Eric Idle's letter to America

Carl Reiner on Twitter last week, worried about the current Government shutdown, said this was cause for great concern in the world’s leading democracy. And I thought, leading? Who’s following? The answer would appear to be no one.

After one of the recent school shootings a young mother said to me, “What must you think of us? You must think we’re all mad.” Mad certainly, but not all of you.

Half of America seems to be entirely enviable, movies, books, TV, arts, liberal democratic institutions, great centers of learning and research, gay marriage, social freedoms, etc. etc.

The other half does seem to be, well, nuts.

Currently you appear to be almost in a state of civil war. If one party can shut down the government then the social compact to rule is broken. In most other democracies this simply could not happen. In the UK for example, the Government would dissolve and the Prime Minister would call for an immediate general election, which would be held within three weeks. (Yes that quickly.) With your fixed terms you do not have this benefit. You must limp on to the next overlong election cycle and then waste a whole year of execrable television and billions of dollars on it. This is a very expensive and not very flexible system of democracy that no one else wants to follow.

The Mad Haters Tea Party throws everything overboard, not just the tea. The Captain, the crew, the ships dog… Pirates could hardly do worse.

It seems especially perverse that people purporting to be Christian, a religion that vows to help the poor and heal the sick, should be so violently against helping the poor and healing the sick. Followers of a religion that preaches forgiveness and turning the other cheek, demand the right for the outright insane to own more and more weapons. Nuts, I’m afraid.

Now some people get very angry when a non-American like me dares to talk about America. “Well piss off then, go somewhere else” they say. Forgetting that we who live amongst you are the ones who like you the most, and if you don’t listen to what we think then the Ostrichization of America will continue. Bend over, head in sand, hand on heart, salute flag.

The great thing about America has always been your ability to rally round in difficult times, especially under attack and create new solutions to modern problems. Of your current state The Founding Fathers would be horrified and terrified. Nobody asked the Mothers. You may need to re-evaluate. The Constitution may need updating. It’s not the Bible. Then, neither is the Bible.

We need you to prosper. You can rule the world, or you can ruin it. Time to wake up. We really need you.

Pretty please.

From http://www.ericidle.com/blog/?p=507

cc

An opinion piece? Really? Give me a fucking break. Getting real tired of this Partisan bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and going blind could see this is both sides fault. Grow Up.

Yes. If you get rid of half your brain you can easily understand the Dems complicity in this fustercluck.

cc

Yes. If you get rid of half your brain you can easily understand the Dems complicity in this fustercluck.

cc

Listen you mindless partisan hack. Stop trying to kid anyone. You have no idea whats going on and are just doing what the leftist MSM media is telling you to do and think. You are no different than the Right Wingers here who watch only Fox for their news.

Listen you mindless partisan hack. Stop trying to kid anyone. You have no idea whats going on and are just doing what the leftist MSM media is telling you to do and think. You are no different than the Right Wingers here who watch only Fox for their news.

Piss up a rope. I'm fully capable of taking in information and reaching my own conclusions.

cc

Piss up a rope. I'm fully capable of taking in information and reaching my own conclusions.

cc

Do you only take in verbal information? You do not watch life balance self contained to this moment only while presently your own body changes inside out first and all you see is outside in?

Half blind and still have full vision. shame you cannot think with all 6 senses functioning at once. You have to verbally select which one you use at a time.

felix proves once again that he has nothing intelligent to say...can't understand simple concepts...and is nothing more than an angry retard. And I do mean retard. I don't use that term in his case as a perjorative, i'm being specific and precise. The fkker is a retard.

As for Eric the half bee, he's bloody spot on, isn't he?

The only thing i'd challenge is his choice for us to rule the world...we don't..and we shouldn't. we don't deserve to run the world, and many other countries have a much more positive effect on the world than us. Many countries beat us in citizen happiness and health.

Eric thinks too highly of us.

An opinion piece? Really? Give me a fucking break. Getting real tired of this Partisan bullshit. Anyone with half a brain and going blind could see this is both sides fault. Grow Up.

Who wrote the spending bill to shut down government?

Who voted for it?

Who can end it today?

Who's fault is this nuts situation? Don't get lost on the way to a logical answer.

Obviously not, as you just posted an opinion piece on a political forum as if it were gospel.

Well Mr. Advised, you looked at both sides of the issue. WHO is responsible for shutting down government?

felix proves once again that he has nothing intelligent to say...can't understand simple concepts...and is nothing more than an angry retard. And I do mean retard. I don't use that term in his case as a perjorative, i'm being specific and precise. The fkker is a retard.

As for Eric the half bee, he's bloody spot on, isn't he?

The only thing i'd challenge is his choice for us to rule the world...we don't..and we shouldn't. we don't deserve to run the world, and many other countries have a much more positive effect on the world than us. Many countries beat us in citizen happiness and health.

Eric thinks too highly of us.

Spot on. Amazing, somehow FkUp here knows what media he has seen, how he evaluated the article, etc. That wouldn't mean he is being biased would it? :D

Well Mr. Advised, you looked at both sides of the issue. WHO is responsible for shutting down government?

When issues are restricted to only one side or the other within a topic that has 3 axioms of separating each of the two sides to have 4 corners each using topical applications of academic, political, spiritual, and economic reprocussions/issues?

Sounds a little exponential compounding interests separating a whole moment into two entities of space and time. Now that separates ancestry and ancestors of male and female results never the same added details changing currently here.

Now we have a physical atmosphere with 8 hemispheres and 6 degrees of perpendicular separation of those 8 hemispheres of 2 4 dimensionsion results co-existing presently using the 120 estimated character istics of the [periodic table of molecular elements consisting of three separate stages of combined form shaping what is shaped forming the natures of lifetimes in plant or animal lifetimes behaving as predatory or prey natures existing as male or female results.

So What are just two sides of any issue that isn't ignoring 6 more sides to consider?. Again 8 hemispheres in one atmosphere of combined inorganic and organic combinations being what exists presently?

Carl Reiner on Twitter last week, worried about the current Government shutdown, said this was cause for great concern in the world’s leading democracy. And I thought, leading? Who’s following? The answer would appear to be no one.

After one of the recent school shootings a young mother said to me, “What must you think of us? You must think we’re all mad.” Mad certainly, but not all of you.

Half of America seems to be entirely enviable, movies, books, TV, arts, liberal democratic institutions, great centers of learning and ://www.ericidle.com/blog/?p=507]http://www.ericidle.com/blog/?p=507[/url]

cc

OK - I'll promise not to say, "But Eric Idle is just a comedian," if you promise not to say, "But Rush Limbaugh is just a radio talk show host."

I didn't like the tone of that article, the self congratulatory three weeks bit particularly, as if that is anything special. Plus that is only possible because the Speaker of the House of Commons is a non partisan position as is the Head of State. Things I doubt America would want.

Half of America seems to be entirely enviable, movies, books, TV, arts, liberal democratic institutions, great centers of learning and research, gay marriage, social freedoms, etc. etc.

The other half does seem to be, well, nuts.

Currently you appear to be almost in a state of civil war. If one party can shut down the government then the social compact to rule is broken. In most other democracies this simply could not happen. In the UK for example, the Government would dissolve and the Prime Minister would call for an immediate general election, which would be held within three weeks. (Yes that quickly.) With your fixed terms you do not have this benefit. You must limp on to the next overlong election cycle and then waste a whole year of execrable television and billions of dollars on it. This is a very expensive and not very flexible system of democracy that no one else wants to follow.

The Mad Haters Tea Party throws everything overboard, not just the tea. The Captain, the crew, the ships dog… Pirates could hardly do worse.

It seems especially perverse that people purporting to be Christian, a religion that vows to help the poor and heal the sick, should be so violently against helping the poor and healing the sick. Followers of a religion that preaches forgiveness and turning the other cheek, demand the right for the outright insane to own more and more weapons. Nuts, I’m afraid.

Now some people get very angry when a non-American like me dares to talk about America. “Well piss off then, go somewhere else” they say. Forgetting that we who live amongst you are the ones who like you the most, and if you don’t listen to what we think then the Ostrichization of America will continue. Bend over, head in sand, hand on heart, salute flag.

The great thing about America has always been your ability to rally round in difficult times, especially under attack and create new solutions to modern problems. Of your current state The Founding Fathers would be horrified and terrified. Nobody asked the Mothers. You may need to re-evaluate. The Constitution may need updating. It’s not the Bible. Then, neither is the Bible.

We need you to prosper. You can rule the world, or you can ruin it. Time to wake up. We really need you.

Pretty please.

From http://www.ericidle.com/blog/?p=507

cc

Great find. Enjoyed it immensely.

Pirates could hardly do worse.

LMAO

And yes, why didn't they ask the mothers?

Obviously not, as you just posted an opinion piece on a political forum as if it were gospel.

Do you even know who Eric Idle is? Did you even bother read the letter? Obviously not.

"Opinion pieces" aside, Republicans are fully responsible for this debacle. They aren't even in a position to compromise their way out because of stupid midnight rule changes and extremism within their ranks. What they are doing is well outside the scope of governance and political posturing. This is setting a bad precedent and no way should the Democrats allow them to carry out this atrocity.

Spot on. Amazing, somehow FkUp here knows what media he has seen, how he evaluated the article, etc. That wouldn't mean he is being biased would it? :D

Didn't Felix get banned. Weird how Dano would refer to him. Though to be fair we all know Dano is a miserable failure. See my sig if you need further proof, that is copy/pasted verbatim.

Dano your attacks are meaningless, because everyone (and I really mean everyone) on this board knows you are a helpless troll with no life.

Also saying something just because its your opinion doesn't make it fact.

Who refused to negotiate? Who wouldn't let bills come onto the Senate floor? Who started calling members of the opposite party terrorists?

Both sides are at fault and if you are too blind to see it you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Do you even know who Eric Idle is? Did you even bother read the letter? Obviously not.

He is a comedian, his opinion is worth absolutely nothing.

"Opinion pieces" aside, Republicans are fully responsible for this debacle. They aren't even in a position to compromise their way out because of stupid midnight rule changes and extremism within their ranks. What they are doing is well outside the scope of governance and political posturing. This is setting a bad precedent and no way should the Democrats allow them to carry out this atrocity.

Yet Democrats are the ones unwilling to negotiate...go figure.

An ENTERTAINING opinion piece.

But of course, that's only my opinion.

You're welcome to yours.

Always thought what little Money Python I saw was pretty stupid, guess I now have a more definitive answer as to why.

Certain types of humor is wasted on some people.

The way it goes.

Dano your attacks are meaningless, because everyone (and I really mean everyone) on this board knows you are a helpless troll with no life.

Maybe you should put more thought into your posts.

saying something just because its your opinion doesn't make it fact.

I don't consider Dano a helpless troll with no life so your assertion is not fact.

Are you always this hissy?

OK - I'll promise not to say, "But Eric Idle is just a comedian," if you promise not to say, "But Rush Limbaugh is just a radio talk show host."

Rush Limbaugh is just the head of the Republican Party.

who else would it be? surely not Boehner, Cruz, or Rinse Penis.