Wharf Rat2

Bakken natural gas being burned off instead of recovered for use

So what? Who added that up?

Why is it ONE MILLION? Why not 1,000,122? Did someone wait until it became SCARY ONE MILLION?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cmon all you big oil apologists. Wgy are your paymasters burning a billion dollars a month in natural gas?

Cmon all you big oil apologists. Wgy are your paymasters burning a billion dollars a month in natural gas?

It's their gas. What do you want them to do with it???

They have no idea, but if we think they'll either admit it or just shut up, we have another think coming.

It's their gas. What do you want them to do with it???

Aren't you one of those pro-drilling people? You know, energy independence for us so we won't have to rely on other nations? So we find gas, a power natural resource and big part of the answer to energy independence, and what do we do but just burn it off, and you defend that?

They have no idea, but if we think they'll either admit it or just shut up, we have another think coming.

Aren't you one of those pro-drilling people? You know, energy independence for us so we won't have to rely on other nations? So we find gas, a power natural resource and big part of the answer to energy independence, and what do we do but just burn it off, and you defend that?

Pro-drilling??? Sweetie, I'm a production engineer for Shell. The infrastructure in place at these wells is there to accommodate oil. Gas pipelines are being installed, but for the time being, any gas that comes out of an oil well is going to be burned off.

So.. you lefties have no idea whatsoever what gas flaring is do you?
That's kinda funny that you would try to argue about something of which you know nothing about. Its not funny because its new and original, its funny because it is like always, funny like that joke you have heard a thousand times that doesn't make you laugh anymore but you still know its funny.
Basically, for you uneducated bottom feeders who insist on trying to have an opinion on everything whether you know anything about it or not. Gas flaring is what happens when unexpected pressure forms in the well, they have to release it or the well will explode, they burn it because natural gas is way worse for the environment than the products of burning it.
But I guess you idiots would much rather just have the wells explode and utterly decimate the environment huh?

Further more, a simple google search informs you that they have been reducing, and continue to reduce, the amount of gas flaring with an ultimate goal of near 0%.
But, don't let facts get in your way.

So.. you lefties have no idea whatsoever what gas flaring is do you?

That's kinda funny that you would try to argue about something of which you know nothing about. Its not funny because its new and original, its funny because it is like always, funny like that joke you have heard a thousand times that doesn't make you laugh anymore but you still know its funny.

Basically, for you uneducated bottom feeders who insist on trying to have an opinion on everything whether you know anything about it or not. Gas flaring is what happens when unexpected pressure forms in the well, they have to release it or the well will explode, they burn it because natural gas is way worse for the environment than the products of burning it.

But I guess you idiots would much rather just have the wells explode and utterly decimate the environment huh?

Further more, a simple google search informs you that they have been reducing, and continue to reduce, the amount of gas flaring with an ultimate goal of near 0%.

But, don't let facts get in your way.

Ehhhh, most of the burn off in North Dakota isn't for pressure control, it's just that particular well can't do anything with the natural gas coming out of the formation. Eventually it will be reduced big time once more gas infrastructure is in place, but you can hardly blame them for going after the oil first. It's the more profitable of the two right now.

Ehhhh, most of the burn off in North Dakota isn't for pressure control, it's just that particular well can't do anything with the natural gas coming out of the formation. Eventually it will be reduced big time once more gas infrastructure is in place, but you can hardly blame them for going after the oil first. It's the more profitable of the two right now.

Well from what I had read a lot of it was for the pressure control, but either way its still not some big conspiracy to do.... something. I'm sure a lefty will come enlighten us as to their ultimate goal eventually.

Furthermore, I highly doubt the whole "1million cars" comparison. As natural gas is pretty damn excessively clean burning. Its not like they are making batteries for electric cars or something.

Okay, board, catch this one. I did not know about gas burn off. Now I do, and I was wrong in what I said. I wonder when I will, if ever, see cons apologizing when they are mistaken. Because so far, I may have seen it one time.

Well from what I had read a lot of it was for the pressure control, but either way its still not some big conspiracy to do.... something. I'm sure a lefty will come enlighten us as to their ultimate goal eventually.

Furthermore, I highly doubt the whole "1million cars" comparison. As natural gas is pretty damn excessively clean burning. Its not like they are making batteries for electric cars or something.

When you're drilling you have mud to balance the pressure on the bore. It's not so much for pressure control either, it's more the result of pressure control. When you release flammable gas through a relief valve the gas is then burned rather than letting it just go into the atmosphere.

So what? Who added that up?

Why is it ONE MILLION? Why not 1,000,122? Did someone wait until it became SCARY ONE MILLION?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you fu ckin crack me up dude

Pollution from flaring gas equal to adding a million cars to US highways

The problem goes back to the tree huggers that keep suing to stop oil and gas lines to transport the oil and gas. But this fool does not want to admit that. Nobody wants the flaring but the tree huggers keep on fighting any transportation for it and delaying it. This is part and parcel for anything related to oil and other building of things like roads.

Pollution from flaring gas equal to adding a million cars to US highways

Part of it is always burned off, just like methane from recycling processes.

So what?

Quite possibly because environmental regulation makes it impossible to build a pipeline for it to be sold for commercial use.

Like Obama is effectively killing the Keystone pipeline.

Okay, board, catch this one. I did not know about gas burn off. Now I do, and I was wrong in what I said. I wonder when I will, if ever, see cons apologizing when they are mistaken. Because so far, I may have seen it one time.

I have seen a progressive admit a mistake once too. Thanks for breaking the ice.

you fu ckin crack me up dude

I try to find the humor in death and carnage.

Sometimes it hides behind the gut pile.

Oil rigs have burned off gas since day one. Luckily 150 years after the drilling began, some genius liberal has taken notice.

Pro-drilling??? Sweetie, I'm a production engineer for Shell. The infrastructure in place at these wells is there to accommodate oil. Gas pipelines are being installed, but for the time being, any gas that comes out of an oil well is going to be burned off.

We just went through a little battle in da hood about this stuff. I learned a bit about it consequently. We have a 30+ year old oil well in the vicinity and the company wanted to triple the flare limit. Turns out they just wanted to squeeze the last of the juice out a little quicker without upgrading (not economical). Pressures were the only problem in this case. We basically said in our case that there were way too many residents close by now. 30 years of development and the increase to an already granted variance to a "No flare zone" was asking a bit much. So they still pump today at the old rate with aged equipment.

What pisses people off is the method of the approach. Legal to be sure but not at all neighborly. They started this up during Thanksgiving and it went to the state board the week after Christmas break. They tried to slip it in without being noticed. Backlash was bigger just because they tried that sneaky shit.

These things make big business (not just oil companies) look like assholes. Even dumb people can follow the cause when someone yells "Foul". And this was a minor thing. Not worth the bad PR.

me thinks it is safer for the crew to burn it off than to try to store it....that is what some rig hands have told me...not sure it is accurate though...so dont hold me accountable..i was drunk when i posted this

me thinks it is safer for the crew to burn it off than to try to store it....that is what some rig hands have told me...not sure it is accurate though...so dont hold me accountable..i was drunk when i posted this

Morning drinking is usually a sign of . . . something. I forget, but it's not good.

Burning off gas certainly is a waste of fuel. Considering we run on greed, I'm surprised the gas isn't harvested. Gotta be a reason. Safety issues???

Morning drinking is usually a sign of . . . something. I forget, but it's not good.

oh no...i havnt drank for a week...but i got really really really drunk......lol

hell i lied,...,,im sober as a judge

oh no...i havnt drank for a week...but i got really really really drunk......lol

hell i lied,...,,im sober as a judge

The last judge I saw WAS drunk. So . . . good for you ?

My problem is that I have nothing to quit. I'm just fucked up on life.

That's sounds wrong . . . true, but wrong.

See what I mean?