Why does everyone think the United States is a democracy?

Everyone that I know, and probably most of the people you know, think that the United States is a democracy.

I'm not sure how or why this notion has taken over the country, but I think that its implications can be frightful.

I never thought much about this topic until someone sent me a link to a youtube video about the american form of governemnt

What do you think? Should we be a democracy? Is the video linked above accurate? Is there a rebuttal to the video?

President is chosen by the electoral college. Federally, the electoral college does not have to vote based on the state's popular vote...

Representatives and Senators are elected by the majority. The representatives make laws, not the majority of the people.

Senators, although elected by the people, should be appointed by the states, the way the country was founded. After all, if it isn't good for a state, the state should have a say.

Why do we vote then??

If we are not a democracy why do we vote for leaders?

And why did bush say we need make the world safe for democracy?

Does the majority rule?

we dont you dumbazz

the only constitutional right to vote goes to the electoral college

all those silly amendments mean is ignorant people cant be denied the right to vote

IN THEIR STATE

we dont elect the president or the vice pres

read the 12th amendment

the pres doesnt pick who the VP is

the electoral college does

we dont vote for our "leaders" as you claim

dumbazz...

quoting the 12th

""they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President,""

""The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President,""

oblamer doesnt pick his VP....

this is why I say the way we elect oblamer is unconstitutional

So your saying that democracy would have a vote on every issue. instead of elected representives that make the vote. or im i over thinking it?

Because it really seems to me like the majority rules. well besides the filibuster.