Sign in to follow this  
Gator

Truth about the Military

Since there is so much being said about what the Military might do let's know who really makes up your Military's Rank & File:

Servicemembers:

There's four basic types:

Lifers who are more concerned with their own careers than anyone else and they'll burn anyone to make themselves look good in spite of the fact that they're azzholes who destroy morale.

Career Military whose Servicemembers mean the world to them and they're constantly fighting with the lifers who are trying to hang their Kids for the very same actics career military and lifers pulled during their youthful exuberance as well.

Short timers passing through who enlisted for the experience and they generally leave better for having been in the military which is the whole point of the exercise.

The infamous disenfranchised 10%'ers who do as little as possible and try to get away with everything they can. You can generally help 75% of them get on track but the other 25% should have never made it in the first place so you send home before you take them into combat and end up writing the letter to their Parents.

Training:

The Corps washes out an average of 33% of all Recruits who get off the bus onto the yellow foot prints. A lot of them just quit and refuse to train so sending them home is cool because they would get themselves killed in combat while the heart breakers aer the ones who really pack the gear but their bodies just aren't up for it. It's not about the "yes sir - no sir" stuff as that's just training them up for war. It's about whether the Kid will get themselves of their fellow Marines killed which is the real determining factor. If you can't honestly tell yourself you'd personally serve with the Kid in combat you either drop them to someone who can help them grow into it or you send them home so no one has to write a letter that should have never been written.

It's no easy job which is why most everyone hates the land of no sleep and spit shinned everything. First thing many do when you get back to the fleet is take your guys out and put the local breweries in high production because you're back in the land of Marines and you don't have to worry about playing god again. Well at least until the shooting starts or they send you back to the drill field in which case you invoke the old Marine saying to the staff poges who send you to either one ... fuk'em if they can't take a joke.

Despite the fact that I went to FSU and instinctively distrust anyone named "Gator", you're pretty close. It was and is a little different in the Army, and everyone's experience is different........ you KNOW what I mean....talk to a hundred, a thousand vets, and learn a lot more than you thought......

Oh, and the order of the day was always: "Shut up and soldier!".

I hear you on there being so many different takes as it always comes down to different folks' experiences. With so many topics about how the Military, and especially our Troops, will fire on American Citizens over politics it seemed appropriate to tell the truth about who and what everyone is really all about rather than all the misconceptions.

As for "Gator" that's a Marine and Navy nickname for amphibious, ie. Gator Navy, gator ops, etc.

"Shut up and soldier" ha ha ha that's funny. On my first enlistment they used to always bark at us "stop smokin' that shiat!" ha ha ha. Man oh man there was so much beer and pot we always found ways to get in trouble no matter how hard they tried to keep us busy so we wouldn't. Gunny used to look at us and growl as he shook his head. He was right, we had taken getting into trouble into a whole new art form ha ha ha. Those were the days. :D

Yea this were the days these days the military is giving soldiers free days off to travel and have same sex marriages performed. What about regular marriages why can't they get free days to get married?

There's four basic types:

Eh, five.

The garden variety patriot and you can't say that's not true cause that was the major reason I joined.

I joined the Army (RA all the way) April 1968. I wanted to go to the Nam. I did. My father was in WW2 and told me to get in shape before I joined. I did. He told me to not to volunteer for anything, stand in the middle of the line, and don't let the sergeant know your name. I did that too. I was promoted to E-2 after basic. There were only three regulars in my basic training company. I was one and two guys who joined together from Me. One was KIA. All other trainees were drafted in my company. At that time sergeants could beat trainees who did not want to learn. Many were beaten. The worst thing that could happen was to be recycled. If a trainee did not co-operate or was a slacker they were sent back to week 1 and had to do it all again. The Army at that time was not going to let ANYONE out. My entire company was sent to advanced infantry training and all were sent to the Nam. I learned and and co-operated because I joined and I knew what I was learning might save my own life. The Army was the best thing for me. I was a lost kid. The Army gave me structure and responsibilities I never would have learned in civilian life. I did my 3 years and was honorably discharged. After the Army I worked for the fed. gov. for 38 yrs. The Army turned around my life and to this day I thank god that I had the sense to join.

Yea this were the days these days the military is giving soldiers free days off to travel and have same sex marriages performed. What about regular marriages why can't they get free days to get married?

This is something new so all I can say is it has to stay within the old leadership standard of everyone being treated exactly the same. If commands are allowing same sex marriages time off then the same has to be granted for different sex marriages as well. Otherwise the rightful dissension you in the ranks are feeling is justified and that's always a failure in leadership which cannot be allowed to happen because it affects combat readiness. Whether we personally agree with whatever is going on or not, continuity of command's fair treatment of all Servicemembers must be maintained at all costs and there's no excuse when it's not.

I most strongly encourage you to use whatever your Service calls "request mast procedure" where you take this grievance up the chain of command to put an end to it because it's as stupid as the officers and staff non commissioned officers who allow this bullshiat to happen. If you have any rank then so much the better because what's the sense in having it if you won't fight for your fellow Servicemembers? Your Juniors will be watching and they'll emulate whatever leadership you teach them by your very actions so go for it and when your command tries to come at you remind them you're doing for the good of your Service and if they're worth anything they'll respect you fighting for your People. If not, take it up the chain until you find someone who does and has the authority to bring about the change. Just be sure you cover your backside by keeping Legal informed of what you're doing and why so they can cover you as well. I learned this one the hard way back in the seventies when we were helping Black Marines gain fair treatment in the ranks so working with Legal can save you a lot of potential grief. It's all in the wording Brother.

Uhhhhhhhh ok they are advertising same sex marriages sucking and yes they are getting time off to do it but not hetero marriages

Uhhhhhhhh ok they are advertising same sex marriages sucking and yes they are getting time off to do it but not hetero marriages

I think your gay.

You whine more about gay marriage than most anyone , sad little man

I joined the Army (RA all the way) April 1968. I wanted to go to the Nam. I did. My father was in WW2 and told me to get in shape before I joined. I did. He told me to not to volunteer for anything, stand in the middle of the line, and don't let the sergeant know your name. I did that too. I was promoted to E-2 after basic. There were only three regulars in my basic training company. I was one and two guys who joined together from Me. One was KIA. All other trainees were drafted in my company. At that time sergeants could beat trainees who did not want to learn. Many were beaten. The worst thing that could happen was to be recycled. If a trainee did not co-operate or was a slacker they were sent back to week 1 and had to do it all again. The Army at that time was not going to let ANYONE out. My entire company was sent to advanced infantry training and all were sent to the Nam. I learned and and co-operated because I joined and I knew what I was learning might save my own life. The Army was the best thing for me. I was a lost kid. The Army gave me structure and responsibilities I never would have learned in civilian life. I did my 3 years and was honorably discharged. After the Army I worked for the fed. gov. for 38 yrs. The Army turned around my life and to this day I thank god that I had the sense to join.

I know what you mean . I joined in 67 .

Vietnam taught me you can't trust anyone . Same uniform or not . Same company or not .

But the military did teach me how to get along in adult civilian life . It was a good experience .

Lifer suck though they can't see only serving three years and be done , I tell them some of us can make it in civilian life .

Eh, five.

The garden variety patriot and you can't say that's not true cause that was the major reason I joined.

You were part of the hard charging short timers, group 3, who could be told to do something and your leaders couldwalk away knowing it would get done. Your counterparts were generally the "money for school" types who are just as good but not quite as motivated. Both balance each other out because the true believers always want to take it to a whole new level while the schoolers keep everything practical which is why we always tried to keep you evenly mixed.

I know what you mean . I joined in 67 .

Vietnam taught me you can't trust anyone . Same uniform or not . Same company or not .

But the military did teach me how to get along in adult civilian life . It was a good experience .

Lifer suck though they can't see only serving three years and be done , I tell them some of us can make it in civilian life .

Ha ha ha there's an expression even use for them ... "lifers are like flies, they eat shiat and other people" ha ha ha. They'll drive you crazy with their self motivated antics and you can't trust them anymore than you can see them. You'd be surprised how much we despised them as well.

With the exception of the draftee part you told my story with Dad telling me pretty much the same thing. I joined the Corps behind you and caught the tail end of Nam. Never thought in my wildest dreams I'd stay in after the war but I was catching ships out of Okinawa patrolling the Far East and even more ships out of North Carolina patrolling the Mediterranean so given I liked all the different women and beer in so many different places I had twelve years before I even realized it. The rest just fell into place. It was a good career and I'd do it all over again because it was a good life choice.

I think your gay.

You whine more about gay marriage than most anyone , sad little man

It's real easy to take internet shots at someone on deployment while you're sitting in comfort at home. King is totally correct and he's the one living it so anytime you want to battle rattle up and join him be my guest because then you'll have earned your right to say something. However until that time comes back off because you don't hold a candle to that Troop.