Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

While liberals try to fabricate a "war on women" by the GOP, it's liberal policies actually waging the real war on women.

Whenever a liberal accuses someone else of an offense, you can be sure they are committing that offense themselves.

Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitationsterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years – and there are perhaps 100 more dating back to the late 1990s, according to state documents and interviews.

From 1997 to 2010, the state paid doctors $147,460 to perform the procedure, according to a database of contracted medical services for state prisoners.

The women were signed up for the surgery while they were pregnant and housed at either the California Institution for Women in Corona or Valley State Prison for Women in Chowchilla, which is now a men's prison.

Former inmates and prisoner advocates maintain that prison medical staff coerced the women, targeting those deemed likely to return to prison in the future.

Crystal Nguyen, a former Valley State Prison inmate who worked in the prison's infirmary during 2007, said she often overheard medical staff asking inmates who had served multipleprison terms to agree to be sterilized.

certain birth control products, advocated by liberalism, also many times have a side effect of f**king a woman's insides

enough to cause problems in future pregnancies. you're right....when a liberal screams about others, in regards to, race, gender,

and class....it's because he/she is all those things they're accusing others of.

I see nothing wrong with this. These women don't need to have more babies for us to take care of.

lol. you'd make a great nazi. come on over to the dark side, hon. no. i seriously am having a hard time caring

about it, myself. i see the sterilization of malcontents a very reasonable solution to many problems.

lol. you'd make a great nazi. come on over to the dark side, hon. no. i seriously am having a hard time caring

about it, myself. i see the sterilization of malcontents a very reasonable solution to many problems.

Me too, actually.

And there you have it. The liberal war on women.

Nope. Nice try, though.

While liberals try to fabricate a "war on women" by the GOP, it's liberal policies actually waging the real war on women.

Whenever a liberal accuses someone else of an offense, you can be sure they are committing that offense themselves.

GOOFBALL IS LYING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OPERATIONS WERE WITH APPROVAL. THE GOOFY BOY & HABITUAL LIAR STEPPED ON AGAIN!!!!!!

GOOFBALL IS LYING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL OPERATIONS WERE WITH APPROVAL. THE GOOFY BOY & HABITUAL LIAR STEPPED ON AGAIN!!!!!!

Another liberal fighting in the War on Women.

Repeating for Shintao because he can't read:

At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years – and there are perhaps 100 more dating back to the late 1990s, according to state documents and interviews.

"Without Approval" is an INTENTIONAL distortion of facts. The QUOTED parts of the story SAYS the inmates agreed...even if persuaded and obviosly the institutions agreed...since they paid for it.

I think you can find plenty of right wingers who'd ADVOCATE...that repeat offenders ought to not e breeding.

This...also....is a thing that happened over time...and California's state Govt has had both Dem + Gop Govs but....the general impression most have of those operating prisons is NOT that they are all that Liberal.

"Frequent Flyers" in the prison system have a high % of being addicts or mentally not okay...and....Either can be irresponsible on MANY levels...as well as apt to be making the same mistakes and crimes in the future. I could well imagine it's good advice to such persons to get the tubes tied....on many levels. I don't see it as a partisan/ideology issue really,nor is this an isolated matter. Similar advice is likely given in other states,circumstance.

"Without Approval" is an INTENTIONAL distortion of facts. The QUOTED parts of the story SAYS the inmates agreed...even if persuaded and obviosly the institutions agreed...since they paid for it.

I think you can find plenty of right wingers who'd ADVOCATE...that repeat offenders ought to not e breeding.

This...also....is a thing that happened over time...and California's state Govt has had both Dem + Gop Govs but....the general impression most have of those operating prisons is NOT that they are all that Liberal.

"Frequent Flyers" in the prison system have a high % of being addicts or mentally not okay...and....Either can be irresponsible on MANY levels...as well as apt to be making the same mistakes and crimes in the future. I could well imagine it's good advice to such persons to get the tubes tied....on many levels. I don't see it as a partisan/ideology issue really,nor is this an isolated matter. Similar advice is likely given in other states,circumstance.

the interesting thing here for me is that complete idiots like goofball at least show some sign that they know its wrong, which, however small, is still a sign. even it it's only flapping fish lips, the attraction of running a hook through those lips is irresistible, and very soon, call it an instant, reveals the lie, the motivation and the desperation

It's against the law.

What part of that do you NOT understand?

Whenever liberals tell you that Republicans are waging a war on women, you can see here that it's liberals that are actually waging that war.

the interesting thing here for me is that complete idiots like goofball at least show some sign that they know its wrong, which, however small, is still a sign. even it it's only flapping fish lips, the attraction of running a hook through those lips is irresistible, and very soon, call it an instant, reveals the lie, the motivation and the desperation

Let me repeat for the low information, public school educated:

Former inmates and prisoner advocates maintain that prison medical staff coerced the women, targeting those deemed likely to return to prison in the future.

those that refuse to stop them are as guilty as those using it/policies of law without questioning the authority within language arts fabricating societal evolution to rule over genetic continuation each ancestor added to the atmosphere.

Keep debating between symbolism over substance and mind over matter philosophies, and nothing will change humanity back to understanding being homo sapien ancestors.

I see nothing wrong with this. These women don't need to have more babies for us to take care of.

AGREED !!!!

This is just an irresponsibilty issue. :)

Too bad they don't sterilize all welfare women on it more than 5 years.

If you drive drunk you lose your license.

If you abuse your freedom by assaulting people you lose your freedoms.

You reproduce but don't take any responsibility you should get sterilized.

This isn't a liberal, conservative, or a libertarian issue it is about being responsible.

None of these women were sterilized without thier consent. So the title of your OP is a LIE.

Boy, you really did a lot of searching and scraping to pull up this obscure story! Not to mention, it has nothing to do with liberal or conservative. Any proof this prison is a Democratic Center of some kind?

The conservative war on women is obvious to anyone with a brain. Pull your head out of the sand (or where-ever else you stick it).

Boy, you really did a lot of searching and scraping to pull up this obscure story! Not to mention, it has nothing to do with liberal or conservative. Any proof this prison is a Democratic Center of some kind?

The conservative war on women is obvious to anyone with a brain. Pull your head out of the sand (or where-ever else you stick it).

Democrats run the state. Have for decades.

Why would you run from the truth like this? Be proud of your achievements!

None of these women were sterilized without thier consent. So the title of your OP is a LIE.

Another liberal that doesn't understand what coercion means.

If you drive drunk you lose your license.

If you abuse your freedom by assaulting people you lose your freedoms.

You reproduce but don't take any responsibility you should get sterilized.

This isn't a liberal, conservative, or a libertarian issue it is about being responsible.

So the law is irrelevant?

Ahhhh ha ha ha! Golfboy got caught again lying.

All those women agreed to the procedure, no one complained. No laws were broken. Only in the twisted bizarre-land of the RW nutcases is helping someone "victimizing" them.

Feeding people with food stamps "victimizes" them.

Housing a single mother in subsidized shelters "victimizes" her.

Providing free healthcare for poor people "victimizes" them.

Helping a poor teen get a safe, affordable abortion "victimizes" them.

These women got free heathcare for pregnancies that would've threatened their lives, some deliberately went to prison so they could GET healthcare. Here's the parts of the article the LYING POS golfboy troll deliberately edited out.

"In an interview with CIR, Heinrich said he provided an important service to poor women who faced health risks in future pregnancies because of past Caesarean sections. The 69-year-old Bay Area physician denied pressuring anyone and expressed surprise that local contract doctors had charged for the surgeries.

The top medical manager at Valley State Prison from 2005 to 2008 characterized the surgeries as an empowerment issue for female inmates, providing them the same options as women on the outside. Daun Martin, a licensed psychologist, also claimed that some pregnant women, particularly those on drugs or who were homeless, would commit crimes so they could return to prison for better health care.

"Everybody was operating on the fact that this was a perfectly reasonable thing to do,"

"I'm sure that on a couple of occasions, (Heinrich) brought an issue to me saying, 'Mary Smith is having a medical emergency' kind of thing, "and we ought to have a tubal ligation. She's got six kids. Can we do it?'" Martin said. "And I said, 'Well, if you document it as a medical emergency, perhaps.' "

Heinrich said he offered tubal ligations only to pregnant inmates with a history of at least three C-sections. Additional pregnancies would be dangerous for these women, Heinrich said, because scar tissue inside the uterus could tear.

"I figured that's just what happens in prison – that that's the best kind of doctor you're going get," Montano said. "He never told me nothing about nothing."

Montano eagerly agreed to the surgery and said she still considers it a positive in her life."

They were misled. At least one even reports that they got her consent while she was in labor. And they violated rules that had been put in place. They didn't get approval from the proper powers. Twist it anyway you want, but the OP is not a lie.

they could have said no.

that they didn't further proves they shouldn't be breeding.

you cons should love this! all the less democrats, right? ;)

Honestly were it up to me I wouldn't give them any say at all. That, or make welfare very very hard to get.

Ahhhh ha ha ha! Golfboy got caught again lying.

All those women agreed to the procedure, no one complained. No laws were broken. Only in the twisted bizarre-land of the RW nutcases is helping someone "victimizing" them.

Why can't you liberals learn to read?