The Cry Of The True Republican

I am a genetic Republican.

Five generations of Tafts have served our nation as unwaveringly stalwart Republicans, from Alphonso Taft, who served as attorney general in the late 19th century, through William Howard Taft, who not only was the only person to be both president of the United States and chief justice of the United States but also served as the chief civil administrator of the Philippines and secretary of war, to my cousin, Robert Taft, a two-term governor of Ohio.

As I write, a photograph of my grandfather, Senator Robert Alphonso Taft, looks across at me from the wall of my office. He led the Republican Party in the United States Senate in the 1940s and early 1950s, ran for the Republican nomination for president three times and was known as “Mr. Republican.” If he were alive today, I can assure you he wouldn’t even recognize the modern Republican Party, which has repeatedly brought the United States of America to the edge of a fiscal cliff — seemingly with every intention of pushing us off the edge.

Throughout my family’s more than 170-year legacy of public service, Republicans have represented the voice of fiscal conservatism. Republicans have been the adults in the room. Yet somehow the current generation of party activists has managed to do what no previous Republicans have been able to do — position the Democratic Party as the agents of fiscal responsibility.

Speaking through the night, Senator Ted Cruz, with heavy-lidded, sleep-deprived eyes, conveyed not the libertarian element in Republican philosophy that advocates for smaller government and less intrusion into the personal lives of citizens, but a new, virulent strain of empty nihilism: “blow it up if we can’t get what we want.”

This recent display of bomb-throwing obstructionism by Republicans in Congress evokes another painful, historically embarrassing chapter in the Republican Party — that of Senator Joseph McCarthy, chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, whose anti-Communist crusade was allowed by Republican elders to expand unchecked, unnecessarily and unfairly tarnishing the reputations of thousands of people with “Red Scare” accusations of Communist affiliation.

Finally Senator McCarthy was brought up short during the questioning of the United States Army’s chief counsel, Joseph N. Welch, who at one point demanded the senator’s attention, then said: “Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness.” He later added: “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

Watching the Republican Party use the full faith and credit of the United States to try to roll back Obamacare, watching its members threaten not to raise the debt limit — which Warren Buffett rightly called a “political weapon of mass destruction” — to repeal a tax on medical devices, I so wanted to ask a similar question: “Have you no sense of responsibility? At long last, have you left no sense of responsibility?”

There is more than a passing similarity between Joseph McCarthy and Ted Cruz, between McCarthyism and the Tea Party movement. The Republican Party survived McCarthyism because, ultimately, its excesses caused it to burn out. And eventually party elders in the mold of my grandfather were able to realign the party with its brand promise: The Republican Party is (or should be) the Stewardship Party. The Republican brand is (or should be) about responsible behavior. The Republican party is (or should be) at long last, about decency.

What a long way we have yet to go.

Five generations of Tafts have served our nation as unwaveringly stalwart Republicans, from Alphonso Taft, who served as attorney general in the late 19th century, through William Howard Taft, who not only was the only person to be both president of the United States and chief justice of the United States but also served as the chief civil administrator of the Philippines and secretary of war, to my cousin, Robert Taft, a two-term governor of Ohio.

As I write, a photograph of my grandfather, Senator Robert Alphonso Taft, looks across at me from the wall of my office. He led the Republican Party in the United States Senate in the 1940s and early 1950s, ran for the Republican nomination for president three times and was known as “Mr. Republican.” If he were alive today, I can assure you he wouldn’t even recognize the modern Republican Party, which has repeatedly brought the United States of America to the edge of a fiscal cliff — seemingly with every intention of pushing us off the edge.

Throughout my family’s more than 170-year legacy of public service, Republicans have represented the voice of fiscal conservatism. Republicans have been the adults in the room. Yet somehow the current generation of party activists has managed to do what no previous Republicans have been able to do — position the Democratic Party as the agents of fiscal responsibility.

Speaking through the night, Senator Ted Cruz, with heavy-lidded, sleep-deprived eyes, conveyed not the libertarian element in Republican philosophy that advocates for smaller government and less intrusion into the personal lives of citizens, but a new, virulent strain of empty nihilism: “blow it up if we can’t get what we want.”

This recent display of bomb-throwing obstructionism by Republicans in Congress evokes another painful, historically embarrassing chapter in the Republican Party — that of Senator Joseph McCarthy, chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, whose anti-Communist crusade was allowed by Republican elders to expand unchecked, unnecessarily and unfairly tarnishing the reputations of thousands of people with “Red Scare” accusations of Communist affiliation.

Finally Senator McCarthy was brought up short during the questioning of the United States Army’s chief counsel, Joseph N. Welch, who at one point demanded the senator’s attention, then said: “Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness.” He later added: “Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

Watching the Republican Party use the full faith and credit of the United States to try to roll back Obamacare, watching its members threaten not to raise the debt limit — which Warren Buffett rightly called a “political weapon of mass destruction” — to repeal a tax on medical devices, I so wanted to ask a similar question: “Have you no sense of responsibility? At long last, have you left no sense of responsibility?”

There is more than a passing similarity between Joseph McCarthy and Ted Cruz, between McCarthyism and the Tea Party movement. The Republican Party survived McCarthyism because, ultimately, its excesses caused it to burn out. And eventually party elders in the mold of my grandfather were able to realign the party with its brand promise: The Republican Party is (or should be) the Stewardship Party. The Republican brand is (or should be) about responsible behavior. The Republican party is (or should be) at long last, about decency.

A long way to go . . . to where?

What is the end game of your progressive agenda, skews?

When America is beaten down will the Chinese finally get boycotted for polluting the sky we have shared all along? Will the African slave traders and pirates get a good finger-wagging at last?

Those whale hunters and seal beaters?

Maybe the American Progressive will finally notice the "honor killings" and beaten women traipsing all over the middle east.

First things first though. Keep telling me and my friends and family that we're all shit for a generation or two.

See how that plays out then grow some balls and try that shit on somebody without a reason to not shoot you.

I believe that was more than satisfactorily answered in his post, in fact in the paragraph immediately preceding the statement to which you responded.

Maybe you missed it, or maybe you can't understand it, or maybe you're just ignoring it.

>The Republican Party is (or should be) the Stewardship Party. The Republican brand is (or should be) about responsible behavior. The Republican party is (or should be) at long last, about decency.<

What is the end game of your progressive agenda, skews?

When America is beaten down will the Chinese finally get boycotted for polluting the sky we have shared all along? Will the African slave traders and pirates get a good finger-wagging at last?

Those whale hunters and seal beaters?

Maybe the American Progressive will finally notice the "honor killings" and beaten women traipsing all over the middle east.

First things first though. Keep telling me and my friends and family that we're all shit for a generation or two.

See how that plays out then grow some balls and try that shit on somebody without a reason to not shoot you.

You're really very emotional aren't you?

I believe that was more than satisfactorily answered in his post, in fact in the paragraph immediately preceding the statement to which you responded.

Maybe you missed it, or maybe you can't understand it, or maybe you're just ignoring it.

>The Republican Party is (or should be) the Stewardship Party. The Republican brand is (or should be) about responsible behavior. The Republican party is (or should be) at long last, about decency.<

Ignored. Good guess.

You're an idiot but here goes anyway. Skews is a known and historied progressive. I am more commenting on him than the article.

Thanks for not practicing what you preach: paying attention.

You're really very emotional aren't you?

But why???? :(

You can say that as an intended insult as it suits you: ineffectually stabbing.

I just wrote words eloquently laid out as any competent writer can do. Thank you for noticing.

Ignored. Good guess.

You're an idiot but here goes anyway. Skews is a known and historied progressive. I am more commenting on him than the article.

Thanks for not practicing what you preach: paying attention.

But why???? :(

You can say that as an intended insult as it suits you: ineffectually stabbing.

I just wrote words eloquently laid out as any competent writer can do. Thank you for noticing.

Yes, you wax poetically.

And you are the battle cry of the Democrat Party..... You willingly surrender your rights & freedoms to the Federal Government----Because you lack the courage, talent or desire to be responsible for yourself and manage your own life.... Instead you choose to hide in a Nanny collective.

Unfortunately for you Skews..... There are still people in this country that can fathom an existence of self-reliance, and personal responsibility.... When we die off, then you can celebrate.

tumblr_mvb2277ZJJ1spr2qwo1_500.jpg

I am 68 and My wife is 64. Why should we have abortion and birth control in our insurance. It is impossible to use it.

Your lies are foolish and stupid. This is the Alinsky method. Tell big lies often enough and they will be believed. That was what Hitler used. So are you progressives really Nazi's. You are using their methods.

Hey moonbat, almost every accusation McCarthy made has been proven to be factually true.

There was a huge Communist underground of American traitors, and the liberals defended them against even moderate anti-Communists.

Skews is at it again with the straw man argument about what Republicans believe. That is the Alinsky method. Demonize the opponent. Does this particular end justify this particular means. Boiled down that means anything that works to discredit the opposition. Skews does this all the time. Like Lenin said, "Promises are like pie crusts made to be broken." In other words lie all you want if it fits the circumstances.

Continued division keeps the same people and game in play. Neither left nor right give two chits about our country going down the sewer. Keep playing their game and the results will continue to be the same, regardless of which side of the fence they created you may find yourself on.

Skews is at it again with the straw man argument about what Republicans believe. That is the Alinsky method. Demonize the opponent. Does this particular end justify this particular means. Boiled down that means anything that works to discredit the opposition. Skews does this all the time. Like Lenin said, "Promises are like pie crusts made to be broken." In other words lie all you want if it fits the circumstances.

That is the decades-old tactic of the Left.

Lie for The Cause.

Because they know full well almost no one would support them if they were honest.

Lie for The Cause.

Because they know full well almost no one would support them if they were honest.

Actions speak louder than words. We see what Republicans say and what they do. We see what Democrats say and what they do. Democrats have won the presidency twice.

tumblr_mvb2277ZJJ1spr2qwo1_500.jpg

What a joke this image is.

Actions speak louder than words. We see what Republicans say and what they do. We see what Democrats say and what they do. Democrats have won the presidency twice.

Lol. Are you going to try and deny Obama's series of lies? Clinton?

Democrats win by buying votes with other people's money.

If Republicans had anything worth buying Romney and Ryan would be large and in charge right now.

As of the last recount of the recount before it, they had lost again.

Seems the news of those results are slow getting out to some....

So you can't refute the fact that democrats buy votes with other people's money? Yea I suppose that would be hard to refute wouldn't it?

Lie for The Cause.

Actions speak louder than words. We see what Republicans say and what they do. We see what Democrats say and what they do.

The Tea Party, for example, showed no signs of racism, but that didn't stop lying trolls like you from trying to smear them as racist.

On the other hand, almost every promise Obama made about his health care fiasco was a blatant lie.

Yet you still support him.

Democrats have won the presidency twice.

And did so on the basis of many undeniable lies. So?

See you next couple of elections, troll.

Hey moonbat, almost every accusation McCarthy made has been proven to be factually true.

There was a huge Communist underground of American traitors, and the liberals defended them against even moderate anti-Communists.

If a level-headed person had investigated communists in America, no one would have fought the investigation. It was McCarthy's anti-American tactics that ruined the investigation. He was one wigged-out crazy person with an alcohol problem.

If a level-headed person had investigated communists in America, no one would have fought the investigation. It was McCarthy's anti-American tactics that ruined the investigation. He was one wigged-out crazy person with an alcohol problem.

Do you do anything except lie off the top of your head?

The precise reason that McCarthy arose was because the liberal-left was so vicious in protecting suspected Communists that "level headed" conservatives deferred.

As Whitaker Chambers documented in "Witness."

I am 68 and My wife is 64. Why should we have abortion and birth control in our insurance. It is impossible to use it.

Your lies are foolish and stupid. This is the Alinsky method. Tell big lies often enough and they will be believed. That was what Hitler used. So are you progressives really Nazi's. You are using their methods.

So a couple in their 20s or 30s should be denied it, because you don't use it? Or an employee should be denied insurance coverage for it, if their employer has a religious bias against it?

What is on that image might not be comfortable but they are not lies. It was not Democrats pushing for the religious exemption of birth control, It is not Democrats that are anti-abortion and it is not Democrats who would cut programs like SNAP and WIC.