West Maryland? Citizens Call for Secession

West Maryland? Citizens Call for Secession

I thought liberalism was "sweeping the nation." I guess that's just another of many liberal lies.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2013/09/09/west-maryland-citizens-call-for-secession-n1695152

Marylanders sick of Annapolis’s liberal agenda are hoping to follow in West Virginia’s footsteps and secede from the state they begrudgingly belong to.

From the Washington Post:

{...} A 49-year-old information technology consultant wants to apply the knife to Maryland’s five western counties. “The people are the sovereign,” says Scott Strzelczyk, leader of the fledgling
, and the western sovereigns are
fed up with Annapolis’s liberal majority
, elected by the state’s other sovereigns.

“If you think you have a long list of grievances and it’s been going on for decades, and you can’t get it resolved, ultimately this is what you have to do,” says Strzelczyk, who lives in New Windsor, a historic town of 1,400 people in Carroll County. “Otherwise you are trapped.”

Strzelczyk launched a Western Maryland Initiative Facebook page in July, which is now just shy of 2,500 likes. He, along with other more conservative-minded citizens in the Western counties of Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick and Carroll, are growing weary of the state's stance on issues like gun control, taxes, energy policy, gay marriage and immigration.

Suzanne Reisig Olden, a Carroll County paralegal, for instance, explains on Facebook how she is fed up with legislation like the “rain tax,” a stormwater management fee, which was approved last year.

“Taxing the friggin’ rain?”
she says.
“The next thing they tax will be the air we breathe.”

Maryland isn’t the only state facingsecessionist rhetoric because of unpopular liberal policies. Nearly a dozen northern Colorado counties have nonbinding referendums set for November ballots, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is trying to join with parts of Wisconsin and Northern California counties want to form a state called Jefferson, according to the WaPo.

The last time a state successfully seceded from another was in 1863, when West Virginia won its independence from the Old Dominion. Citizens like Strzelczyk are hoping for a similar outcome for folks in Maryland who want to be free from the Free State.

“If you don’t belong in their party,” Strzelczyk says of Democrats, “you’ll never have your views represented” in Maryland. “If we have more states,” he says, “we can all go live in states that best represent us, and then we can get along."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought liberalism was "sweeping the nation." I guess that's just another of many liberal lies.

We wouldn't expect a moron like you to realize that gay marriage and legal marijuana is "sweeping the nation" proving the country is becoming more and more liberal.

But instead pick out a special pocket of tea bagger crazy in Maryland and hold that choice morsel up as indicative of YOUR movement.

Actually I don't think being a troll is a movement.

We wouldn't expect a moron like you to realize that gay marriage and legal marijuana is "sweeping the nation" proving the country is becoming more and more liberal.

But instead pick out a special pocket of tea bagger crazy in Maryland and hold that choice morsel up as indicative of YOUR movement.

so how many chemical weapons do you think obama would be willing to use on us?

montana werent in no civil war neither...if we were...the south would have won...

Do you really think that the half a dozen people in Montana at the time would have made a difference? Did they have nuclear weapons at that time, to bring to the fight or something dumba$$?

The reason for that is because troops would refuse to go to a s--t hole like that. You can come out from your beat up trailer bunker now, you got nothing anyone wants.

I wasnt aware oblamer exempted montana from the tax roles

when was this ?

You're one of these libs that hates certain states aren't you?

We should be. They can take redneck riverside and victorville with them, bastards!!! F'ck off Northern California!!!

Sure ya wanna go there, dude? For a supposed hotbed of Right Wing Loonies, Mormons, and other assorted fascists, they sure grow a LOT of WEED in northern Kalifornia...... hehehe

What's shocking about the post? More cons want to re-enact the Civil War. Happens every day. Losers!

You're seriously claiming this about Maryland?

I love psychotic moonbat humor. :D

Legalizing pot sweeps across the spectrum, and there is no movement for homosexual marriage sweeping anywhere except in your moonbat mind.

Just liberal politicians and judges violating clear popular will and the Constitution.

Yes, there is a world-wide movement toward freedom.

To which you and liberals are opposed.

That's why not even moonbats follow you.

You're seriously claiming this about Maryland?

I love psychotic moonbat humor. :D

Legalizing pot sweeps across the spectrum, and there is no movement for homosexual marriage sweeping anywhere except in your moonbat mind.

Just liberal politicians and judges violating clear popular will and the Constitution.

Yes, there is a world-wide movement toward freedom.

To which you and liberals are opposed.

That's why not even moonbats follow you.

Supreme Court striking down Doma and Prop 8 is definitely the impetus of a movement. Funny how you write both of the bold type items in the same post. Don't you see a conflict?