Employers cutting hours claim

First of all, there is absolutely zero proof of hours being cut. But regardless this has always been a strange argument. The nutjobs are standing up for business owners who have over 50 employees and don't offer health coverage. Who works at a job that employs that many and doesn't offer coverage? I don't know anyone. Sounds like sweat shop conditions. I'm glad they're required to offer it now, but I suspect 95% plus already did.

First of all, there is absolutely zero proof of hours being cut. But regardless this has always been a strange argument. The nutjobs are standing up for business owners who have over 50 employees and don't offer health coverage. Who works at a job that employs that many and doesn't offer coverage? I don't know anyone. Sounds like sweat shop conditions. I'm glad they're required to offer it now, but I suspect 95% plus already did.

Emphasis on the word "did."

Fast food chains, retail stores, etc have been playing this game for years. Offering health insurance and other bennies to all full time employees. As premiums rose steadily higher, they cut back on the number of full time employees by cutting hours. Its extremely rare to find an hourly worker at a retail establishment for instance, working over 30 hours a week. I'm not sure if this changes under Obamacare, if an employer is mandated to cover his part time employees as well as those at the admin and managerial levels who have been the only employees benefiting from employer provided health insurance.

Fast food chains, retail stores, etc have been playing this game for years. Offering health insurance and other bennies to all full time employees. As premiums rose steadily higher, they cut back on the number of full time employees by cutting hours. Its extremely rare to find an hourly worker at a retail establishment for instance, working over 30 hours a week. I'm not sure if this changes under Obamacare, if an employer is mandated to cover his part time employees as well as those at the admin and managerial levels who have been the only employees benefiting from employer provided health insurance.

You mean highly elastic, low profit margin businesses doing everything they can to survive? The nerve of them! They should simply go out of business and force women to cook homecooked meals and sandwiches like the good old days.

OMG!... the ignorance of the libturds are astounding!

99.9% of businesses DID offer healthcare for their employees until your boy came along! He made so expensive that these businesses can't afford it! What part of this don't you understand?

You mean highly elastic, low profit margin businesses doing everything they can to survive? The nerve of them! They should simply go out of business and force women to cook homecooked meals and sandwiches like the good old days.

That's not the whole point. The point is, it's not about Obamacare. It's business as usual.

First of all, there is absolutely zero proof of hours being cut.

Other than the countless articles and columns proving exactly that.

Including by former Obama supporters.

Is this the best the liberal-left can do, utter imbeciles and shameless liars? :glare:

That's not the whole point. The point is, it's not about Obamacare. It's business as usual.

Can't have a thread without a troll telling blatant lies.

Emphasis on the word "did."

Emphasis on the word "proof."

I was hoping we were going to see a massive move by corporations to the 30 hour work week. Tsk!! Disappointment. Actually there was a study earlier this year that claimed five or six companys down sized to a 30 hour week, but then there was no proof they did it because of Obama Care. Just a few hard line rightwing employers laying off anyone with an Obama sticker in the parking lot.

Other than the countless articles and columns proving exactly that.

Including by former Obama supporters.

Is this the best the liberal-left can do, utter imbeciles and shameless liars? :glare:

Can't have a thread without a troll telling blatant lies.

PROOF!!! LIAR!!!!!!!!

ok, here's a list of 300 companies saying they will cut hours, why say it if not thinking about it,,,,,,,

ObamaCare Employer Mandate: A List Of Cuts To Work Hours, Jobs

662 Comments

By Jed Graham, Investor's Business Daily

Posted 10/17/2013 01:02 PM ET

ObamaCare's impact on jobs is hotly debated by politicians and economists. Critics say the Affordable Care Act, with its employer mandate to provide health insurance, gives businesses an incentive to cut workers' hours. This year, report after report has rolled in about employers restricting work hours to fewer than 30 per week — the point where the mandate kicks in. Data also point to a record low workweek in low-wage industries.

In the interest of an informed debate, we've compiled a list of job actions with strong proof that ObamaCare's employer mandate is behind cuts to work hours or staffing levels. As of Oct. 17, our ObamaCare scorecard included 351 employers. Here's our latest analysis, highlighting the consequences of cuts to work hours at more than 100 school districts due to ObamaCare's employer mandate. Recently, we examined Indiana's 10th Amendment challenge to the employer mandate. IBD also explained why the employer mandate will undercut the goals of ObamaCare — affordable, reliable coverage — even in cases when employers don't cut work hours. The ObamaCare list methodology is explained further in our initial coverage; click on the employer names in the list below for links to supporting records, mostly news accounts or official documents.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/politics-obamacare/101713-669013-obamacare-employer-mandate-a-list-of-cuts-to-work-hours-jobs.htm#ixzz2j7rIG9kA

Not so sure about that, the new minimum requirement for healthcare insurance is in fact more expensive, more coverage, more expense, mandated under ACA.

i haven't seen any PROOF of that either.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/report/2013/10/23/77537/the-affordable-care-acts-lower-than-projected-premiums-will-save-190-billion/

here's my concern, realize you are retired, think back to when to when you made $30K, could you afford these premiums???

From your link,,,,

Consider a typical individual making $30,000 a year. That individual’s premium contribution would be capped at 8.37 percent of income, or $2,512. If the premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan is $4,700, then the tax credit would be the difference between this premium and the individual’s contribution, or $2,188. But if the premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan turns out to be only $3,936, then the tax credit would be $1,424.

That's $209/month for the premium then who knows how many thousands for the deductible and out of pocket.

If you want to put McDonald's, Home Depot, Starbucks and Kroger on the list of low profit margin businesses which are barely surviving, go ahead. You don't seem to have an issue with being wrong 99% of the time so what's one more time matter.

And by the way, online graduate, it wasn't a commentary for or against the practice, I was simply responding to the OP that cutting hours to save on the cost of providing expensive health care is nothing new.

And doesn't your wife work? Something about a six-figure salary that enabled you to quit your job and go back to school? So what's all this bullshit about women staying home like in the good old days? Are we supposed to pity you because your wife works outside the home makes more money than you do?

If this arrangement leaves you feeling like a loser, that's on you to get over.

I have no idea why you felt the need to throw in your irrelevant two cents. I guess your just an asshole that way.

I can't wait until this whole Obamacare mess is straightened out and we have universal health care like every other developed society on earth. Then we won't need medicare, medicaid, state paid medical, etc.

Yea, we're moving toward "universal health care" while other countries are admitting it's failure and moving to a private insurance system.

All liberals care about is relieving themselves of the responsibility of planning and paying for their own needs.

I can't wait until this whole Obamacare mess is straightened out and we have universal health care like every other developed society on earth. Then we won't need medicare, medicaid, state paid medical, etc.

Second rate healthcare for everyone except for those who can afford it, glad I will fall in the latter category,,,,

here's my concern, realize you are retired, think back to when to when you made $30K, could you afford these premiums???

From your link,,,,

Consider a typical individual making $30,000 a year. That individual’s premium contribution would be capped at 8.37 percent of income, or $2,512. If the premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan is $4,700, then the tax credit would be the difference between this premium and the individual’s contribution, or $2,188. But if the premium for the second-lowest-cost silver plan turns out to be only $3,936, then the tax credit would be $1,424.

That's $209/month for the premium then who knows how many thousands for the deductible and out of pocket.

Not a lot different than the way its been. Due to a pre-existing condition that has long ceased to be an issue, my insurance premium right before I moved from the states, for just myself was $769/month with a $2500 deductible. My co-pay for a visit to the GP was $30. The co-pay for an ER visit was $500 and if it turned out I had to be admitted into the hospital, my coverage would have been capped at $20,000. I was told that I was fortunate to get any coverage at all, despite the fact that the pre-existing condition was over 15 years old. There was also nothing stopping them from denying me coverage on any number of technicalities.

From what I can tell, I'd do a whole lot better under ACA. The $209/month alone sounds like a breath of fresh air.

I get the idea that most of you never paid much attention to the cost of health insurance before Obamacare.

Yea, we're moving toward "universal health care" while other countries are admitting it's failure and moving to a private insurance system.

All liberals care about is relieving themselves of the responsibility of planning and paying for their own needs.

What countries are those?

More specifically, what countries with socialized medicine haven't also had private insurance options operating outside of the system all along?

You make it sound as if its always been an either/or proposition.

Not a lot different than the way its been. Due to a pre-existing condition that has long ceased to be an issue, my insurance premium right before I moved from the states, for just myself was $769/month with a $2500 deductible. My co-pay for a visit to the GP was $30. The co-pay for an ER visit was $500 and if it turned out I had to be admitted into the hospital, my coverage would have been capped at $20,000. I was told that I was fortunate to get any coverage at all, despite the fact that the pre-existing condition was over 15 years old. There was also nothing stopping them from denying me coverage on any number of technicalities.

From what I can tell, I'd do a whole lot better under ACA. The $209/month alone sounds like a breath of fresh air.

I get the idea that most of you never paid much attention to the cost of health insurance before Obamacare.

With the wife having breast cancer twice we have been up on insurance lingo for quite awhile. You won't hear me complain about those few really good parts of the ACA.

The MANDATE is really the only problem I have,,,

WHATS NEXT???? This could get really out of hand,,,

That's how it is now. The more money you have the better care you get.

Not sure I buy that, the wife worked for a county hospital in So Cal and anyone who walked(or crawled) in the door had full access to the whole hospital, American or not.

What countries are those?

More specifically, what countries with socialized medicine haven't also had private insurance options operating outside of the system all along?

You make it sound as if its always been an either/or proposition.

We've been though this before... your country being one.

Your country is cutting NHS coverages and telling people to buy private insurance to make up the difference.