Where's the evidence of starvation before Welfare???

Vegas

After listening to Shitoa flap his mouth about senior citizens going hungry without welfare on another thread, I was reminded how a while back I looked extensively for stats that would provide documented evidence of how many people died of starvation in America before Welfare. Not starvation from eating disorders, abuse, or some medical disorder but starvation due to lack of resources. I looked again. I could only come across 3 people. That was in the Great Depression era. I looked from the 19th century to the present. Nothing, but those 3.

Now, if you guys can find some documented proof that the poor and elderly did indeed starve to death in our country due to lack of resources, please post it here. I want to see it. Good luck.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to Shitoa flap his mouth about senior citizens going hungry without welfare on another thread, I was reminded how a while back I looked extensively for stats that would provide documented evidence of how many people died of starvation in America before Welfare. Not starvation from eating disorders, abuse, or some medical disorder but starvation due to lack of resources. I looked again. I could only come across 3 people. That was in the Great Depression era. I looked from the 19th century to the present. Nothing, but those 3.

Now, if you guys can find some documented proof that the poor and elderly did indeed starve to death in our country due to lack of resources, please post it here. I want to see it. Good luck.

During the depression, there were kids with rickets and scurvy due to mal nutrition.

On their behalf, I apologize that they did not die in order to prove your point, you unremittingly stewpid little monkey.

I found this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/149yg8/how_many_americans_died_of_hunger_during_the/

It lists 20 known cases of starvation; in 1934, there were 110 deaths caused by hunger in New York City in 1931.

I have seen these numbers before and they look accurate.

You should also look into Mal-nutrition, anemia and other illnesses that would result from the lack of food.

I'd love to see someone provide evidence that welfare has brought down starvation rates or kept people from stealing to buy food.

I'd love to see someone provide evidence that welfare has brought down starvation rates or kept people from stealing to buy food.

I would also love to see someone prove the negative.

Firsts are COOL!

You didn't try very hard

You just put his epitaph writer out of work.

I would also love to see someone prove the negative.

Firsts are COOL!

You just put his epitaph writer out of work.

Should be easy to use crime rates and starvation rates before and after the Great Society. Of course there's the postwar boom's affect on poverty(nothing to do with the Great Society) and incarceration rates have risen(nothing to do with the Great Society).

President Herbert Hoover declared, "Nobody is actually starving. The hoboes are better fed than they have ever been." But in New York City in 1931, there were 20 known cases of starvation; in 1934, there were 110 deaths caused by hunger. There were so many accounts of people starving in New York that the West African nation of Cameroon sent $3.77 in relief.

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/learning_history/children_depression/depression_children_menu.cfm

You didn't try very hard

This was the great depression, just as I had noted. So aside from these 3 years what was going on before and after? I would think if starvation was prominent back in the day before Welfare, wouldn't we see some good evidence of it...aside from extreme conditions like the Depression?

Should be easy to use crime rates and starvation rates before and after the Great Society. Of course there's the postwar boom's affect on poverty(nothing to do with the Great Society) and incarceration rates have risen(nothing to do with the Great Society).

So that's your final position, then? You asked for the impossible?

Thanks.

This was the great depression, just as I had noted. So aside from these 3 years what was going on before and after? I would think if starvation was prominent back in the day before Welfare, wouldn't we see some good evidence of it...aside from extreme conditions like the Depression?

Go ahead and link us to the information which requires us to defend the notion that welfare was created to end mass starvation in the United States, strawman.

If you only had a brain... You need to see the wizard, son.

There's also a lot more help available today...."proportionately"

Maybe that explains the drop. Thanks.

Go ahead and link us to the information which requires us to defend the notion that welfare was created to end mass starvation in the United States, strawman.

If you only had a brain... You need to see the wizard, son.

siggghhhh...you libs need a special education teacher. I never said welfare was meant to end starvation. What I implied, which is pretty obvious to anyone who knows how to read, that welfare does not prevent starvation. Do you see the difference? Do you know how many times I have to listen to libs get all dramatic and theatrical about how the elderly and children are all going to die of starvation in the streets unless we expnad welfare benefits. Ohhh the drama of it all.

I don't get it. I'm young enough to still get an erection without pharmaceuticals.

That explains soo much...

siggghhhh...you libs need a special education teacher. I never said welfare was meant to end starvation. What I implied, which is pretty obvious to anyone who knows how to read, that welfare does not prevent starvation. Do you see the difference? Do you know how many times I have to listen to libs get all dramatic and theatrical about how the elderly and children are all going to die of starvation in the streets unless we expnad welfare benefits. Ohhh the drama of it all.

Welfare can't stop all starvation, but it helps a lot. FDR takes a lot of heat, but his programs fed a lot of family that wouldn't eaten otherwise.

Welfare can't stop all starvation, but it helps a lot. FDR takes a lot of heat, but his programs fed a lot of family that wouldn't eaten otherwise.

You had to bring this guy up. Now Cannon's going to come in and masturbate while he types up what FDR did without providing any specifics.

That explains soo much...

Thats where your logic is flawed. Yes, he provided benefits for families to eat. But you are assuming, and a very big assumption, that these families would not have eaten otherwise. How do you know? History shows they did. Before FDR, there wasn't a whole lot of starvation. At least I don't see it as some regular thing that happened back then. Women dying during labor was more common than starvation.

I don't get it. I'm young enough to still get an erection without pharmaceuticals.

Those were the days.

Kissinger was a master of diplomacy.

I never said welfare was meant to end starvation.

Only in your Op, son.

Only in your OP.

Well, and your subsequent post...

You had to bring this guy up. Now Cannon's going to come in and masturbate while he types up what FDR did without providing any specifics.

There is plenty of documentation on FDR. Considering he is often regarded as one of the greatest presidents we've had, you may wish to read up if you want to continue debating here.

http://www.history.com/topics/new-deal

He put starving families to work with the WPA. He royally pissed off the Unions and helped build the infrastructure of freeways that we use now. There is a lot more there.

Do you know how many times I have to listen to libs get all dramatic and theatrical about how the elderly and children are all going to die of starvation in the streets unless we expnad welfare benefits. Ohhh the drama of it all.

I'm against welfare. It's racist, destructive and stupid. It was created by a racist to maintain apartheid.

I am an FDR democrat. FDR created work for people, using wall street corporations to do infrastructural projects that paid for themselves over and over, for generations to come.

The folks who picked up the tab had a double blessing. The projects paid for themselves, AND they were raised by parents with jobs. Win/win.

FDR created 50 years of prosperity that took reaganomics 30 years to sabotage.