The militarization of youth!

BIll13145

www.youngmarines.com

www.youngmarines.com/inthenews.aspx?id=10

www.gocivilairpatrol.com

www.njrotc.navy.mil

www.afoats.af.mil/afjrotc/

https://www.usarmyjrotc.com

Hey guys what do you think about the Young Marines and other cadet programs? I know most people who have progressive values will compare this to the Hitler Youth. But don't forget in the United States of America we have something called freedom. That means if a kid wants to play soldier we can't stop them from playing soldier. That is just my two cents but if you want a debate I am more than willing. So come at me! When I was young JROTC was my passion! One guy says the military youth programs turn kids into uneducated rednecks but the Civil Air Patrol will teach a kid how to fly an airplane! Fly! FIght! Win! Aim high USAF! Once a cadet always a cadet!

www.youngmarines.com

www.youngmarines.com/inthenews.aspx?id=10

www.gocivilairpatrol.com

www.njrotc.navy.mil

www.afoats.af.mil/afjrotc/

https://www.usarmyjrotc.com

Hey guys what do you think about the Young Marines and other cadet programs? I know most people who have progressive values will compare this to the Hitler Youth. But don't forget in the United States of America we have something called freedom. That means if a kid wants to play soldier we can't stop them from playing soldier. That is just my two cents but if you want a debate I am more than willing. So come at me! When I was young JROTC was my passion! One guy says the military youth programs turn kids into uneducated rednecks but the Civil Air Patrol will teach a kid how to fly an airplane! Fly! FIght! Win! Aim high USAF! Once a cadet always a cadet!

As a kid I could tell you all about Gettysburg as an 8th grader..or any fighter or bomber from WWII. I could talk about the Missouri vs the Yamato vs the Bismark and how...by WWII...Battleships...while cool,were vulnerable. I still am into Military history and technology....but...War is what happens when your politics fail. If you knew about Dien Bien Phu....you knew what the Vietnam War would be. A big FAIL...so,I chose to not participate.

You can take it to far. Either way. As a kid... I played "army"...cowboys+ indians...cops and robbers...and now...I am no "gun nut" but I KNOW guns and I can hit a dime at a distance. I reckon there was some effort ,back then to mold or indoctrinate me...and it mostly backfired.

I LIKE the whole strategy and tactics of war. However...I am repulsed by the idea of being ordered to kill someone when it's really...a pointless waste. Young guys may need "structure"....but not brainwashing. So...it is what it is.

Just finished, The Black Count, by Tom Reiss. Good work of history, and a really incredible person, this Alex Dumas. I guess a good soldier knows there's a right way and a wrong way to do things. I also suppose that, soldiers are led into wrongful wars. Sadly, this is history, all history, ours as a nation, and also many other nations.

Most folks I know who served, and BTW, did so because they felt it their duty to do so, would second guess doing it again. But at the same time, they know it did do them some real good - not the killing mind you.

This is BTW, what made Alex Dumas,the person, stand out. As a Republican he felt. (BTW, it should be mentioned that the word had a different meaning then - not a political party, but someone who believed in democracy and the freedom of all men), that it was his duty to free the oppressed, and nothing more. He absolutely hated killing people, and spent most of his time protecting innocent civilians - which is well noted by documentation from his time.

The problem with the military - and the U.S. is the best, is this --- most have been wrongly used throughout history. Take Napoleon Bonaparte, please! No seriously, he misused a military that over a long dark time had finally started to overcome the bad things a military can be capable of - he did it by conceit and treachery, all, simply by using a minority of evil racists and rich landowners who didn't give a damn about democracy. Kind of like Hitler, his aim was to be Emperor. How very ironic it was.

He promised his soldiers 6 acres of land - they followed him, not knowing why or what for - many killed themselves in the deserts attempting to take over Egypt. They died wearing wool, carrying 40 pounds on their backs with no water in the desert. Many laughed saying, so here's the six acres we've been promised.

But no - the U.S. military isn't like that. We do have in my opinion, the best and longest standing democracy. Our military isn't political. So where did we go wrong? (I don't blame them!!!) (they're us!).

Peace!

But, CAP isn't even pro military, atleast the one here isn't. They just go try to find downed planes and teach kids a lot of skills, like navigation and wilderness survival and first aid. Jrotc programs could be argued that they encourage people to join the military, but they hardly militarize kids and they are great programs for kids who do want to join the military. It greatly benefits you to take jrotc in highschool if you plan on joining the military when you get out. They also just teach a lot of stuff that "normal classes" do not. They taught us far more about us history than history class ever did, they also taught a lot about life skills like how various bank systems work and banks vs credit unions and the various different kinds of loans you can get including all of the student loans for college and how to plan for college and be successful. I think, the way they are run now anyway, jrotc programs are hugely beneficial. We also learned a lot about how to interact in a formal setting, which is something many people have no understanding of.