taking social services and safety nets from those who can least bear the burden. 40 million Americans should get off their lazy butts and "get a job." At the same time the GOP is hindering or derailing stimulus money that would make jobs.

Maybe receipients should pool their food stamps and hire a lobby that can buy congressmen.

How many Republican congressmen are living on a poverty level wage?

Food Companies Spend $10 Million to Keep Junk Food Covered By SNAP

.....a lobbyist for the Texas Beverage Association, which desperately wanted all of its drinks available for sale to the fastest-growing market in America: the food-stamp market, which has quadrupled from $20 billion to $80 billion in the past 12 years. Companies such as Coca-Cola, Kraft and Mars have spent more than $10 million in the past several years lobbying Congress to keep their products available to those using food stamps. “No clear standards exist for defining foods as good or bad,” the lobbyist said.....

http://news.yahoo.com/food-companies-spend-10-million-keep-junk-food-220551522.html

.....a lobbyist for the Texas Beverage Association, which desperately wanted all of its drinks available for sale to the fastest-growing market in America: the food-stamp market, which has quadrupled from $20 billion to $80 billion in the past 12 years. Companies such as Coca-Cola, Kraft and Mars have spent more than $10 million in the past several years lobbying Congress to keep their products available to those using food stamps. “No clear standards exist for defining foods as good or bad,” the lobbyist said.....

http://news.yahoo.com/food-companies-spend-10-million-keep-junk-food-220551522.html

Maybe they should lobby the FDA. They want to take hydrogenated trans-fat off the market as a health hazard.

The real desperation lies in the growing numbers who need to use food stamps. It bespeaks of the poverty growing more widespread by the year. Many corporations pay wages so low that their employees qualify for food stamps. In other words, these corporations use taxpayer dollars to keep their employees well fed enough to continue work.

At the other end, junk food producers are "desperate" to profit from the growing numbers on food stamps. Since junk food is the cheapest food, (and the unhealthiest) those unfortunate enough to need food stamps are especially vulnerable.

The stupendous irony is that these corporations are now lobbying to profit further from the poverty they lobbied to create. Corporations and the handful of ultra wealthy individuals that run them are creating new financial heights for themselves and creating a race to the bottom for everyone else.

food stamp fraud is under 3%. I have no problem supplying anyone who needs it with money to buy food.

And you can bet the grocery store owners and managers love it.

What is allowed so far isn't enuf. I know an elderly woman who lives alone and gets $170 a month from DHS.

It's gone in 3 weeks, and she's frugal. Her ssi leaves her with so little after the rent and elec/phone bill that $2 co-pays for her meds is a burden, she often leaves prescriptions unpicked up.

$5 for 12oz pack of bacon, $4 a lb for chicken wings, $4 for a loaf of bread that lasts 2 days max, $2 a lb for tomatoes...

What we pay for food stamps is teeny next to the unnecessary expenses for the military machine.

I'll never be against it.

• 2 weeks later...

food stamp fraud is under 3%. I have no problem supplying anyone who needs it with money to buy food.

What is allowed so far isn't enuf. I know an elderly woman who lives alone and gets $170 a month from DHS.

It's gone in 3 weeks, and she's frugal. Her ssi leaves her with so little after the rent and elec/phone bill that $2 co-pays for her meds is a burden, she often leaves prescriptions unpicked up.

$5 for 12oz pack of bacon, $4 a lb for chicken wings, $4 for a loaf of bread that lasts 2 days max, $2 a lb for tomatoes...

What we pay for food stamps is teeny next to the unnecessary expenses for the military machine.

Hell yes, there are people who foolhardily game the system... but the numbers are so nominal it has no economic effect. Compare that to what it does regarding bringing dollars into the economy. You don't have to have a great education to realize that food stamps ain't no way to live. I agree with you, people who need help don't game the system like those who absolutely do not do. I don't know what the ratio is, but what the poor get is a tiny percentage of what the rich do regarding subsidy.

Silly liberals, dont you know that the real problem is the billionaires dont have enough and the poor have too much?

That is not a joke, this is not an exaggeration, this is what they believe.

Personally, I consider shooting someone with a gun and taking away their food stamps the same thing, one way you die instantly, the other takes longer, both have the same purpose.

The intensified nonsense spewed by the media regarding food stamps is striking. The so called savings - 4 billion a year over 10 years = 40 billion. The 4 billion a year is tiny insignificant percent sliver of the budget. Basically it comes down to zero savings on the backs of people who are hurting. Then, there's all this noise about how people don't want to work, how they are takers, and how they want handouts.

Meanwhile we have a system that subsidizes the rich. We force workers to compete with third world countries that pay close to nothing. But we all know this damn too well.

Global markets are fine if it means efficiency but it don't. Economic systems need to be local not global. What the US used to be good at was delivering things to the world other countries needed but could not produce themselves. That is the way it should be. There has to be a dynamic that provides jobs, middle class jobs, in each country.

• 1 month later...

Actually, I shouldn't be writing stuff like this since I was in a university level academic credit dispute and also self-cancelled a publication. I suspect I was lined up for radical spin in some way that was pretty sneaky, and I really have to be a 'yes' man right now. Hans Lillegard

This is hard for me to say but I just got released out of lock up. It's not easy for me to just go out and 'find a job'. On my last day I was given $75 to live off of. I applied for assitance which took 45 days and I'm barely living off of that. The GOP just wants to slash our American rights and doesn't want us to recover.

I'm all for helping humans but the pavement apes have learned to become life time members of these programs . We can't keep paying them to commit crimes against us while we are supporting them.

This is hard for me to say but I just got released out of lock up. It's not easy for me to just go out and 'find a job'. On my last day I was given $75 to live off of. I applied for assitance which took 45 days and I'm barely living off of that. The GOP just wants to slash our American rights and doesn't want us to recover.

Dayum bro you have some nasty teefeses. Maybe use your FREE healthcare plan to get them fixed. Remember no grape drank or kool aid for 3 hours after leaving the dentist in your case construction crew.

• 2 weeks later...