Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Here's what's slowing economic growth - lack of demand + political uncertainty.

We have not had sustainable growth in a long time. We've only seen economic bubbles, along with horrible fiscal and monetary policy.

The current standoff regarding a continuing resolution for the budget is absurd putting it mildly.

Shrinking government does the opposite of creating demand. States try to compete for what little private investment can be had by lowering taxes. They dismantle themselves and thereby go deeper into

a rut.

It is more than apparent that the far right has no understanding of basic economics.

Corporate leaders are scratching their heads in disbelief at the nonsense that's going on. Pass a budget,

find a way, so there is no need for CR's.

Currently, Boenher has a clean CR he can put up for vote. He won't do it even though the Republicans hold a majority, because he knows it will pass. That's a travesty, putting it mildly.

I watched Windell Berry last night on Moyer's. He's an American novelist, poet, environmentalist and activist. He discussed a huge problem we have with Capitalism and how it has put our most fertile lands in the hands of the few who have exploited it to no end. It's reeked havoc by destroying the biodiversity soils need with field after field of monoculture crops It's also producing nutrient deficient food and destroying peoples livelihoods. We treat our livestock unethically, to say the least, chiefly because of run away greed and this has evaded public conscience for far too long.

There are right ways to do things, and wrong ways. The first thing we need to do is get our priorities in order.

2014 - is it only a dream that it will be at least a little bit better? My 14 year old wants to be an environmental engineer - he's a great student taking advanced math and engineering classes in high school. He's got some great friends who feel the same way.

I myself will remain patient and I will hold onto hope.

Peace!

Here's what's slowing economic growth - lack of demand + political uncertainty.

We have not had sustainable growth in a long time. We've only seen economic bubbles, along with horrible fiscal and monetary policy.

The current standoff regarding a continuing resolution for the budget is absurd putting it mildly.

Shrinking government does the opposite of creating demand. States try to compete for what little private investment can be had by lowering taxes. They dismantle themselves and thereby go deeper into

a rut.

It is more than apparent that the far right has no understanding of basic economics.

All true. Additionally, I think lack of demand stems largely from the fact that the majority of the population has less disposable income. Outsourcing and "free trade" are killing the goose that laid the golden egg; The affluent consumer. Similarly the national thinning of labor unions has further damaged purchasing power.

Industry has created a lack of demand for its own products so economic growth is nill. This is a long-term problem.

Corporate leaders are scratching their heads in disbelief at the nonsense that's going on.

Only a small handful come out publicly against the shutdown so far. Many approve of any effort to stop the ACA in its tracks. Others hate the president viscerally.

Pass a budget,

find a way, so there is no need for CR's.

Currently, Boenher has a clean CR he can put up for vote. He won't do it even though the Republicans hold a majority, because he knows it will pass. That's a travesty, putting it mildly.

Boehner is following orders from the Tea Party evidently.

I watched Windell Berry last night on Moyer's. He's an American novelist, poet, environmentalist and activist. He discussed a huge problem we have with Capitalism and how it has put our most fertile lands in the hands of the few who have exploited it to no end. It's reeked havoc by destroying the biodiversity soils need with field after field of monoculture crops It's also producing nutrient deficient food and destroying peoples livelihoods. We treat our livestock unethically, to say the least, chiefly because of run away greed and this has evaded public conscience for far too long.

Moyer's is great. And he interviews some wonderful people.

These are pressing problems of agriculture and the land. The oceans too are becoming acid and inhospitable to most life as we have known it.

//QUOTE//

Green Diary of the Week The Oceans are Dying: Oxygen is Depleting, Acidity Rising at Fastest Rate in 300,000,000 Years—by FishOutofWater: "Today's explosive increase in human CO2 emissions and warming of the oceans are recreating the conditions of the great Permian extinction 300 million years ago when massive volcanic eruptions in Siberia triggered the release of enormous amounts of stored carbon.

//UNQUOTE// http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/05/1244144/-Green-diary-rescue-acidic-oceans-bio-coal-agro-ecology-Rep-Shimkus-on-carbon-regulations

But aggressive conservative deniers who disrespect science are trivializing these problems in much of the public mind.

There are right ways to do things, and wrong ways. The first thing we need to do is get our priorities in order.

2014 - is it only a dream that it will be at least a little bit better? My 14 year old wants to be an environmental engineer - he's a great student taking advanced math and engineering classes in high school. He's got some great friends who feel the same way.

I myself will remain patient and I will hold onto hope.

Peace!

I hope the 2014 congressional elections lead to changes which will help in getting "our priorities in order."

Thanks for the great post Old Barn.

All true. Additionally, I think lack of demand stems largely from the fact that the majority of the population has less disposable income. Outsourcing and "free trade" are killing the goose that laid the golden egg; The affluent consumer. Similarly the national thinning of labor unions has further damaged purchasing power.

Industry has created a lack of demand for its own products so economic growth is nill. This is a long-term problem.

Only a small handful come out publicly against the shutdown so far. Many approve of any effort to stop the ACA in its tracks. Others hate the president viscerally.

Boehner is following orders from the Tea Party evidently.

Moyer's is great. And he interviews some wonderful people.

These are pressing problems of agriculture and the land. The oceans too are becoming acid and inhospitable to most life as we have known it.

//QUOTE//

Green Diary of the Week The Oceans are Dying: Oxygen is Depleting, Acidity Rising at Fastest Rate in 300,000,000 Years—by FishOutofWater: "Today's explosive increase in human CO2 emissions and warming of the oceans are recreating the conditions of the great Permian extinction 300 million years ago when massive volcanic eruptions in Siberia triggered the release of enormous amounts of stored carbon.

//UNQUOTE// http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/05/1244144/-Green-diary-rescue-acidic-oceans-bio-coal-agro-ecology-Rep-Shimkus-on-carbon-regulations

But aggressive conservative deniers who disrespect science are trivializing these problems in much of the public mind.

I hope the 2014 congressional elections lead to changes which will help in getting "our priorities in order."

Thanks for the great post Old Barn.

That's what got us where we are today......

That's what got us where we are today......

Very wise!

Blue Dog, you make excellent points, and you're right on Gatsby!

Demand, a sustainable demand, takes a growing middle class. Banks should be doing what they were intended to do --- Loan money wisely. It's called investing in the long-term as well as short.

Read a good article in the New Yorker about the ACA. aka... Obama Care... http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2013/10/14/131014ta_talk_surowiecki

Here it's correctly pointed out what small kind of businesses actually create most jobs. It also talks about the dividend that ACA would secure SM creators. ACA is by far not perfect, but its goal is in the right place as far as moving forward to cover all and manage cost. There's an inherent lack of equity all around as far as health care goes... If you're a private insurer, why would you want to take on any risk?

If you know anything about money - and insurance, you know it's all based on risk. The loaning of money is built on risk... /The covering of health care for an insurance carrier is all about risk --- it's a business folks. If the government does not step up to the plate, sick people suffer,

through no fault of their own. Poor people suffer as well all alone on the free market --- that is, private health insurance. There are no two ways about it/ the only way forward is to increase the pool of people who pay into insurance. Myself, I support Single Payer, because it clearly covers all, and it widens the pool automatically, and, one insurer makes it more efficient --- it shouldn't be about profit, not insurance at least.

Now consider you are a small business - a burgeoning one which has skilled workers, but you're small, say only 51 workers. When one, or a few of those workers comes down with a costly medical ailment, your insurance premium goes sky high. And yes, that hurts growth!!!

Anyway, common sense is what's missing here. The right has saturated a large degree of the airways with nonsense, so a lot of people don't know nothing.

On a retarded and completely different plank... Like a fool the other day, knowing it would hurt my sense of virtue and reality, I switched on FOX News (for less than 20 seconds) and caught Mr. Hannity saying in the latest poll - last Wed, the Dem's were on the losing end big time as expected. Meanwhile, in reality it was the opposite...

Peace!

Lack of supply.

End of story.

Real growth requires an increase in productivity and supply.

Demand is an effect, not a cause.

Blue Dog, you make excellent points, and you're right on Gatsby!

Demand, a sustainable demand, takes a growing middle class. Banks should be doing what they were intended to do --- Loan money wisely. It's called investing in the long-term as well as short.

Read a good article in the New Yorker about the ACA. aka... Obama Care... http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2013/10/14/131014ta_talk_surowiecki

Here it's correctly pointed out what small kind of businesses actually create most jobs. It also talks about the dividend that ACA would secure SM creators. ACA is by far not perfect, but its goal is in the right place as far as moving forward to cover all and manage cost. There's an inherent lack of equity all around as far as health care goes... If you're a private insurer, why would you want to take on any risk?

If you know anything about money - and insurance, you know it's all based on risk. The loaning of money is built on risk... /The covering of health care for an insurance carrier is all about risk --- it's a business folks. If the government does not step up to the plate, sick people suffer,

through no fault of their own. Poor people suffer as well all alone on the free market --- that is, private health insurance. There are no two ways about it/ the only way forward is to increase the pool of people who pay into insurance. Myself, I support Single Payer, because it clearly covers all, and it widens the pool automatically, and, one insurer makes it more efficient --- it shouldn't be about profit, not insurance at least.

Now consider you are a small business - a burgeoning one which has skilled workers, but you're small, say only 51 workers. When one, or a few of those workers comes down with a costly medical ailment, your insurance premium goes sky high. And yes, that hurts growth!!!

Anyway, common sense is what's missing here. The right has saturated a large degree of the airways with nonsense, so a lot of people don't know nothing.

On a retarded and completely different plank... Like a fool the other day, knowing it would hurt my sense of virtue and reality, I switched on FOX News (for less than 20 seconds) and caught Mr. Hannity saying in the latest poll - last Wed, the Dem's were on the losing end big time as expected. Meanwhile, in reality it was the opposite...

Peace!

Both the US and UK were in BIG Debt after WWII...and mainland Europe was in ruins. Did they go Supply side? Fire public Sector employees and tell veterans "Get a job,ya bum".....no. They ALL wen't full tilt DEMAND side and America...and everyone else...prospered and recovered rather well.

We get sold the HOAX of Supply Side every few elections and ALWAYS...we get RECESSION and unemployment and usually some inflation along with stupid stunts that are hard to explain. The odd thing...a few rich folks get RICHER...like vultures who thrive upon the misfortune of others.

HOWEVER....if the economy SHRIVELS AND SHRINKS...even the RICH eventually lose. Growth and DEMAND...are how business MOSTLY makes money. The Vulture Capitalists...a relative few...may buy up hurting companies-cheap...but then they need to REVERSE things to be selling products. A YAD SALE ECONOMY...is not how corporations make money.

Lack of supply.

End of story.

Bassackwards.

If supply is meager, demand rarely diminishes..... Example: Demand for gasoline persists during a shortage.

But if demand shrinks, so does supply................. Example: Lack of demand for spittoons has curtailed the supply drastically.

Demand is the cause and supply, the effect.

Bassackwards.

If supply is meager, demand rarely diminishes..... Example: Demand for gasoline persists during a shortage.

But if demand shrinks, so does supply................. Example: Lack of demand for spittoons has curtailed the supply drastically.

Demand is the cause and supply, the effect.

more like the chicken and the egg

which came first?

cant have one without the other really, so the causes and effects are more symbiotic than not

more like the chicken and the egg

which came first?

cant have one without the other really, so the causes and effects are more symbiotic than not

There is no incentive to supply for long without a demand. But demand creates incentive for to supply. It's not a "which came first" riddle. Demand comes first and supply follows.

Lack of supply.

End of story.

In these hard times, consumers have cut back on spending because of reduced income on average. This translates to less demand and businesses have responded by reducing supply. Real growth will coincide with more full employment and higher wages. Consumer's new-found wealth will cause increased demand and suppliers will respond with increased productivity and supply.

Who spends, who creates demand? Folks who need stuff. But when folks who need stuff can't get a job or there is downward pressure on wages, real demand drops off. The Wallmart's of this world create downward pressure on wages. Yes, stuff is cheaper, especially the stuff shipped in from China. We've seen prices on electronic goods sink pretty low, it's mostly made over seas.

A weaker dollar would fix a lot of what is wrong. Long term debt, can be dealt with by lowering the cost of health care. Finding ways to cut health care cost could wipe out a lot of our long-term debt.

The sad part is, fiscally this country continues to harm itself by not investing in the important things a government should, like research, schools, and infrastructure. Also, we do not put downward pressure on our own currency, which we could easily do. It is distribution of wealth in the end. Now, we live in a system that funnels wealth to the top few which creates less demand or spending by the consumer. Obviously when you downsize the federal and state workforce, you hurt private business too.

Peace!